3 day itinerary (next week during Cup match) Celebrity Summit

Cutesydani

sorry for reposting things people may have already posted! this is my first cruise and I usually go to all inclusive resorts where we just pay for the excursions through them etc. So I am little nervous. I am also younger (28) so I want to make sure I am not being to naive about what to expect in Bermuda ( and on the ship for sure) I know Laney and Travelgirl have also been posting and I saw them on roll call and will be on my ship also! ( I am not so naive as I am a NYC high school teacher but still!!)

Also if any of you locals can tell me the best way to travel to each of these locations to one and other I would love you forever!! As I said this is so tricky for me to even try to fit these things in and see if they are near eachother etc! I will italicize the routes that I had looked up as the ways to get from one place to another but please tell me if there are better options! Thank you!

I know cup match is going on so I am hoping this will all work well??

**We are also young and traveling on the cheap as my BF is still in grad school, so we are not eating anywhere other than the ship for dinner etc, lunch we plan to order sandwiches from room service or something and take them with us to picnic on the beaches etc***

Wednesday:

We are in no rush to beat the crowds at 8:30 or 9.

And I just found out something I wanted to do is only available on Wednesday so … Wednesday at like 10:30 AM the horse drawn carriage ride at St. Georges instead of the tram etc ( highly rated on tripadvisor)

Afterwards stroll around the area for a little if we feel the need.

I guess the best way there and back is the ferry?( How long is the ferry ride?)

Back to the boat for lunch and snacks to bring with us etc.

Then the afternoon we plan to hit up Gibbs Hill Light house and walk up etc around that area.

(Bus # 7 will take you via Middle Road. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station (see map). From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.)

Then end with a few hours on horseshoe bay beach or as I have been told walk left and head towards the other not as crowded beaches. By this time it should be around 2:00 at least so maybe a little less crowded? ( we don’t need chairs and umbrellas etc just want to go in the water and enjoy the area!)

***What is the best way to get from the lighthouse to Horseshoe bay beach?? Bus back from here at the Henry restaurant bus station?

**also to get back from horseshoe bay beach to the dockyard there is the #7 bus right or whatever that “special bus” is ?

Then back to the boat for dinner and then harbor nights at night

( ferry to Hamilton)

Thursday:

Leave around 10:30 or 11:00 with a picnic lunch to eat at anytime through the day.

Not sure the best way to get there?? found this… get the fast ferry into Hamilton (blue route) - takes 20 mins, then probably take the the 1 or 3 bus to the Crystal Caves.

Go to the crystal caves

(the entrance to blue hole seems to be right there? From reviews?)

Then after check out Blue Hole Park? Not necessarily the jungle as it seems hard to navigate and find good things without a guide. ( want to go to the place where they used to do the dolphin shows?)

**depending if we want to explore this area more we will. ( if we stayed what’s the best way home from here? Same bus as the one to the caves?) 1 or 3 right? But 10 or 11 work also?

If not go to Shelly bay beach for the rest of the afternoon. ( Is there a better/closer option this beach seemed beautiful!!

**How could we get to Shelly bay beach from here?? And then back to the dock??

Is the best way from blue hole park to go towards the swizzle inn and then get on the 10 or the 11? When do we get off?

And then back we would also take the 10 or the 11 back to the docks at Hamilton for the ferry back?

Dinner on the boat

Night: our only excursion we are doing since we had $100 on board credit.

Friday:

9:30 the free dockyard re-enactment ( 9:30-9:50) and then the walking tour of the dockyard for free 9:50-10:30. Then explore the area there for awhile or so, check out the glassworks and rum factory etc.

Depending how we feel then either lunch, the Bermuda fun golf ( had great reviews but seems like a waste) and just walk around until we leave.

Or more likely an early lunch and then head to black bay beach for about 2 hours and then back to catch the boat!

***whats the best way to black bay beach? Can we walk it?

Welcome to Cruise Critic,

Soooo many questions and info needed ;), lets give it a try :) !

Check the red notes in your quote !

sorry for reposting things people may have already posted! this is my first cruise and I usually go to all inclusive resorts where we just pay for the excursions through them etc. So I am little nervous. I am also younger (28) so I want to make sure I am not being to naive about what to expect in Bermuda ( and on the ship for sure) I know Laney and Travelgirl have also been posting and I saw them on roll call and will be on my ship also! ( I am not so naive as I am a NYC high school teacher but still!!)

