Beaches, etc in BDA

sadiwest

I heart BDA (and the rest of you regulars...). My now 6 year old will be coming with us to Bermuda (remember when we were on the trip in 2009 and I'd just found out I was pregnant!?).

We want to take her to the beach. I'd like to avoid the heavily populated ones, and we have an overnight, so how long it takes to get there is not an issue.

It's been a few years since I was there and never visited beaches, anyway.

So. Suggestions for calm beaches visit with her? Considering her limited attention span, something close to a lunch option or other activity would be helpful.

😃

Sandi

I heart BDA (and the rest of you regulars...). My now 6 year old will be coming with us to Bermuda (remember when we were on the trip in 2009 and I'd just found out I was pregnant!?).

We want to take her to the beach. I'd like to avoid the heavily populated ones, and we have an overnight, so how long it takes to get there is not an issue.

So. Suggestions for calm beaches visit with her? Considering her limited attention span, something close to a lunch option or other activity would be helpful.

[emoji2]

Sandi

Any beach with a lunch option is going to be crowded. Beaches that have food and facilities draw people.

So with lunch options.

The baby beach section of Horseshoe is relatively calm.

Tobacco Bay is shallow and calm.

Horseshoe Baby

ef63f6b4f5f94cedb8776e9b5ed15be9.jpg

Tobacco

4d800833f6f5a8c24e215495f971906c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

Sandi

SIX??? Say it isn't so, it can't be.:)

Baby beach at Horseshoe is always a good option. Jobson's Cove is a nice little beach and normally not crowded but it lacks any facilities like a snack bar and no rest rooms. Snorkel Park Beach is not the best by far but it's close by and has all amenities. Tobacco Bay is also good but it can get crowded since it is a small beach plus, it will take awhile to get there but the ferry ride is fun. Shelley Bay Beach and Clearwater Beach have playgrounds. John Smith's Bay is not usually crowded with rest rooms and usually a lunch wagon. I liked Warwick Long Bay and it wasn't crowded at all. If I remember, there was at least a porta potty and seems there might be a lunch wagon there now.

Baby beach at Horseshoe is always a good option. Jobson's Cove is a nice little beach and normally not crowded but it lacks any facilities like a snack bar and no rest rooms. Snorkel Park Beach is not the best by far but it's close by and has all amenities. Tobacco Bay is also good but it can get crowded since it is a small beach plus, it will take awhile to get there but the ferry ride is fun. Shelley Bay Beach and Clearwater Beach have playgrounds. John Smith's Bay is not usually crowded with rest rooms and usually a lunch wagon. I liked Warwick Long Bay and it wasn't crowded at all. If I remember, there was at least a porta potty and seems there might be a lunch wagon there now.

Six, indeed. Time flies. 😃

I'm going to pass on the playground ones. If I know her, she'd want to do that and nothing else.

John Smith's bay you say? I'm intrigued. In all my visits to Bermuda I've never heard of it. I was never a beach person, but DD is. So that is what we shall do!

Thank you!

Six, indeed. Time flies. [emoji2]

I'm going to pass on the playground ones. If I know her, she'd want to do that and nothing else.

John Smith's bay you say? I'm intrigued. In all my visits to Bermuda I've never heard of it. I was never a beach person, but DD is. So that is what we shall do!

Thank you!

I don't think that is the best beach to take a six year old. It is not shallow. The bottom drops away in the water. It is not calm. There can be surf there and strong currents.

0534f23ac062f1ca28f783cce66d8e9d.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

It will take longer to get to John Smith's Bay than to Tobacco Bay. John Smith's Bay is not calm or shallow. I would not call what they have there rest rooms. They are porta potties. I think Tobacco would be a better with a six year old.

Edited by Charles4515

Sadiwest, trying to remember if I have your email address since it's been so long since we were in contact. I'm not finding anything that looks like it could be you. Can you give me just maybe the first 3 letters so I can see if I have a match?

Sadiwest, trying to remember if I have your email address since it's been so long since we were in contact. I'm not finding anything that looks like it could be you. Can you give me just maybe the first 3 letters so I can see if I have a match?

Umm it's reaaallllyy similar to my username. 😉

I tried to PM you but it's hard to navigate with a smart phone. If you know how please do....also sent you a friend request through here. I was going to send you a picture of the little one.

I run a Bermuda group which I'm not supposed to link to here :). But people have mentioned Black Bay Beach. It's recently been developed by WEDCO the people who do all the development at Dockyard. It's about 5-10 minutes away from the docks by bus. Has food, bathroom facilities and rentals. Also calm fairly shallow water.

Might be worth checking out. If you don't like it you can always hop back on the bus and head for Horseshoe. Keep in mind that all the South shore beaches will have surf.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I run a Bermuda group which I'm not supposed to link to here :). But people have mentioned Black Bay Beach. It's recently been developed by WEDCO the people who do all the development at Dockyard. It's about 5-10 minutes away from the docks by bus. Has food, bathroom facilities and rentals. Also calm fairly shallow water.

Might be worth checking out. If you don't like it you can always hop back on the bus and head for Horseshoe. Keep in mind that all the South shore beaches will have surf.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless they've done an upgrade, and no one has reported they have, limited snacks and porta potties is a more accurate description of their facilities than food and bathrooms. Small beach, not remotely comparable to Horseshoe Bay. Being close to Dockyard is its major asset.

