1st Timer - HELP PLEASE

caselaw3

Hi all - I am new to the world of crusing and just trying to figure out some basics...If anyone could either help me by answering a few questions or pointing me to which forum, sticky, thread, post, might already have the answers, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA

1. I am going to be planning to cruise with my family me, dh, ds 6, and dd 7

are there some cruiselines that are more family friendly than others? I looked at Disney but that seems to be more expensive than the others, is that really true?

2. I am trying to figure out how meals work - some of the things i am reading make it seem like meals are included but then others show all these restaurants and it looks like there is either a charge to eat there or the menus are ala carte....how do i find this out?

3. Interior cabins - how small are they really? I don't imagine we would spend much time in our room but I don't want to be miserably cramped while I am in there, lol...

4. I would really like to cruise to Bermuda and we would like to leave from either Boston or New York so that we do not have to pay for flights as well as the cruise - is there a way that I can figure out which cruise lines do this?

Thanks again!

Go to the Carnival web site. They are family friendly and priced right. Plus they have some of the biggest cabins.

Meals are part of the cruise price, unless you want to eat in the steak house.

You can find what you are looking for and then call Carnival and they will help you with the booking, or you can book yourself.(would not recommend for a first timer)

Read all you can and don't let it scare you. There are many different things you will learn, it will be an adventure.

Good Luck and welcome to the world of cruising...:cool:

Hi all - I am new to the world of crusing and just trying to figure out some basics...If anyone could either help me by answering a few questions or pointing me to which forum, sticky, thread, post, might already have the answers, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA

are there some cruiselines that are more family friendly than others? I looked at Disney but that seems to be more expensive than the others, is that really true? yes. of all the mainstream lines Disney is the most expensive. ALL mainstream lines have sold kids club programming.

2. I am trying to figure out how meals work - some of the things i am reading make it seem like meals are included but then others show all these restaurants and it looks like there is either a charge to eat there or the menus are ala carte....how do i find this out? any restaurant that has a fee will clearly mark it. as will any items that incur a surcharge in the main restaurant

3. Interior cabins - how small are they really? I don't imagine we would spend much time in our room but I don't want to be miserably cramped while I am in there, lol... I personally refuse to do inside cabins. I need the fresh air of a balcony at minimum and I would never do 4 in one unless it was a the family cabin( most lines have a version of this)

4. I would really like to cruise to Bermuda and we would like to leave from either Boston or New York so that we do not have to pay for flights as well as the cruise - is there a way that I can figure out which cruise lines do this? you use a search engine to find cruises departing from the ports you want..

Thanks again!

if you really are totally clueless get a travel agent

go to the carnival web site. They are family friendly and priced right. Plus they have some of the biggest cabins.

Meals are part of the cruise price, unless you want to eat in the steak house.

You can find what you are looking for and then call carnival and they will help you with the booking, or you can book yourself.(would not recommend for a first timer)

read all you can and don't let it scare you. There are many different things you will learn, it will be an adventure.

Good luck and welcome to the world of cruising...:cool:

thanks!

I think NCL is the only line that goes to Bermuda from both Boston & NY on a weekly basis. The others seem to go more sporadically, with Royal Caribbean being the next most frequent.

I've never sailed with kids, but I've sailed both lines and enjoy them both. From what I've heard, they are equally family friendly, though RCL might have more family activities outside of the kid's club, depending on the ship (climbing walls, skating rink, etc.) You can research all the ship info on either of their websites.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Yes, Disney is expensive. Carnival, NCL and RCI are the most children friendly of the lines.

If you either visit a local TA that specializes or go to the website of a major TA, they can help you find the choices from NY & Boston.

Welcome to Cruising!!!

your questions have pretty much been answered....

I would just add to Google cruising deals, discount cruises etc and sites will come up to help in your search...most will allow you to search by cruise line, port to visit, port to leave from etc....

you can also use Cruise Critics search feature top right of menu to search key words...

All of the mainstream lines have kid's clubs....Disney is NOT your only option!!

You really should go to a travel agency....I'm sure your town has one...where you can get actual brochures and info! Yes...interior cabins tend to be the smallest....but Carnival's standard cabins are larger than most. In the brochures will be deck plans, with sq. footage listed!

So, find you a travel agency, and go talk to them!!!

are there some cruiselines that are more family friendly than others? I looked at Disney but that seems to be more expensive than the others, is that really true?

2. I am trying to figure out how meals work - some of the things i am reading make it seem like meals are included but then others show all these restaurants and it looks like there is either a charge to eat there or the menus are ala carte....how do i find this out?

3. Interior cabins - how small are they really? I don't imagine we would spend much time in our room but I don't want to be miserably cramped while I am in there, lol...

4. I would really like to cruise to Bermuda and we would like to leave from either Boston or New York so that we do not have to pay for flights as well as the cruise - is there a way that I can figure out which cruise lines do this?

Thanks again!

1. As mentioned, Disney is most expensive of the mainstream family-oriented cruise lines. Is it worth it? That depends on how much you enjoy the Disney brand and what you can afford. There are plenty of more affordable options.

