Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default need local expert help...Fll, Mia

A little complicated, but please bare with me. Fly into MCO and have car for a week to spend time in Central FL. Driving to Fort Lauderdale,and will return car there. Where should we return it to? Port? FLL? Hotel? After our first cruise, we return to port in Fort lauderdale and later that same day, sail again from Miami port on a second cruise. How should we transfer from Port in Fll to Port in Miami? When we return from the second cruise back to Miami, I presume it is easy to get to FLL airport for the flight home. Best to get cab or ship transfer or what? Thank you SO much for your knowledge. Marg

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin View Post
A little complicated, but please bare with me. Fly into MCO and have car for a week to spend time in Central FL. Driving to Fort Lauderdale,and will return car there. Where should we return it to? Port? FLL? Hotel? After our first cruise, we return to port in Fort lauderdale and later that same day, sail again from Miami port on a second cruise. How should we transfer from Port in Fll to Port in Miami? When we return from the second cruise back to Miami, I presume it is easy to get to FLL airport for the flight home. Best to get cab or ship transfer or what? Thank you SO much for your knowledge. Marg
Drive to FLL rental agency near the port, drop off car, take rental car shuttle back to port.

Get off ship, take shuttle back to rental car place, rent car, drive to Miami. Drop car off at rental car place, cab to port.

I think you can do all these rentals for around $25 per day on hotwire.

Old June 19th, 2013, 10:43 PM
10,000+ Club

A little reading will answer your questions. No local experts needed. Just some reading.

You can't return the car to the port. Either the airport- most common- or possibly a couple of off airport sites. Free shuttle, or possibly a $15 cab to the port.

There are many shuttles mentioned on the board here for getting you from Port Everglades to POM. SAS, QLS are commonly mentioned.

Getting back from POM to FLL is the same, except a cab is your most expensive, at about $85, before tip.

Last edited by CruiserBruce; June 19th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Old June 19th, 2013, 11:40 PM
10,000+ Club

The closest drop off points for the rental cars will be the locations near the port (lowest cab fare if there is no shuttle, but you are only going to save about $5 over the airport location)....look at SE 17th St, S. Federal Hwy, Miami Rd. locations.

I would try to book SAS shuttle from PE to POM and from POM to FLL.

Sometimes the cruiseline transfers from POM to FLL are a good deal too.

I would not rent a car to go between the ports...too inconvenient/indirect...unless you want to go out and see things for a few hours of fun in between. If you can get a shuttle, that would be more convenient/direct.

Make sure that you allow plenty of time to get to FLL...book a flight that leaves at 1 PM or later.
coming up....X Silhouette 12/14 Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14, RCCL Vision 4/14, X Reflection 06/14

Old June 20th, 2013, 02:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Which cruise lines are you sailing.
If you are sailing on Celebrity/Rccl they
class it as a back to back cruise and arrange
Transport for you from PE to Miami.
Talk to your TA I don't know if other cruise lines
Do the same.

Old June 20th, 2013, 07:34 PM
5,000+ Club

We are flying into Orlando. Renting a car. Stayin one night. Going next day to Miami, staying for 2 days, returning the car and getting a cab to the port.