This is the blurb from Bermuda-attractions.com ...

Black Bay Beach: Located close to the dockyard in Sandys, this is a nice beach that offers stunning sunset views. The beach is also good for snorkeling and if you love sea glasses, you will find plenty of them here and of different colors. It has a concession stand renting snorkel gears, water toys, hammocks, paddle boards etc. You can have water, soft drinks and even beer. There are portable toilets as well.

I was on my phone using the CC app before and couldn't manage the cut and paste :D

Black Bay Beach: Located close to the dockyard in Sandys, this is a nice beach that offers stunning sunset views. The beach is also good for snorkeling and if you love sea glasses, you will find plenty of them here and of different colors. It has a concession stand renting snorkel gears, water toys, hammocks, paddle boards etc. You can have water, soft drinks and even beer. There are portable toilets as well.

I was on my phone using the CC app before and couldn't manage the cut and paste :D

Bermuda Attractions is a web site known for misinformation or outdated info. Run by someone in India who does it for click bait ads. There are better local websites. I never link to it or send anyone to it. As I read it you are verifying that in this case the information given is correct. It is good to know what is there. I saw that something was there but from a minibus driving by so it was heard to tell. It sounds like a place people might want to go on their departure day that want to stay close to the Dockyard. So I have a question. You don't mention chair rentals which many want. So....there are no chair rentals?

Edited by Charles4515

It will take longer to get to John Smith's Bay than to Tobacco Bay. John Smith's Bay is not calm or shallow. I would not call what they have there rest rooms. They are porta potties. I think Tobacco would be a better with a six year old.

When ya' gotta' go, a porta potty works.

This is from our friend in Bermuda who has 1 year old and 2 year old grandchildren, "I haven't been to the beach in many years, but the family likes to go to John Smith's Bay, lately".

As I said, ports potties and no real food.

The "nice beach" statement is laughable when comparing it to Horseshoe Bay, Elbow Beach, Warwick Long Bay, etc. As Charles said, that website is run by someone who lives in India.

Again, the main attraction is that it's very close to Dockyard.

Umm it's reaaallllyy similar to my username. 😉

I tried to PM you but it's hard to navigate with a smart phone. If you know how please do....also sent you a friend request through here. I was going to send you a picture of the little one.

There's really no way to PM on CC. Looked thru my contacts and I have nothing for you.:( Hate to post my email here but maybe if we're on at the same time I can post it then delete right after you get it. Maybe we can somehow connect on FB, you may be able to find me with just my first name. Looked they our old roll call for any clues.

There's really no way to PM on CC. Looked thru my contacts and I have nothing for you.:( Hate to post my email here but maybe if we're on at the same time I can post it then delete right after you get it. Maybe we can somehow connect on FB, you may be able to find me with just my first name. Looked they our old roll call for any clues.

I have your first name, but typing that into Facebook garnered me a LOT of results. Ha.

Trying to be creative here....I can't think of any other way but to have a last name or something else.

I am on AOL, if that helps your search for emails to me. :)

My profile picture is my husband and me with my arms on his shoulders. My maiden name of Anderson is included, so CAS.

If I found you then you have a request. If not then I need more clues and someone with the same initials will be baffled

Bermuda Attractions is a web site known for misinformation or outdated info. Run by someone in India who does it for click bait ads. There are better local websites. I never link to it or send anyone to it. As I read it you are verifying that in this case the information given is correct. It is good to know what is there. I saw that something was there but from a minibus driving by so it was heard to tell. It sounds like a place people might want to go on their departure day that want to stay close to the Dockyard. So I have a question. You don't mention chair rentals which many want. So....there are no chair rentals?

I've been going to Bermuda on a regular basis since 1967 and I've found the information there to be mostly accurate and up to date. We also have a number of local Bermudians in our group who have said the same.

He says right on the site that he gets his information from locals who have become his friends through many trips. I do the same.

Black Bay Beach has hammocks and swings - not sure about the chairs. People were so impressed with the hammocks, it's all I've heard about.

We visited John Smith's Bay 2 years ago. They had just completed the construction of absolutely beautiful changing rooms and restrooms. Best facilities on the island.

We visited John Smith's Bay 2 years ago. They had just completed the construction of absolutely beautiful changing rooms and restrooms. Best facilities on the island.

That is good to know. I have not been there in the last two years. Thank you for the update.

I've been going to Bermuda on a regular basis since 1967 and I've found the information there to be mostly accurate and up to date. We also have a number of local Bermudians in our group who have said the same.

He says right on the site that he gets his information from locals who have become his friends through many trips. I do the same.

Black Bay Beach has hammocks and swings - not sure about the chairs. People were so impressed with the hammocks, it's all I've heard about.

So you have not actually been there.

Another problem is that things change. Even in Bermuda. Like my saying that John's Smiths has porta potties. Someone who has been there more recently reports has now reported there are new facilities. I would like to read a report about Black Bay from someone who has been there this year.

As far as Bermuda-Attractions, we will have to disagree. I also have also been visiting Bermuda for years. I have noticed inaccurate info on that site. I would rather rely on local Bermudians, reading the Royal Gazette, Bernews, and on recent visiter reports, than someone in India.

Edited by Charles4515