Sample Letter if Traveling With Minor Child Without Other Parent?

My DD (15) and I are taking a mother-daughter cruise in August. We'll be on the Splendor to the Mexican Riviera. I just read the following on another thread and didn't want to sidetrack it. :) I visited Carnival's site and found the same information in their FAQs.

All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.
Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

My question is: anyone have a sample letter you've used? I want to make sure the letter from DH has all the information we need--we would hate to be unable to get off the ship in one of our ports of call! Or, is it just a simple "<<name>> has my permission to travel with our minor child <<name>>?"

Thank you for your help!!

Hi there!

I used the one from the Seauonboard website - http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

It's a pretty basic, fill in the blank kind of form, but it works. I filled out the info and then met my son's dad at a notary where he signed it.

I don't recall anyone ever asking for it at any time on the cruise, but it's better to have it than not.

Hope this helps.

~Pam

Hi there!

I used the one from the Seauonboard website - http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

It's a pretty basic, fill in the blank kind of form, but it works. I filled out the info and then met my son's dad at a notary where he signed it.

I don't recall anyone ever asking for it at any time on the cruise, but it's better to have it than not.

Hope this helps.

~Pam

Pam, thank you so much!

Like you, I think it's better to have it and not use than the alternative. It's just one piece of paper and a lot of peace of mind. :)

Thank you!

I doubt they are too concerned about a 15 y.o. being abducted. The kid is old enough to speak for themself. It's the little kids that are most at risk in that regard.

Plus, the language said the papers only applied if debarking in Mexico... so worst case you could just have the kid stay onboard while in port.

That sample letter is almost exactly like the one I wrote to take my son on our

first cruise. His mom got it notorized, I put it in the bag with the important travel

papers. I guess it is still in there, we never had to pull it out or show it to anyone.

His having the same last name as me and my wife might have made a

difference..I don't know, but it was definitely one of those better safe

than sorry situations.

Now that I think of it, I guess I am going to have to do it again for our cuise in July.

[i just mentioned this to my wife, she said, oh, we won't need it...we[/b]

all have the same last name, they didn't ask for it last time. (blah blah blah)

I said "do you want to get there and there be a problem not be able to get on the boat??... I don't! " ]

Me and his mom will be going to a notary when I pick him up next Monday;)

That sample letter is almost exactly like the one I wrote to take my son on our

first cruise. His mom got it notorized, I put it in the bag with the important travel

papers. I guess it is still in there, we never had to pull it out or show it to anyone.

His having the same last name as me and my wife might have made a

difference..I don't know, but it was definitely one of those better safe

than sorry situations.

Now that I think of it, I guess I am going to have to do it again for our cuise in July.

[i just mentioned this to my wife, she said, oh, we won't need it...we[/b]

all have the same last name, they didn't ask for it last time. (blah blah blah)

I said "do you want to get there and there be a problem not be able to get on the boat??... I don't! " ]

Me and his mom will be going to a notary when I pick him up next Monday;)

I couldn't agree with you more--it's really not that big of a thing to get it, and why add to the stress by not getting it? We have the same last name, but even so, as you said...better safe than sorry.

I'm just glad I saw the information on another thread. This isn't the first mother-daughter vacation we've taken, but it's the first out of the U.S. It didn't even cross my mind since her father and I are married (coming up on 17 years :p) and don't have to deal with this kind of situation. And, my PVP didn't say anything about it--not that I expect THAT kind of service from Carnival. :rolleyes:

Archived