How Is The Coffee?

Lois R

Hi folks, how do you feel about the coffee on board? I know on Mainstream lines a good cup of Joe can be very hard to find.

I enjoy a medium blend......it can be a bit strong but not overly so.......I have never been a "Starbucks Fan".....their beans

always tasted bitter/burnt to me.........(just my opinion)..

Just wondering about the overall view on the coffee on board Silversea:D.......I have 45 days to go.:D

And as for "Adult Coffees".......those are all available too, right?..........

Lois, I'm not a coffee connoisseur and l always take decaf....but have no complaints about what is offered on SS....

Not sure what Joe is but am guessing it's the NY company?

Adult coffees are very much available..in fact all you need to do is request your preference and they will for sure come up with the goods!

S ☺️

Lois, I'm not a coffee connoisseur and l always take decaf....but have no complaints about what is offered on SS....

Not sure what Joe is but am guessing it's the NY company?

Adult coffees are very much available..in fact all you need to do is request your preference and they will for sure come up with the goods!

S ☺️

Hi Sophia,:) ahhh...Joe is just a nickname for a cup of Java.......(or a cup of coffee;))........it is not the name of a coffee

company......thanks for the reply:)

Sophia, here is the actual meaning of "A CUP OF JOE"....it goes back to the Navy......here is a link with a good explanation.

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-is-coffee-called-a-cup-of-joe

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

Starbucks use a blend of coffee that is higher on robusta than the more expensive arabica beans. They also use a higher roast because most of their coffees are esspresso based. Robusta is the bean that adds astringency and strength and if over roasted adds that awful bitterness, and arabica gives mellowness and depth of character. Robusta also produces the crema top on esspresso if freshly roasted. No crema implies stale beans. The Italians enjoy blends with more robusta.

If you ever have a choice of coffees on offer, and you want a coffee with depth and flavour without bitterness ask if they have any medium roast 100% arabica and you will be good to go.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the explanation:)........I don't even normally get coffee at "coffee shops"......but I do enjoy a cup every

morning here at home. I use KUREIG.....you know the coffee machines with the K cups. And I enjoy a cup when having

dessert if I am going out to dinner.

Hi Sophia,:) ahhh...Joe is just a nickname for a cup of Java.......(or a cup of coffee;))........it is not the name of a coffee

company......thanks for the reply:)

Sophia, here is the actual meaning of "A CUP OF JOE"....it goes back to the Navy......here is a link with a good explanation.

http://wonderopolis.org/wonder/why-is-coffee-called-a-cup-of-joe

Thanks Lois....☺️

I am very particular about my coffee and have a special grinder and use an Italian espresso lever machine to make my coffee at home. The only way I can come up with a reasonably acceptable cup on the ship is to ask for a double shot skinny cappucino in a large mug. Having said that, the coffee is much better (to my taste) than is was say 5 years ago.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the explanation:)........I don't even normally get coffee at "coffee shops"......but I do enjoy a cup every

morning here at home. I use KUREIG.....you know the coffee machines with the K cups. And I enjoy a cup when having

dessert if I am going out to dinner.

Lois we love our Kureig. We order breakfast blend and Kenyan coffee which are Free Trade from Green Mountain.

It's very hard to find good coffee on cruise lines. Starbucks is too bitter for us. We drink coffee black.

We( I especially ) drink a lot of coffee and I like a nice strong cup ( drink it black ). Can't stand Starbucks; bitter as can be! Silversea coffee has never disappointed. It has always been fresh brewed and delivered hot to our stateroom in the morning. We use 100% Columbian at home if that gives you an idea of what we like.:D

We like our coffee and we are constantly challenged ordering coffee when travelling.

In our opinion ,the Illy coffee is quite ok but not "special"

There was little used machine in the observation lounge on the shadow where we could make our own to our taste.

This subject interests me. I love good, strong coffee (in fact, I have a home espresso machine and start each day with a shot of espresso added to a cup of black Gevalia coffee). But on my three Silversea cruises (one on the Cloud, two on the Spirit, all between 2014 and 2016), I was disappointed with the coffee at breakfast in both the MDR and La Terrazza. Yes, I know they use illy coffee but they didn't use enough of it. It was always weak and watery.

What I wound up doing every morning was to go up to the Panorama Lounge (or maybe it's called the Observation Lounge---the one at the front of the ship), just before La Terrazza opened, and order a quadruple espresso (i.e., four shots) to go. I would bring it down to La Terrazza where I would mix it in with the weak coffee. I would sometimes, if necessary, order another espresso or two from the La Terrazza waiters. The result was pretty good, even though I would have preferred just getting good strong coffee without having to go through all the extra steps.

By the way, I never have coffee or espresso after breakfast, so you caffeine-phobes needn't fear for my health! I'm 70 and have never spent a night in a hospital, something I attribute to coffee at 7:00AM and gin martinis at 7:00PM, every day of my life.

Yeah, the coffee on the ship is excellent if you order an espresso-based drink. Those Illy pod-machines turn out excellent espresso. But the stuff they bring around in a pitcher while you're dining is no better than diner coffee. But they are *always* happy to bring you a latte or a cappuccino.

While we are not coffee fanatics, we do enjoy a morning cup and I, occasionally will have some at dessert in the evening. We think Silversea (Spirit is the only ship we've been on) has particularly good coffee. It tastes the same all over the ship, from room service in the am, to that last cup at dinner. We actually commented that their coffee was the best cruise ship coffee that we'd had. It was nice to count on it tasting the same, no matter what day, or what venue.

We order a double or triple espresso and pour it in to the regular coffee.

Or order an americano with triple shots.

It's also nice to have the espresso machine in the suite...unfortunately we can't always book a silver suite to have that perk.

Interesting reading:)...I am not an Espresso drinker. I will just have to taste the coffee myself;)

Do try a Cafe Americano.

It is expresso with hot water added served in a regular sized cup.

I order this all the time when in Europe or at a ship cafe that has a expresso machine... think cafe Bacio on Celebrity.

Does this mean that, at breakfast, an individual cafetière of strong coffee is out of the question? :-(

No cafetieres, my friend, at least not if a cafeteire is what we call a french press in the US. If you want strong coffee order espresso, double espresso, macchiato, americano, etc.

They can bring a pitcher of coffee that comes out of the big urn, which is of consistent, but not STRONG, coffee. Anything stronger -> espresso.