Monterey

RMS Olympic

Looking to find out what this classic ship is like...anyone out there experienced this ship?

What should I expect on a Med cruise on her?

Note: this is one American that does not expect the type of product Royal Carribean puts out.....I'm interested in something different.

Capt Tom - Hate to tell you but MONTEREY is for sale! She is steam-driven and so I suppose her days were numbered anyway. I have not sailed on her but believe she was an classic, older vessel.

I have cruised on MELODY in the Med and MSC do that area very well and for a very reasonable price. With price in mind (you only get what you pay for is my motto) - we enjoyed our cruise very much. We had a large cabin, great food and wine, very friendly crew and a terrific mix of passengers from all over the world. Because of this, announcements (and they are thankfully few - no bingo, art auction calls etc) can be made in up to 5 different languages, depending on the number of passengers aboard. It didn't worry us at all - in fact it became a sort of game to try to figure out what the announcement was all about before it was broadcast in English!

I think you might enjoy a Med cruise on any of the MSC vessels - Lirica, Melody and the new(ish) Armonia.

Enjoy!

hanks for the response....yes the Monterey is old....believe she was the old Mariposa on the Hawaii run way back when. She is small, and I prefer the smaller ships, you get to know the crew better and they are not so overworked.

She (Monterey)has been modified so much...is now a peculiar ship in layout...but thats what has me interested. I am surprised she is up for sale.....will probably go to the breakers as there is little market for her these days when everyone wants new, big, jumbo everything.

Thanks again.

MONTEREY has been that since 1956; MARIPOSA was her sister ship (since scrapped).

I can't think of many people I know who have been on her (though those who have liked her very much) so I can hardly give you advice other than that if you want to go on MONTEREY do it now; 2004 may be her last year with MSC.

If you do go please do report back as I'd be absolutely fascinated to hear what you think of her!

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Capt. Tom wrote:

what ships are sailing out of Sydney on a routine basis these days besides the Pacific Sun? Any old ships?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Pacific Sky is the other older vessel based in Sydney. As for other old ships, Funchal will be based out of Fremantle for cruises up the west coast of Australia.

Of the newer vessels there will be Sapphire Princess and Pacific Princess out of Sydney. The rest are on world tours, such as QE2, Aurora, Oriana, Saga Rose, etc.

Cheers

Thanks hornblower. As for other Aussie based ships....I was curious as to what ever happened to the former Enrico C which I think either Star Lauro or MSC had in operation down under. Now Im curious if the old girl has been scrapped....

I am still thinking of sailing on the Pacific Sky late November 2005......it would be a second homecoming for me....having sailed her as the TSS Fairsky under the Sitmar flag. To board her 20 years later would be a very interesting experience. The only issue would be the last week of November first week of December is when the kids get out of school...Im not sure what the cruise would be like....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt. Tom:

I was curious as to what ever happened to the former Enrico C which I think either Star Lauro or MSC had in operation down under. Now Im curious if the old girl has been scrapped...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, she has been. She was scrapped in 2002.

She had been sold by Costa to Starlauro in 1994 and was renamed SYMPHONY. Starlauro was renamed MSC in 1995 following the ACCHILE LAURO sinking (Starlauro has always been owned by MSC; it was formed in 1987 when Flotta Lauro's cruise operatiosn were bought by MSC). The ship was chartered to Golden Sun Cruises in 2000 and renamed AEGEAN SPIRIT. She was renamed OCEAN GLORY I in 2001 and was supposed to begin cruises from Dover but after arrival at Dover was arrested after failing safety and hygeine inspections at which point the British company who were sub-chartering her from Golden Sun backed out having realised what condition the ship was in. She was scrapped in 2002 at Alang after being auctioned.

I believe she remained in relatively decent condition through her MSC career but her last two years, under Golden Sun, were a real disaster; an acquaintance worked on her during that period and some of the stories he has about her are really rather shocking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am still thinking of sailing on the Pacific Sky late November 2005......it would be a second homecoming for me....having sailed her as the TSS Fairsky under the Sitmar flag.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I say go for it... It's not upscale but everyone I know who has been on PACIFIC SKY loved it.

On the other hand you will probably be disappointed in the ship's decor as in her early years with Princess she was completely redecorated in the sort of painfully dull style that Princess is well known for. She's not unattractive internally but the original style and flair is gone. Still a great ship though (I sailed on her in 1998 as she was nearing the end of her North American career).

Doug Newman

Cruise Critic Message Boards Host

e-mail: shiploverny AT yahoo DOT com

Archived