Names for Future Viking Ocean Ships?

Senior Gators

My wife and I were having some fun coming up with proposed names for Viking Oceans upcoming cruise ships to add to the line of current and future ships i.e., Viking Star, Viking Sea, Viking Sky, Viking Sun, Viking Spirit and Viking Song. We thought others might want to add to our suggestions or indicate ones they particularly liked (or disliked). Anyway here are some suggestions for Viking officials to peruse and have a laugh over. Or maybe they will give a prize of a gift cruise for a winning name (wishful thinking)!

In no particular order ones we have come up with so far are:

1. Viking Season (s)

2. Viking Snow

3. Viking Spring

4. Viking Sprite

5. Viking Spray

6. Viking Salute

7. Viking Strength

8. Viking Strong

9. Viking Success

9. Viking Summer

10. Viking Sunshine

11. Viking Style

12. Viking Saga

13. Viking Sage

14. Viking Sojourn

There have been a number of suggestions on another thread, but I'm not sure which one. Those with a better memory will soon chime in and share where other names have been proposed.

There have been a number of suggestions on another thread, but I'm not sure which one. Those with a better memory will soon chime in and share where other names have been proposed.

Kris, I think it was buried in another thread. I went looking for it last night but no luck. Besides which the Senior Gators have come up with many more suggests than we did the last time we played the game.

Everyone agrees on Viking Saga. I like Season (it kinda fits the established theme). Strong is already taken -- Boston Strong. Spring and Summer work and if I can only choose one, then I'll take Summer. Sojourn also works for me, even if there is a Seabourn ship of the same name.

Kris, I think it was buried in another thread. I went looking for it last night but no luck. Besides which the Senior Gators have come up with many more suggests than we did the last time we played the game.

Everyone agrees on Viking Saga. I like Season (it kinda fits the established theme). Strong is already taken -- Boston Strong. Spring and Summer work and if I can only choose one, then I'll take Summer. Sojourn also works for me, even if there is a Seabourn ship of the same name.

Peregrina, as always your input is appreciated and encyclopedic. Viking would be missing out on a great one if they don't name one of the new ships "Viking Saga". Another one we like is "Viking Soujourn." We've come up with a few more to add to the list:

- Viking Sonnet

- Viking Serenity

- Viking Solace

- Viking Symphony

- Viking Serendipity

Peregrina, as always your input is appreciated and encyclopedic. Viking would be missing out on a great one if they don't name one of the new ships "Viking Saga". Another one we like is "Viking Soujourn." We've come up with a few more to add to the list:

- Viking Sonnet

- Viking Serenity

- Viking Solace

- Viking Symphony

- Viking Serendipity

Good grief, you guys have been busy!!!! I so, so agree with you about the name Saga and I hope that maybe they are saving it for number 10. Saga, because it is a word that comes to English from Old Norse. It is such an obvious choice.

The hard part of this game is trying to keep within the themes already in play--celestial/meteorologic, 1 or 2 syllables, beginning with S, Norse/Viking--as we try to second guess what names they will actually choose. Considering that everyone says that one of the ships has to be Saga, that means there are 3 ships yet to be named.

• 8 months later...

Well, since this thread began we’ve learned that Viking is moving away from S-names for their ocean ships. The first 4 ships were given names to honor the original Royal Viking Line fleet:

Viking Star

Viking Sky

Viking Sea

Viking Sun

However, the fifth ship that was originally to be named Viking Spirit was changed to Viking Orion, and the sixth ship will be Viking Jupiter. It seems the line is now using celestial objects (or Greek/Roman mythology) for the ships’ names. With a total of 16 nearly identical ships ordered by 2027, there are a lot of names to choose. Any more guesses?

Under construction:

#5 Viking Orion

#6 Viking Jupiter

A few possibilities for later ships:

#7 Viking Pegasus

#8 Viking Saturn

#9 Viking Mercury

#10 Viking Venus

#11 Viking Neptune

#12 Viking Hercules

#13 Viking Perseus

#14 Viking Apollo

Based on Viking decision to change their ship naming conventions, we hadn't given much thought to future Viking Ocean ships. Since this thread has been resurrected, here's a couple of more names to add to the pot.

- Viking Valkyrie

- Viking Australis (opposite of Borealis and in keeping with Viking's new emphasis on Australia, New Zealand and other Southern Hemisphere destinations )