Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > What Ever Happened To........???

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

What Ever Happened To........??? A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Chandris S.S. Brittanis???

Does anyone know what became of Chandris's Brittanis? It was my first long cruise that I ever went on and is largely responsible for the addiction to cruising that I developed at a very young age!!! When we were on her, Celebrity had just taken over (or merged?) with Chandris. There was the trademarked "X" on the smokestack just like the Celebrity ships now wear. I think she had a twin sister too....ring any bells??

Old March 22nd, 2005, 06:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Chandris SS Brittanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaFee
Does anyone know what became of Chandris's Brittanis? It was my first long cruise that I ever went on and is largely responsible for the addiction to cruising that I developed at a very young age!!! When we were on her, Celebrity had just taken over (or merged?) with Chandris. There was the trademarked "X" on the smokestack just like the Celebrity ships now wear. I think she had a twin sister too....ring any bells??
Oh my God, how funny! I was just going through the different threads and saw this! Several years ago we took that boat out of one of the eastern Florida ports for their weekend cruise...that was MY first and last cruise experience...not because I did not like it but with kids, parents, business and life in general, we never got back on a boat again. My husband is not a cruiser at all but we are going on a cruise coming up in a few weeks (only because it's my parents 50th wedding anniversary) How well we remember the black smoke coming out of the smokestacks! I am sorry but I do not know if there was a sister ship but thought I would reminisce a bit! Hope you get your answer!

Old March 22nd, 2005, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

BRITANIS sank off the coast of South Africa in October of 2000. She was under tow on her way to be scrapped in India.
Norway...1983, Sovereign Of The Seas...1993, Zenith...1994, Sovereign Of The Seas...1998, Explorer Of The Seas...2002, Norwegian Dawn...2003, Celebrity Infinity...2004, Celebrity Constellation...2005, Zuiderdam...2006, Celebrity Solstice...2008, Norwegian Star...2009, Sapphire Princess...Apr 2011, Grand Princess...Feb 2012, Norwegian Dawn...Oct 2012, Oasis Of The Seas...Feb 2014, Grand Princess...Aug 2014, Allure Of The Seas...Jan 2015

Last edited by DCT61; March 22nd, 2005 at 10:02 AM.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT61
BRITANIS sank off the coast of South Africa in October of 2000.
Really? I just figured it was in some boat yard somewhere rotting away by now! ha ha ha What were the circumstances behind Britanis sinking? What was it doing near South Africa? Sorry if I am asking so many questions, now I am intrigued! How did you come about this information?

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

http://members.aol.com/britanis/Britanis.htmlI saw her at anchor off Cozumel in the early 90's. Beautiful ship. Sad to see all these historic liners disappearing.
Norway...1983, Sovereign Of The Seas...1993, Zenith...1994, Sovereign Of The Seas...1998, Explorer Of The Seas...2002, Norwegian Dawn...2003, Celebrity Infinity...2004, Celebrity Constellation...2005, Zuiderdam...2006, Celebrity Solstice...2008, Norwegian Star...2009, Sapphire Princess...Apr 2011, Grand Princess...Feb 2012, Norwegian Dawn...Oct 2012, Oasis Of The Seas...Feb 2014, Grand Princess...Aug 2014, Allure Of The Seas...Jan 2015

Last edited by DCT61; March 22nd, 2005 at 10:45 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT61
http://members.aol.com/britanis/Britanis.htmlI saw her at anchor off Cozumel in the early 90's. Beautiful ship. Sad to see all these historic liners disappearing.
Thank you so much for this site and the history behind the Britanis. Actually sad to hear she is at the bottom of the ocean. But I guess if the fish are using it and it is becoming a reef, then that is probably a good thing. To think we were on a ship with all that history! And yes, it is sad to see these historic ships disappearing...

Old March 22nd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

For a full history of BRITANIS, and a photo tour of her as she was just before she was broken up, see here.

As you can see from that article, she actually had two sisters, one of which made it to Chandris as ELLINIS. BRITANIS was by far the last surviving of the three sisters.

Also, on the relationship between Chandris and Celebrity. There was no merger or takeover involved - Celebrity was a new brand created by Chandris in 1989 as they wanted to move into a more upscale market. The existing Chandris brand became Fantasy Cruises (initially the brands were Chandris Fantasy Cruises and Chandris Celebrity Cruises, but "Chandris" was soon dropped) and was slowly phased out. The last Fantasy ship to be retired was AMERIKANIS in 1997. In 1992, Chandris sold half of Celebrity Cruises (including Fantasy Cruises) to Overseas Shipholding Group (a large owner of bulk carriers). Celebrity operated as a joint venture between Chandris and OSG until 1997 when it was sold to Royal Caribbean. As part of the deal both Chandris and OSG received large amounts of RCI stock. OSG sold theirs but Chandris is still a major RCI shareholder and John Chandris is a member of the RCI board.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've gotta tell you guys...I didn't think I'd even get a response. When I logged on and read everything I was jumping up and down screaming to my boyfriend to look at all the pictures saying "I went on that ship! I went on that ship!!" At first he said "why on earth were you on THAT....it's OLD!" but as I showed him the history (thank you guys so much) he thought it was pretty cool. I instantly remembered feeling history when I was on her which is something that people nowadays aren't able to experiece on megaships. To everyone that contributed a fact, thought, memory or picture: THANK YOU!

Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

KillaFee: For me, this is one of the most interesting forums on the CC web site. I come here every couple of days. It's always interesting and I always learn something.

I live in Tennessee, took my first cruist when I was still a teenager and since then have been fascinated by passenger ships.

This forum is a great resource. I'm glad you found it. DFD

Old March 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
5,000+ Club

In the process this past fall of cleaning out my in-laws' house, we found two books by Alan L. Cary on early 20th century liners , containing descriptions and pictures of Lurline, Mariposa and Monterey among others. What beautiful ships!

Kathy

Carnival Victory, 6/28/04; Carnival Conquest, 7/3/05; Carnival Legend, 6/29/06; Carnival Victory, 8/31/06; Carnival Liberty, 2/17/07; Carnival Victory, 8/11/07; Carnival Valor, 2/17/08; Carnival Victory, 8/18/08; Carnival Glory, 2/14/09; Carnival Miracle, 7/19/09; Carnival Conquest, 2/14/10; Carnival Pride, 7/4/10; Carnival Glory, 9/2/10; Carnival Glory, 7/2/11; Carnival Fantasy, 8/13/11; Carnival Pride, 7/1/12; Carnival Glory, 8/6/12; Carnival Legend, 7/3/13; Carnival Miracle, 7/15/14; Carnival Glory, 8/2/14; Carnival Breeze, 7/4/15.

Old March 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

The history of the Britanis is fascinating, especially when it was a glamorous vessel on the Hawaii run, with lots of movie stars onboard, and then during the WWII years. She was the first ship I sailed on, as the photographer for STARLOG magazine, covering a floating STAR TREK convention with actors from the various shows. The ship had been chartered for the week, so it was an...interesting...group. We went to Jamaica, Grand Cayman Island, and circled around Cuba back to Miami. On the way back, we picked up a raft full of Cuban refugees, and tried to give them some of our extra Starfleet passports to present to immigration in Miami (it seemed like a good idea at the time--rum will do that to you). I believe the next year she was sold to the government and used as a floating barracks at Guantanamo Bay for a couple of years. The funniest part of the cruise was the Captain's formal dinner, the one where you get photographed shaking hands with him. The look on his face as he had to do his "grip and grin" with Vulcans, Klingons, women painted blue, and lots of people in Starfleet uniforms was priceless. The ship's officers seemed puzzled by the whole thing; I'm not sure they had ever seen the show or movies. The crew, on the other hand, were over the moon at rubbing shoulders with Jimmy Doohan, George Takei, etc.

1952: P&O Florida: Miami-Havana

SeaTrek 93: Miami, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Grand Cayman

Trans-Atlantic: Lisbon, Cadiz, Casablanca, Funchal, Ft. Lauderdale

Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default 2ladies

We have just come off the Infinity and my mother was talking about how gorgeous the Mariposa was!! Coincidence, as I had not heard anyone mention this ship for years. According to her, the cabins were all done out in white leather!!

Those were the days my friends .............

Anyone on this thread know where Nickos Batistatos is? Was on the Constellation and my e-mails are being returned by RCCL

Old March 29th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

My first cruise was on the Britanis, also! It was either '89 or '90. I'd have to look at the dates on the backs of the pictures to be sure. I will never forget out waiter, Cesar. We've never had a waiter as attentive since. We had an inside stateroom. It was huge with one and a half bathrooms and two closets, one a walk in with built in drawers. The beds were built into opposite walls and there was an enormous upolstered ottoman in between and a sit down dressing table. It was easy to see how elegant she had been in her prime. I think the movie theater might have been below water level. It was very spooky going down and down and down the stairs to get there and you could hear the ship creaking. So happy to run into some former Britanis passengers.

