What do you wish you brought but didnt?

Yankee6

I wish I'd brought nicer clothes. We usually cruise DCL, where I've always felt appropriately dressed. On the Divina there were some snazzy dressers, and I would have felt more comfortable had I brought nicer clothes, for example nice sundresses for day and real formals and dinner dresses for the evening. That isn't to say that everyone was dressed up, because I saw plenty of yoga pants, tank tops, jean shorts, and tattoos in the MDR and around the ship, but overall it was a snazzier looking crowd than DCL. At no time was I made to feel uncomfortable by anyone, so nothing for you to worry about if you prefer to dress a little more casually.

From my wife's perspective, hairdryer(yes, they're not allowed but...the provided hairdryers are not good) and clothes pegs to peg swimsuits on chairs on balcony and towels on sunloungers. A powerstrip is also very useful(one without surge protection). To kinda twist your question, l would bring less clothes!

From my wife's perspective, hairdryer(yes, they're not allowed but...the provided hairdryers are not good) and clothes pegs to peg swimsuits on chairs on balcony and towels on sunloungers. A powerstrip is also very useful(one without surge protection). To kinda twist your question, l would bring less clothes!

So we can't bring our own hair dryers? That's odd.

Please explain...thanks

So we can't bring our own hair dryers? That's odd.

Please explain...thanks

Most lines forbid PAX bringing any heat-producing electric appliances, like coffee makers, liquid heaters, hair dryers, and such. also, don't try to bring your own extension cords and power strips.

Most lines forbid PAX bringing any heat-producing electric appliances, like coffee makers, liquid heaters, hair dryers, and such. also, don't try to bring your own extension cords and power strips.

Some of what you said is true. However, we have always taken:

Hair Dryer

Extension cords

Power Strips.

We have cruised RCI (Harmony), Celebrity (Reflection), MSC )Divina), Princess(Regal) and NCL (Escape) within the past six months and never had a problem with any of those items and never hide them. There were in plain sight when we left the cabin and never were told to remove them. Just don't leave them plugged in.

In addition, on NCL they do provide coffee makers in veranda cabins in the Caribbean.

On our last cruise, with a different line which had several formal nights, my husband forgot his cufflinks and his dress shirt didn't have any buttons. Coming up with a temporary fix was an amusing challenge

......................... and the solution you came up with? C'mon, share. It may be helpful in the future for others! Or else, another solution to prevent this scenario: only purchase shirts which have buttons on as well as slits for cufflinks. ;p

The problem I have is that I'll bring things that I don't use. So the next time, I leave them behind, bring other stuff and then regret not bringing what I had on the previous trip!

Also, I tend to overpack. I bring a minimum 3 outfits per day - 1 for daywear on the ship, 1 for going ashore and 1 for evening wear. Then I'll add a couple more items "just in case". Then there'll be the assortment of footwear that has to suit what I've packed, not to mention the costume jewellery! I even brought home clothes I didn't wear on a 30 night trip 'cos we had a very generous weight allowance with the airline. So, like Ken (CruiseIreland), I'd turn the question around to "What do you wish you didn't bring, but brought?!!

Edited by Beamafar

I've learned through many cruises to bring a few old fashioned wooden clothes pins to clip wet bathing suits to the loungers on the veranda at night so that they can dry and not get blown overboard. I also bring fresh dryer sheets (in a zip lock bag) to put into the suitcase that gets used as the dirty clothes hamper throughout the week.

Going on our first MSC Divina cruise in October but I've been watching many cruise vlogs. Many say bring your own pillow as the ones on the ship are awful.

from what ive read the pillows and also the beds were uncomfortable, but they have been much improved so I hope that will be the case.

We have been on Divina twice. Love it! The second time, I brought my own pillow. The first time, the pillow was not my favorite and, when I asked, our housekeeper brought me five more to see if I would like them. They were better, and I slept well. But, I just brought my own pillow this time to assuage any concerns. I also love vegemite on toast for breakfast, so I brought my own since they do not have it in the buffet. I would say if there is a particular brand of something you like bring it. We saw some Brits who love one kind of tea. And, the ship did not have the one kind of tea and they were put out. They should have just brought that one kind of tea themselves. Problem solved. We also brought conditioner since they do not provide it. We love their shampoo and body wash, but sadly could not buy any on board to bring home. Oh, bring a Tervis tumbler with top and handle. We brought 12 oz kinds and they were great for the buffet and taking ashore. I also brought far less clothes with me the second time then first. But, was sure to bring a few more dressy items, as, at night, many folks dress up beautifully. We also brought our own ping pong gear and a small soccer ball so we did not have to bother asking for it from staff. Oh, and bring clips to hold your towels to your lounge chairs. We got soooo many envious looks due to our snazzy clips. And, if you like music, some of the smaller, private decks are away from the music, so we had a small blue tooth speaker for our enjoyment.

I honestly cannot come up with a thing. In our 20 or so cruises we have learned to pack less, not more. We are not particular when it comes to brands and there is nothing we usually use or eat at home that would be difficult to live without for a week or two.