45 minute layover in ATL on SW doable

andymattmom

We are booked on the Equinox in January. We return on a Monday (11th). I believe when I looked there are only 2 ships at Port Everglades that day since it is a weekday. We are scheduled to dock at 7AM. I have us booked on the 1245 flight out of FLL. I'm not worried about making that, but the connection is through Atlanta and a 45 minute layover which scares me. I haven't gone through Atlanta in years. Both flights on through SW.

Is this doable or would the 330pm flight getting in at 10PM be better. I just didn't want to get home super late because my kids need to get back to college on Tuesday AM early. I also don't want my luggage to miss the connection either as we live 1.5 hours from the IND airport.

Thoughts if any.

We are booked on the Equinox in January. We return on a Monday (11th). I believe when I looked there are only 2 ships at Port Everglades that day since it is a weekday. We are scheduled to dock at 7AM. I have us booked on the 1245 flight out of FLL. I'm not worried about making that, but the connection is through Atlanta and a 45 minute layover which scares me. I haven't gone through Atlanta in years. Both flights on through SW.

Is this doable or would the 330pm flight getting in at 10PM be better. I just didn't want to get home super late because my kids need to get back to college on Tuesday AM early. I also don't want my luggage to miss the connection either as we live 1.5 hours from the IND airport.

Thoughts if any.

I think ATL has a legal minimum connection time of about 50 minutes. You could maybe make the 45 minutes but it would worry me to death.

Thoughts if any.

If Southwest is allowing you to book the ticket, they feel you can make the connection. Remember that all Southwest flights are going to be in one terminal.

We were supposed to have a 35 minute layover in ATL a couple of weeks ago. The flight from HOU was delayed, and we were getting off that flight about 20 minutes before our next flight was to leave. We RAN down the hall way, down the escalator to plane train. Took plane train 2 stops, off and back up the escalator. RAN down to departing gate. Everyone else was already on the plane. Agent said we had to gate check carryons, and had to RUN get on the plane before they closed the door. We barely made it, and they closed the door as soon as we got on. We were SHOCKED to see both checked bags and both carryons, when we arrived at our final destination. I'm really surprised we made it, but they definitely know how to move the luggage.

We are very familiar with ATL, and if you aren't or are unable to run, I would be very concerned of not making the flight. The first plane delayed was unpredictable, but could happen any flight. This was flying Delta.

Edited by cruising grandma

Thanks

Southwest had the flights together when I searched FLL to IND. Would love to take the nonstop at 1045am but know better.

You could probably easily make the 10:45 flight from FLL. You would need to be at airport around 9:15, and taxis only take about 15-20 minutes from port to FLL. Most cruises, it isn't a problem getting off by 8:00-8:30. I don't mind layovers in ATL, but would probably change to that nonstop.

I do a 50 minute layover in the late evening in ATL on Delta fairly frequently for business travel. It's no fun at all, but it's also the only way I can get home that night by the time meetings end at the mothership up north. I've never not made it, but I have been the last passenger skidding into the connecting gate.

Thanks for all the replies.

We are a fairly active family, kids 19 and 20 and hubby and I can move fast so running to get a connection not a worry if we have to.

I really like the idea of the nonstop, but what worries me is if the ship is delayed at all. I'd planned on doing self disembarkation. Of course my hubby and sons are no help at all just leave it to me to plan everything.

Actually in your case, I'd have taken the 10:45 from Port Everglades to FLL. We have done that very easily over the years.:o

We avoid any flights thru ATL when we can in the winter months. Too much weather to be concerned about which makes ATL hold up plane arrivals and departures. Being from the Midwest, we know how bad weather in one area screws up flight timing all over the country. Our mantra...If at all possible, avoid large hubs in winter.

That seems to be what we get anymore when we have a connection in ATL as well, always under an hour. And these are packaged as a flight with a connection, not me choosing 2 flights, so the airline must think its doable.

I have done ATL with a short connection a few times, but never SW. That said, I never had an issue. It does make me nervous though. Good luck.

The good thing about SW is it seems like every time we have flown they have a lot of flights. So if there were a delay on the first one causing a missed connection there would be options. I don't know if that is the case with yours or night, just my experience.

Actually in your case, I'd have taken the 10:45 from Port Everglades to FLL. We have done that very easily over the years.:o

We avoid any flights thru ATL when we can in the winter months. Too much weather to be concerned about which makes ATL hold up plane arrivals and departures. Being from the Midwest, we know how bad weather in one area screws up flight timing all over the country. Our mantra...If at all possible, avoid large hubs in winter.

Since its SW I could easily change and could actually save money in the end and get credit. There are several other flights we could get on I assume if we missed this one, but getting to Indy at 1:40pm would be great and my kids could head back to Purdue late that afternoon. :)

Will think this through. Know it will all work out but like you I like the nonstop. We are flying in the day before the cruise to MCO and driving to FLL (cheaper in the end).

Since its SW I could easily change and could actually save money in the end and get credit. There are several other flights we could get on I assume if we missed this one, but getting to Indy at 1:40pm would be great and my kids could head back to Purdue late that afternoon. :)

Will think this through. Know it will all work out but like you I like the nonstop. We are flying in the day before the cruise to MCO and driving to FLL (cheaper in the end).

I wouldn't try the 10:45 if coming into POM. Or try anything before 10:30. (Even tho you can be at the airport by 8:30 easily)

But the airport is only a 15 min. drive. With only 2 ships, cabs will be plenty. We have done that timed flight at least 4 times, maybe 5. So far, it's been a cinch. In your case, with the ATL stop...no doubt what I would choose. Up to you.;)

Have a great cruise!

I recently saw a web thing about 10 great travel myths

as I recall one was making a connection in Atlanta in under an hour ......

Just because you are on two planes of the same airline, do NOT believe they are gonna be in the same terminal ....

AND THAT means, taking a train or running from one terminal to another

been there, done that ......... since I'm retired I have TIME on my hands. I don't book a connection under less that 2 hours . . . .

I recently saw a web thing about 10 great travel myths

as I recall one was making a connection in Atlanta in under an hour ......

Just because you are on two planes of the same airline, do NOT believe they are gonna be in the same terminal ....

AND THAT means, taking a train or running from one terminal to another

been there, done that ......... since I'm retired I have TIME on my hands. I don't book a connection under less that 2 hours . . . .

Southwest airlines flights at Hartsfield all operate from terminal C.

SW does a great job on close connection times - they got started in business by doing this (quick turnaround times) and I have been flying them for about 35 years!. I would trust SW on this, but not the other airlines.

One bad thing about close connections on SW - you could be in the last boarding group (as others have already boarded), thus you may not be able to sit together and may be in middle seats (no assigned seats on SW).

Edited by DaveOKC

I wouldn't try the 10:45 if coming into POM. Or try anything before 10:30. (Even tho you can be at the airport by 8:30 easily)

But the airport is only a 15 min. drive. With only 2 ships, cabs will be plenty. We have done that timed flight at least 4 times, maybe 5. So far, it's been a cinch. In your case, with the ATL stop...no doubt what I would choose. Up to you.;)

Have a great cruise!

Thanks...

We are going to try the 10:45am. Fingers crossed we have luck like you have. We arrive in FLL and depart from FLL airport. It is nonstop and that is what I always prefer.