Old March 31st, 2006, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

A group of 8 of us cruised on the Britanis in late Oct., 1993. I hadn't been on a ship in over 12 years. I don't remember a lot of details about the ship except that on one deck in the aft section of the ship they had wicker furniture set up and I never saw other people there. However, there was a large glass "hatch" which you could see into the bowels of the ship. That really amazed me. We went to Key West (bad weather, could not get in), Playa del Carmen (prior to being built up), and I believe Montego Bay. When we returned, the Captain got us into Key West so we didn't miss that port. As with every cruise that I've been on, I had more positive memories, far outweighing any negative memories. My wife and I love to cruise. We have been doing about 2 to 3 cruises per year for the past few years.
Rich M
Regal Empress 1996 to E. Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 1997 to E. Caribbean
Carnival Imagination 1998 to W. Caribbean
Carnival Pride 2002 to E. Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2002 to W. Caribbean
Carnival Pride 2003 to E. Caribbean
Carnival Jubilee 2003 to S. Caribbean
NCL Wind 2004 to W. Caribbean
Carnival Glory 2004 to W. Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon, 2005 to Bermuda
RCCL Mariner of the Seas, 2005 to E. Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 2006, W. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty - June 12, 2006 - Mediterranean
Carnival Fantasy - Oct., 2006 - Bahamas & Grand Turk
Mariner of the Seas - W. Caribbean - March, 2007
Celebrity Galaxy - June 22, 2007 - Greek Isles
Costa Mediterranea - E. Caribbean - March 29, 2008
Adventure of the Seas - S. Caribbean - April 5, 2009
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - July 10, 2009
RCCL Liberty of the Seas - E. Caribbean - March 19, 2011
Carnival Glory - Canada - June 18, 2011
Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) - E. Caribbean - March 16, 2012
Enchantment of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - June 28, 2012
Vision of the Seas - June 19, 2013 - Baltic Countries
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Oct. 26, 2013
Norwegian Star - Feb. 16, 2014 Panama Canal transit
Carnival Dream - March 15, 2014 - Western Caribbean
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - July 4, 2014 - Bermuda

Old April 2nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Great to hear about the Britanis. I was on one of the Boston to Bermuda cruises in 80's with about 20 friends and we had a great time despite the fact of the rough weather and that they ran out of some of the licquor...I remember rumors of bankruptcy when we were aboard. I also remember 2 guys in our crowd who lucked out by getting a suite like room that had been remodeled into a cabin. It was huge and therefore many of us hung out there. Good times, good times.
Also, I am happy to see that she was built in Quincy, MA where I grew up. That would make two of my cruise experiences were aboard ships built in Quincy. The other was the Independence of the American Hawaii Cruise line.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Killafee,

My very first cruise was also on the SS Brittanis back in 1986, and was also the one that got me hooked. I met some very nice people on that cruise. Some of which have become life-long friends.

Back in January,1995 we decided it would be fun to get the group together again, so decided to have a "reunion cruise", and it was to be again on the SS Brittanis:-)

One member of our group was from New York, so he booked through his local travel agent there. Two other ladies were from Chicago, so they used their local TA. I was living in Minnesota at the time, so I used the local TA I had used the year before to book.

We would all be flying into Miami the morning of our cruise, and made plans to meet on board at the pool.

We had all kept in touch over the years via email, cards & letters, and I was SO excited to see everyone again! Oh what fun we have!!

About a week before we were to depart, my guy-friend from NY called me, and said he had just gotten a call from his TA, and She told him that the SS Brittanis had been chartered by the government to transport Haittian refugees, so would no longer be in service:-( but since we were already booked, and were paid in full, we had been upgraded to one of their newer ships. We would now be going on the Celebrity ZENITH, and had each been upgraded to a balcony stateroom:-)

My first thought was that I was sad to learn the Brittanis was no longer in service, but the fact that we had been upgraded to the Celebrity Zenith was also very exciting! And having a balcony stateroom was something I had only ever dreamed of back then. So this cruise was already off to a good start:-)

And that cruise, to this date, is still one of my fondest memories, and still a part of what keeps me coming back.

Again today, I am saddened to read that the Brittanis sank off the coast of south africa a few years back:-(

There's just "something" about those old classic ships that no one seems to be able to duplicate these days. I am just thankful that I took LOTs of photos, and still have them placed securely in an album to look back at & remenise when I feel the need.

Thanks to all for the updated info.

Annie

Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Also a special thank you to DCT61 & Host Doug.

Sorry I missed you guys in my first post. I got too caught up in the articles.

Am curious though how you found those articles. Can you explain?

Thanx again.

Annie

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default cool

Hey Cool,I did Southhampton-Sydney in 1971 on this ship... also I did a round-world on what I think was the sister-ship - the SS Australis?Tony

Old April 23rd, 2006, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking memories

My husband {now deceased} our daughter and son-in-law did a three night
cruise from NY to Bermuda on the Brittanis in 1983. It was much better
than we expected and so much fun. The guys enjoyed the food.

Old April 25th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Here's the fate of one of Chandris Lines' ships, the ex-SS America/Australis:

http://www.flare.net/users/e9ee52a/F...an2006_031.jpg