Also if any of you locals can tell me the best way to travel to each of these locations to one and other I would love you forever!! As I said this is so tricky for me to even try to fit these things in and see if they are near eachother etc! I will italicize the routes that I had looked up as the ways to get from one place to another but please tell me if there are better options! Thank you!

I know cup match is going on so I am hoping this will all work well?? Cup match days ( Thursday and Friday ) are both public holidays. This means reduced bus schedule and some confusion on the ferry schedule...meaning that the seaexpress.bm schedule shows NO ferry on holidays except on the pink local route... like cruiser more in the know stated on an other thread, there is reduced service on ALL routes.

**We are also young and traveling on the cheap as my BF is still in grad school, so we are not eating anywhere other than the ship for dinner etc, lunch we plan to order sandwiches from room service or something and take them with us to picnic on the beaches etc*** You are not allowed to bring food out of the ship...you could try to sneak it out...but I wouldn't :o

Wednesday:

We are in no rush to beat the crowds at 8:30 or 9.

And I just found out something I wanted to do is only available on Wednesday so … Wednesday at like 10:30 AM the horse drawn carriage ride at St. Georges instead of the tram etc ( highly rated on tripadvisor)

Afterwards stroll around the area for a little if we feel the need.

I guess the best way there and back is the ferry?( How long is the ferry ride?)

Back to the boat for lunch and snacks to bring with us etc. If you want to make it to St-George for 10:30 you will HAVE to beat the crowds and leave on the 9:30 ferry to St-George ( with a long queue..get out early ! ) then the earliest ferry from St-George is 1pm with a 45 minute ride to the Dockyard you will be on the ship around 2pm for your lunch.

Then the afternoon we plan to hit up Gibbs Hill Light house and walk up etc around that area.

(Bus # 7 will take you via Middle Road. Leave the bus at the Henry IIIV restaurant bus station (see map). From there it is a 5 - 10 min walk to the lighthouse.) If you leave the ship around 3pm after a quick lunch, grab the bus and go up Gibb's Hill Lighthouse ( in my opinion a must do )...then 4pm is the earliest you will head to Horseshoe Bay beach

Then end with a few hours on horseshoe bay beach or as I have been told walk left and head towards the other not as crowded beaches. By this time it should be around 2:00 at least so maybe a little less crowded? ( we don’t need chairs and umbrellas etc just want to go in the water and enjoy the area!) Honestly IMO HSB is not an option for day 1 :(

***What is the best way to get from the lighthouse to Horseshoe bay beach?? Bus back from here at the Henry restaurant bus station?

**also to get back from horseshoe bay beach to the dockyard there is the #7 bus right or whatever that “special bus” is ? when/if you go to HSB, yes bus #7 or the "special bus" will get you back to the Dockyard to the SHIP ;)

Then back to the boat for dinner and then harbor nights at night

( ferry to Hamilton) You should head back to the ship after the Lighthouse and enjoy dinner. Then grab the 6:30pm ferry ( 20 minute ride and the Harbor Nights "event" starts at 7pm.

* please read about the Harbor Nights on other threads..you might choose to NOT go and enjoy Horseshoe Bay Beach instead ( I would because of this, as per bermuda-online.org : It is a very busy time for camping and picnicking at public (Government) parks or beaches or both. The designated campgrounds are Ferry Point, Coney Island and Chaplin Bay but all public parks and beaches are liable to be invaded by persons pitching tents from two days beforehand and until the Sunday evening after Cup Match. It can be very disconcerting for tourists who hope in vain for deserted public beaches and who are not used to seeing campers pitching tents so close to public beaches. They simply would not be allowed in their own countries. Nor would the trash so many locals leave near their tents )

Thursday:

Leave around 10:30 or 11:00 with a picnic lunch to eat at anytime through the day. Again...no...sorry

Not sure the best way to get there?? found this… get the fast ferry into Hamilton (blue route) - takes 20 mins, then probably take the the 1 or 3 bus to the Crystal Caves. Ferry service is at 10:30 or 11:30...obviously I suggest 10:30

Go to the crystal caves figure about 40 minutes including the wait for the transfer...so it is now 11:30am...walk to the caves..do the caves IN PEAK hour...now after the caves it might be 1pm...