2. All lines provide dining options that are free and ones that cost extra. For your first cruise, I would try to leverage the free ones for most of your meals, and try one specialty restaurant for you and your spouse.

3. I would look at an Ocean View, as they are usually bigger than a balcony (if money is tight), or a mini/jr. suite if it's within your budget. There are family suites on many ships, but these can be pricy.

4. Bermuda is an excellent choice for a first cruise - that's exactly where we went last year with our son (who was almost 4). In terms of options, you have several. From Boston, NCL Dawn and HAL (forget which ship) will be sailing to Bermuda. I think NCL would offer the most to do for your kids. From NY/NJ, you have three options - NCL Breakaway, Celebrity Summit, and RCI Liberty. Breakaway and Liberty will offer the most for your kids, but Liberty prices are insane and she only does 5 day itineraries, so I would lean towards Breakaway.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

I personally like Carnival its the right price and everyone is just there to have fun. I don't have kids but it always sounds like kids like camp carnival which I believe is for that age group. Also watch out for hurricane season or bad weather in general I try to research local weather when booking just because as a first cruise you don't want the boat to rock to much or miss ports because of weather these things can happen but I think its a shame when that's a first experience and they say im never going again

All large discount cruise only agencies have search engines that can show you itins,timing, pricing, etc. Looks like 40 or more in 2015. I would stay away from Disney. HAL is for the over 70 crowd.All cabins are small.Balconies even smaller. I would search for Bermuda weather patterns; they do get rough weather at times.Bermuda is a very conservative British island. Different than Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas sails 5-day trips to Bermuda from Bayonne, New Jersey. Celebrity Summit also does Bermuda from Bayonne.

The Celebrity Summit doesn't offer as much as Liberty but, still a good option and great cruise line.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Edited by cruiserking

Bermuda-- is an expensive cruising option. Ships only go there a select few times a year.

Unlike a bahama where they cruise all the time.

You are limiting yourself to two ports because they are close to home..

what about Bayonne or Baltimore? which gives you more options.

an inside cabin for 4 people will have two beds on the floor and two upper beds. you get more floor space by keeping the beds on the floor seperated--against the wall UNDER the upper beds.

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/dpwright92/media/SDC14112.jpg.html

keeping the beds together you used up your floor space-- you get one foot on either side of the bed.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID21188/images/room_1181c.JPG

notice the space on the floor keeping them seperated.

I suggest an oceanview or a balcony cabin on a newer ship-- with these you get a convertible sofa and an upper bed.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/cabinpics/43/org/43399.jpg

(we did 5 to an inside cabin for our first cruise)

I agree with the others-- look at a carnival cruise.

Disney is a premium line and you will pay premium prices. I can do 3 carnival cruises for a price of ONE disney cruise.

Thanks again!

go to any online agency like expedia, etc click on cruises

where it says destination-- click on bermuda- do not click on dates.

then click on show all

I am not a fan of NCL so I would look into Granduer of the Seas

August 14th being the cheapest option. (but a bit more expensive then going to the caribbean

Thanks again!

1) The family friendly cruise lines are Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney and NCL.

2) All the cruise lines have meals included. However, if you are interested in an "upgraded" meal, you can, if you wish (it is optional) go to one of the alternative restaurants that charges extra. I've done it many times. However, as the costs of doing so has gone up, I have gone less times. On my most recent cruise, I enjoyed the free steak more than the one I paid extra for (though the extra cost steak was of a better quality).

3) In some cruise line the interior cabins are smaller than the other cabins. On other cruise lines they are the same size. You should be able to find the size of the cabin on the cruise line's website.

4) Narrow done your choices to a few cruise lines and then check their cruise schedules.

If you are really overwhelmed, then I recommend dealing with a travel agent. However, like anything else, there are good and not so good travel agents. Don't just pick one. Interview a few and pick one that you feel comfortable with.

Look at the brochures. What do the pictures show? Do they show young families or just a bunch of retired people. Even in a Disney brochure not every picture will show a young family. However, if the brochure doesn't show any young families, then you are not their target audience.

You want a travel agent (TA) that is interested in what you want. Ask why the TA is making the recommendations that (s)he is making. Come back here and check the answers. Some TAs earn more commission from certain cruise lines and thus will want to point you in that direction.

Ask about the cancellation policy. Some TAs charge a cancellation penalty.

Ask what professional organizations they belong to (such as CLIA or NACTA ...). Ask about their own cruise experience.

The TA does not cost you any extra. Run (don't walk) away from any TA that charges you a booking fee. Be wary of incentives. Is the TA going to be able to offer you the same service as another TA that doesn't offer incentives? My agent does not offer incentives, but does offer great service. That great service is worth a lot more than a bottle of wine or a soda package for the kids.

Make sure TA runs your credit card through the cruise line's account and not the TAs account. Make sure you have a valid booking number from the cruise line. Failure to get this is a big red flag.

Thanks again!

This short video will explain the advantages and disadvantages of putting your entire family into one cabin ...

