Akaroa-walking trails

My dh and I are looking for some great walking trails that we could do on our own for 3 -4 hours before our tour in the afternoon to see the Pohatu Penguin Reserve. We would have liked to have gone on a mail run but no mail on December 26(Boxing Day).

Thanks for your advice.

Steph

Check out Akaroa dot com...

http://www.akaroa.com/things-to-do

Follow the links to Walking tracks.

However I should point out that most of the tracks will be quite a distance from the township where you land , and could very well be a complete tour in themselves just to get there.

My cousin has just spent the weekend there in a campervan and remarked in an email that there were not any "walking tracks" near where they stopped.

The town itself is very pleasant to walk around in , and I am sure you could find some great town walks.

• 2 weeks later...

We just enjoyed walking around the town with its French influence. It is such a quaint town. There Is a lovely shop that has merino, possum mix clothes and they are really snuggly soft.

When you go to the port, if you turn right you can walk to the lighthouse. Before you get to the lighthouse there is a walkway on the left where you can have a stroll.

I would not be worried a out a half day strolling akaroa. It was my favourite port for strolling.

After our harbor cruise in Akaroa my husband went hiking and I went shoping. I believe there was some kind of nature reserve to the right or left where the boats docks. There are groups of local people at the docks welcoming you and they would be able to help you. Here is a map of trails that might help you out. http://www.akaroa.com/maps/walking-tracks/peninsula

We just enjoyed walking around the town with its French influence. It is such a quaint town. There Is a lovely shop that has merino, possum mix clothes and they are really snuggly soft.

When you go to the port, if you turn right you can walk to the lighthouse. Before you get to the lighthouse there is a walkway on the left where you can have a stroll.

I would not be worried a out a half day strolling akaroa. It was my favourite port for strolling.

The walkway to the left was an old cemetery some of the of the stones were cracked from the earthquake,we saw flowers and birds and learned some history from reading the inscriptions on the stones.We had a pleasant peaceful stroll.

• 3 months later...
My dh and I are looking for some great walking trails that we could do on our own for 3 -4 hours before our tour in the afternoon to see the Pohatu Penguin Reserve. We would have liked to have gone on a mail run but no mail on December 26(Boxing Day).

Thanks for your advice.

Steph

We are going on the Solstice in November 2013 and also doing the penguins in the afternoon.

Our friends from Christchurch said not to miss the "Giant's House", it's an artist's garden with beautiful mosaic sculptures.

http://www.thegiantshouse.co.nz/

Try this site for walks:

http://www.akaroa.com/maps/walking-tracks/peninsula.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate any ideas of things to see or do around Akaroa.

Steph

We are on this cruise (and Roll Call) with you. We are looking at walks/hikes around this port too. Thinking about doing the 12:30 4WD Pohatu Sea Kayaking Safari tour so we'd like to walk around and see some of the area before. My mom is taking the TranzAlpine Train thru the ship so Julio and I are planning something for our day. Maybe we can meet up and hike together if that works.

Connie (TX)

Archived