What is your favourite cheese?

altiva

Many years ago while in college, I took a trip across Europe, finishing in Holland. I actually took the train to Gouda and bought my favorite souvenier-a HUGE wheel of Aged Gouda, it was the BEST! We also took a bike tour in Amsterdam and visited a cheese maker, they had many different flavored goudas, my favorite was the old.

You should try the Belgian cheeses...together with some Belgian beers, they are absolute heaven and come in 100's of varieties! Was in Bruges recently, and there we were told Belgium has the second most cheese varieties in the World, after France. not bad for such a small country.

I've found very few cheeses I don't like even a little. My favorites are all of the soft, ripened cheeses like Camembert & Brie and, when I can, the stinkier the better. A co-worker came to my room in Oostende, Belgium while I was writing specifications to repair a U.S. Navy Minesweeper and snacking on some cheese & crackers from a nearby grocery store. He sniffed the air & asked, "Did you just change a baby's diaper in here?" That's what I'm talking about!

Haven't experinced alot of cheese (not to big a fan) but I would say smoked Gouda is the one i like best. and even though I cook with it velveta would be my least fav.

I like smoked Gouda too! I think it's not very high style in cheeses,

you are supposed to like something high and fancy. But, then, I like

all cheeses. The exception are those which smell with ammonia. I

don't like the smell.

There was a post a few years back about buying wheels of dutch cheese in aruba or curacao.

I mentioned that I wasn't sure I wanted an entire wheel and wondered if anyone knew if they would cut the cheese. Was either a group of WAY too serious folks or they didn't want to encourage my juvenile sense of humor, but no responses.

On a more serious note, hard to go wrong with any of the Cabot brand cheeses, esp the Cheddars. Great pricing on those at Walmart.

Ran into a female inmate in one of the jails I work at a few years ago, whose 1st name was Velveeta.... kinda wondered if maybe she murdered mom for that moniker *L*

Favorite: Good, fresh goat cheese. Heaven.

Close second: Parrano (try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised).

Third: Feta (on a freshly prepared gyro or salad -- yum).

Least favorite: that fake "American" cheese stuff they put on burgers at fast food places.

There was a post a few years back about buying wheels of dutch cheese in aruba or curacao.

I mentioned that I wasn't sure I wanted an entire wheel and wondered if anyone knew if they would cut the cheese. Was either a group of WAY too serious folks or they didn't want to encourage my juvenile sense of humor, but no responses.

On a more serious note, hard to go wrong with any of the Cabot brand cheeses, esp the Cheddars. Great pricing on those at Walmart.

Ran into a female inmate in one of the jails I work at a few years ago, whose 1st name was Velveeta.... kinda wondered if maybe she murdered mom for that moniker *L*

I never knew that you could buy and import a whole wheel of cheese.

How did they manage to bring it back home? Cheese is food, and there

are strict regulations on what food you can bring or not. And, it

would be classified as "perishable".

Favorites:

Drunken Goat

Grana Padano

Manchego

Least Favorites:

Pepper Jack

Brie (haven't found one that I like yet)

Casu Marzu (ok, I haven't tried it personally, but its on a very short list of things I would not ever try, even once).

• 2 weeks later...
Favorites:

Drunken Goat

Grana Padano

Manchego

Least Favorites:

Pepper Jack

Brie (haven't found one that I like yet)

Casu Marzu (ok, I haven't tried it personally, but its on a very short list of things I would not ever try, even once).

Casu Marzu..isn't that the maggot cheese? OMG...disgusting..WTH would anyone want to eat that???

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure I really have a favorite, though I usually go for the stronger cheeses, 7yr old cheddar ranks high on the list, bleu is way up there.

It's hard to beat a camping trip with bagels for breakfast topped with brie and smoked salmon.

I had to look up Casu Marzu, I have never not been willing to eat something, I'm not sure I could eat that (who the heck am I kidding I probably would try it) but it's still pretty gross

Not sure I really have a favorite, though I usually go for the stronger cheeses, 7yr old cheddar ranks high on the list, bleu is way up there.

It's hard to beat a camping trip with bagels for breakfast topped with brie and smoked salmon.

I had to look up Casu Marzu, I have never not been willing to eat something, I'm not sure I could eat that (who the heck am I kidding I probably would try it) but it's still pretty gross

I love cheese...hate maggots though LOL...so NO Casu Marzu for me!!! You are brave!

Archived