Just wanted to put in my two cents with regards to interior cabins. We've been on two cruises and have our third booked. All with carnival. We are a family of 4: me, DH and two kids under 10. We booked an interior on our first cruise and got a great deal on an upsell call for a grand suite. Amazing!!! That being said, we booked our second cruise in an interior. It was a longer cruise (cost was an issue) and we knew we did not use the room much outside of sleeping in our first cruise. We had a great time. We had a couple of testy moments but nothing major. When we were all in the room together, the kids spent most of the time on the upper pullmans. We decided to do an interior again on the upcoming cruise. I'm all about doing these kinds of vacation on an affordable budget and I would prefer to spend my money on other things than a more expensive room. Now for reference, we live in an 880 Sq ft house, so we are used to being in tight quarters together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

You're paying for the Disney image. As others have said, all of the mass market lines have a kids' program. If you go during the normal school break times (June through August, last couple weeks of December, and spring break -- which falls at different times depending on school districts -- in Los Angeles, it's always the week leading up to Easter), there will be an active program with lots of activities, while if you go when there's fewer kids out of school, not as much.

Many programs have post-10pm kidsitting (usually for a small fee) and some even have port-day kidsitting. Carnival and Princess have kids' dinners where you can drop off your kid in the buffet dining room and then you can have an "adult dinner." After they eat, they go with the kids' staff to the kids' area for evening activities.

There's no charge for the kids' program except there may be for some select activities. You just need to take your kids to the orientation meeting the first night to register and they'll meet the other kids.

The only time we've eaten in a specialty restaurant was when we got one complimentary.

If you narrow down which cruise lines, look at their websites, especially the FAQs. There should be info on any specialty restaurants and what cover charges they have. Any other dining venues shouldn't have a charge, and would be included in your fare. Princess actually has a great guide on its website with what the various main dining rooms (that's the included sit down dining rooms), buffet rooms, specialty restaurants and any other places to get food on each ship.

One thing to know is that most lines now have two dining options that you chose from when booking your cruise: traditional assigned seating (you get a specified table with the same waitstaff at the same time -- usually there's an early/first and late/second seating) and flexible dining (the lines have different names for this) where you show up at the dining room that you want to eat with during the dinner hours. Personally my hubby and I preferred late traditional. I think the only line that doesn't have traditional is NCL.

Even if you get traditional, you can still eat at a specialty restaurant if you wish. (about the only place you're not supposed to go are the MDRs reserved for the flexible dining).

We always book an inside or oceanview for the three of us. Some people will insist they must have a balcony, but it's up to you and what's available. The cabins that are available for more than two will have the extra beds -- usually the extra ones will come down from the ceiling or the wall which the cabin steward will take care of for you. Some kids love these.

Thanks again!

You can talk with a travel agent (as many are suggesting) who's a cruise specialist. Talk amongst your friends, family, co-workers who have taken a cruise and see if someone can suggest a brick-and-mortar agency as opposed to one of those online ones (usually with those the "booking agents" may have never been on a cruise, must less seen an ocean). For your first cruise, go with someone who has been on many cruises and can answer your questions.

1) The family friendly cruise lines are Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Disney and NCL.

2) All the cruise lines have meals included. However, if you are interested in an "upgraded" meal, you can, if you wish (it is optional) go to one of the alternative restaurants that charges extra. I've done it many times. However, as the costs of doing so has gone up, I have gone less times. On my most recent cruise, I enjoyed the free steak more than the one I paid extra for (though the extra cost steak was of a better quality).

3) In some cruise line the interior cabins are smaller than the other cabins. On other cruise lines they are the same size. You should be able to find the size of the cabin on the cruise line's website.

4) Narrow done your choices to a few cruise lines and then check their cruise schedules.

If you are really overwhelmed, then I recommend dealing with a travel agent. However, like anything else, there are good and not so good travel agents. Don't just pick one. Interview a few and pick one that you feel comfortable with.

Look at the brochures. What do the pictures show? Do they show young families or just a bunch of retired people. Even in a Disney brochure not every picture will show a young family. However, if the brochure doesn't show any young families, then you are not their target audience.

You want a travel agent (TA) that is interested in what you want. Ask why the TA is making the recommendations that (s)he is making. Come back here and check the answers. Some TAs earn more commission from certain cruise lines and thus will want to point you in that direction.

Ask about the cancellation policy. Some TAs charge a cancellation penalty.

Ask what professional organizations they belong to (such as CLIA or NACTA ...). Ask about their own cruise experience.

The TA does not cost you any extra. Run (don't walk) away from any TA that charges you a booking fee. Be wary of incentives. Is the TA going to be able to offer you the same service as another TA that doesn't offer incentives? My agent does not offer incentives, but does offer great service. That great service is worth a lot more than a bottle of wine or a soda package for the kids.

Make sure TA runs your credit card through the cruise line's account and not the TAs account. Make sure you have a valid booking number from the cruise line. Failure to get this is a big red flag.

Cuizer2 who has been on many cruises has given you some great advice that I underlined.