First Timer Questions

britoutofwater

We're doing a transatlantic crossing New York to Southampton on the QM2 this June and I've searched around, but haven't been able to find an answer to these specific questions. I'm wondering if anyone would even have an answer off hand, but if anyone's sailing on the QM2 before next June perhaps a kind fellow traveller could scope out some answers for me?

1. We may only be going one way this Summer, so we'll likely be looking to maximise our luggage. We're driving to the cruise terminal and will be picked up at the other end so have no airline limits to deal with and large cars at both ends. I've been told there's a fair amount of space (possibly 4 large suitcases worth?) under the bed and that if we pack wisely we could put the things that we won't need to access during the voyage there, and that if we put the things we will need access to in soft luggage we could empty these into the closets etc. and fold up the bags. Of course we'd rather travel with steamer trunks, but needs must... Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Can anyone give me a clearer idea of what "4 large suitcases" actually looks like dimension wise, how high is the actual clearance under the bed? I really don't want to be tripping over suitcases all week because we've misjudged and bought a suitcase that's an inch too deep.

2. Is there a gift shop and do they sell Cunard/QM2/Ocean Liner bracelet charms? I'll be travelling with an avid charm collector and if they don't sell them on board it would be lovely if I could plan ahead and find an ocean liner charm as a surprise gift. Of course buying one on board would be even lovelier if they exist...

3. We'll be travelling with our daughter who will be just over 1. It looks like they've assigned us a room with the fold-down bunks, which are obviously not going to be practical for an infant. I know we can request a cot, are these essentially pack-and-plays? Would this work for a 14 month old (so far she's average for height and weight so I'd expect this to continue) or will she be too cramped? Am I going to end up sleeping on the top bunk?

4. I'm very excited about the nursery services offered on board for the 1 year old, but we don't want to just leave her in there all day and we were wondering what the bars are like with children. We were hoping to be able to do the pub quiz in the Golden Lion and were wondering if this has more of a UK/European family friendly pub vibe, or an American, no children allowed sort of a thing?

1. You will be able to get four large suitcases under the beds(not sure of dimensions) but as you appear to be returning by plane, I would check on the airlines website as to the limit of size of case. Also I don't think your child will have a baggage allowance on a flight unless you pay for a seat, but you can take a pushchair. You might be wise to prepay for extra luggage before you travel as it is generally less expensive that way.
  2. There are gift shops on board but no idea about charms!
  3. You can ask for a child cot, which I think you will find more suitable for your daughter. My 14 month old granddaughter was more than comfortable, if her sleep pattern was anything to go by.
  4. The nursery service for very small children is excellent. You will have to collect your child at meal times, as it closes for a couple of hours at lunch and again for supper. If the weather is kind there is a huge outdoor zone on deck 6 dedicated to children, with small bikes, castles to climb in etc, a paddling pool and larger swimming pool. Children are very welcome around the ship and there are numerous places to drink; the Winter Garden could be ideal if you have a child.

I hope this helps.

Thanks LadyL1. If we do need to make the most of our luggage space as described it will be because it's a one way move. I'm working towards graduating from my Ph.D. program this Spring and am applying for jobs in both the US and UK. If it's a UK job I get (or no job at all) we wont be coming back by air or sea so luggage allowances won't play in. If I end up with a job in the US we wont try to stretch our luggage space quite so much! Thank you for the feedback on the cots, you never know what size they are. It sounds like that would be the best option for us.

Thanks for the dimensions Ray66, that's the kind of information I needed!

Archived