Which Carnival port for my wife and I 1year anniversary

ccleveland

I'm trying to decide which port to choose with carnival. I did port canaveral September 2013 but I was wondering if there is another port in SC or Florida that's worth it.

Only reason I'm asking is because you want the port to be exciting and have things to do around the port before your cruise. Plus, you don't want to sail away and have nothing to look at. I'm wanting to do a cruise in September again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

The Carnival Fantasy does mostly 5 and some 7 days from Charleston, SC- the only SC port. The 5 days goes to Nassau & Freeport, the 7 day goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay (Carnival's fantastic own island!) and Nassau. There are some other ships that use this port. but not home ported there but the Fantasy is the only homeport ship always there.

We've never been to Tampa so can't tell you what to do there. Don't think there's much to do in Jacksonville, FL but know you can find things in Fort Lauderdale or Miami. Just go a day or two before the cruise

Thank you so much for the info. So it looks like I can try Miami that seems fun.

I looked at the SC port on YouTube and it doesn't look fun to look out at when you sail out? I loved port canaveral and the layout of everything.

Do you know if they are predicting hurricanes later this year in October or September or August?

An anniversary cruise is a great idea. If you don't see a Carnival itinerary that appeals to you, you might consider other cruise lines that sail out of Florida.

Happy anniversary. Cruising is a great way to celebrate!

If there are nice itineraries out of Tampa, why not from there?

In Tampa you have Bush Gardens, and nearby is Clearwater Beach. Also Tarpon Springs if you want to pick up some natural Sea sponges.

Lots do do around there.

Charleston, South Carolina is very nice and I would spend time before or after your cruise there as it is a charming town.

I would also post this on the Carnival Cruise Board.

Keith

I also vote for Charleston. Never took a cruise out of there, but have visited often. Great walkable city. Tons of restaurants. Really nice park right next to where the ship docks. If you have a car or get a park and cruise rate you can also stay in Mount Pleasant which is right on the other side of the river. Theres a really nice Marriott over there. Or if you feel that Charleston not your style stay in Myrtle Beach a few days before the cruise for more activities and drive down to the cruise port the day of or before. It's about 2 hours away.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If there are nice itineraries out of Tampa, why not from there?

In Tampa you have Bush Gardens, and nearby is Clearwater Beach. Also Tarpon Springs if you want to pick up some natural Sea sponges.

Lots do do around there.

And you sail under the Skyline bridge.

I been looking at the carnival fantasy in SC for a 5 day cruise. Im hoping the fantasy is a nice ship. I do think its one of the smaller ships right??

I would love to go to Miami but that's just about 10 hours from me. :(

Port Canaveral is the one I used for my first cruise and my honeymoon and we loved that area. Sadly... they only have 1 5 day cruise and its when my wife cant go because of work. I guess I can always convince her to do the 8 day cruise on the sunshine! haha

Ya I just looked up tampa and its only 7 hours from me. It shows the carnival paradise for the ship... Seems like a smaller ship? Does it still have the auditorium for shows, little gift stores, and other cool features??

We were on the Paradise for New Years when there was no smoking at all, including the crew anywhere on the ship! But they had to start smoking on her again. She has everything the other Carnival ships have, theater, shops, disco, lounges, pool, hot tub, etc. I think there are about 2100 passengers.

I wouldn't hesitate to try her again!

Edited by Bonnie J.

i have heard once you have been on one of the bigger carnival ships then yo should stick to them. I been on the dream and i loved how it was spread out and huge to walk around and get lost lol.

which of the smaller ships have had any recent 2.0 changes or whatever there called?

There are cruises from Miami FL. Plenty to do there.

I have to second this. On our first cruise from Miami we stayed near port and walked to Bayfront Mall. I could spend a day there. South Beach is really cool with neat architecture and beach. Then there is Little Havana where there is some great food. The people were not really friendly there but they tolerated us. As our taxi driver stated, "It is a 24 hour party."

Miami has some great 7 night cruises but the majority of the 5 nighters are to the Bahamas. Not a big fan of the Bahamas. Been there, done that, not impressed. For a good 5 night itinerary I would sail out of Tampa. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are two of our favorite ports.

Edited by clackey

For special occasion I would go to Miami, stay in South Beach for a nite or two, enjoy the beaches. Some of the Deco hotels very affordable. Look them up on Trip Advisor.com.My only problem with CCL is they keep renaming their really old ships to fool the public into thinking its a new ship. Check ship age before booking.

The ONLY ship CCL has renamed is the Destiny. It is now the Sunshine. They spent 15 million dollars redoing her and she has more than earned her new name. She is not like the Destiny at all. If they didn't change the name people would not know this is like a brand new ship, they'd think the old Destiny. We have been on both and are going again on the Sunshine next Saturday.

The Sunshine's home port is Port Canaveral.

Edited by Bonnie J.

i will look into the non bahamas cruises. I went to the bahama when i was little and it was ok. I been to the western caribbean places from the dream last year so I'm trying to find some different places to go to like tampa for the bridge or miami since everyone says its the best. I thought port canaveral was awesome lol

well here goes.... fingers crossed that i can find something.

if you're thinking Port Canaveral the 'new' Carnival Sunshine is home ported there. She used to be the Destiny but Carnival spent 15 million do redo her and they have! They had to change the name because people would think of the old Destiny not the really NEW Sunshine! We were on her in May and are getting on her this Saturday. She does both Eastern & Western ports. This coming week its the Western ports next week the Eastern. Look into this cruise, you won't be unhappy with the Sunshine!

Ok, so i have narrowed it down and need your opinions:

1) 7 day eastern cruise on conquest 9/28/14 from miami

2) 7 day eastern cruise on glory 9/6 from miami

3) 8 day eastern cruise on freedom 9/6 from fort lauderdale

4) 5 day western cruise on victory from miami on 9/6

5) 5 day eastern cruise on freedom from fort lauderdale on 9/1

I been researching and they say certain parts of august and september its best to go on a western VS eastern because of the seas being more active. How about you guys choose which cruise listed above and ill just go on that cruise! haha