(the entrance to blue hole seems to be right there? From reviews?) Let's say you spend 2 hours there and take the bus to reach Shelly Bay it is now 3pm when you reach the beach via the bus

Then after check out Blue Hole Park? Not necessarily the jungle as it seems hard to navigate and find good things without a guide. ( want to go to the place where they used to do the dolphin shows?)

**depending if we want to explore this area more we will. ( if we stayed what’s the best way home from here? Same bus as the one to the caves?) 1 or 3 right? But 10 or 11 work also? Yes bus 1,3,10,11 are all good !

If not go to Shelly bay beach for the rest of the afternoon. ( Is there a better/closer option this beach seemed beautiful!!

**How could we get to Shelly bay beach from here?? And then back to the dock?? From the Swizzle Inn to Shelly Bay bus #10 or #11, then same bus back to Hamilton and ferry to the Dockyard

Is the best way from blue hole park to go towards the swizzle inn and then get on the 10 or the 11? When do we get off?

And then back we would also take the 10 or the 11 back to the docks at Hamilton for the ferry back?

Dinner on the boat

Night: our only excursion we are doing since we had $100 on board credit.

If you do the caves, Shelly Beach for a couple of hours, back to the ship...it is now about 6pm or even 6:30pm...what time is your excursion ? do you have enough time to eat dinner ?

*** REMEMBER THE REDUCED SERVICE FOR BOTH FERRY AND BUSSES

Friday:

9:30 the free dockyard re-enactment ( 9:30-9:50) and then the walking tour of the dockyard for free 9:50-10:30. Then explore the area there for awhile or so, check out the glassworks and rum factory etc.

Depending how we feel then either lunch, the Bermuda fun golf ( had great reviews but seems like a waste) and just walk around until we leave.

Or more likely an early lunch and then head to black bay beach for about 2 hours and then back to catch the boat!

***whats the best way to black bay beach? Can we walk it?

Black Bay is a GREAT idea, let me find the link to a great post ...

In all modesty, I think day 1 and day 2 are to reconsider... you are lacking time... I think you will have to skip something :(...

thank you so much!! excursion is at 8:00PM On Thursday and we have anytime seating so that is fine for Thursday. I guess Wednesday would only work well if we skip the morning at St George's. Is it really horrible to not visit St. Georges at all? Will I regret that?

Well you said you found "one" thing you want to do on Wednesday...

Me...I would do St-George because I like the historical history of it, the great building construction, the Unfinished Church, the Somers Garden, etc..., then back to ship to eat dinner, do Gibb's Hill Lighthouse and Horseshoe Bay and skip Harbor Nights.

IF you are not a history buff, or do not appreciate the old buildings...you could skip St-George...

On Thursday I would skip Shelly Bay...except if you are a beach lover, then I would skip Blue Hole to make time for the beach.

On either day, you could go to Snorkel Park...yes it's a man made beach...but it is still Bermuda water and weather.

Have fun !

well I really just wanted a horse-drawn carriage tour as it seems super romantic and can be good around the area. my BF LOVES horses and horse back riding but we cannot afford the $75 per person that they charge to do that on Bermuda so this was the closest. Upon looking I found that they have these in Hamilton as well? or even around the dockyard ( these seem to be the boat excursions though and is probably similar to the free walking tour I would do on Friday)

IMHO...Shelly Bay is a very shallow beach, very warm water to the point of being a little unpleasant. Reminds me of a hotel pool in Key West in July. Depending on your time of day and time spent I'd recommend John Smith's over Shelly. Either the #1 or #3 will get you there (#1 stops right in front or #3 to Devil's Hole and walk for 3mins to John Smith's).

Harbor Night's is mehh.

I have been hearing harbour nights is not all that it has cracked up to be so the new plan is to skip St. george's because even though it seems super nice the timing and the next earliest ferry being at 1:00 it really wont work. So Wednesday will stay with the lighthouse and Horseshoe bay beach then if harbour nights is not so good we will get one of the carriage rides at night there. Reviews said they are nice and informational but are romantic!

Thursday stick with caves and then blue hole if we can find it? not trying to do the jungle just that one area.

then one of the other beaches In reviews Shelly bay seemed to be nice and deserted but if you suggested John Smiths I wil;l start looking that up! then we have our ngith tour at 8:00

You said black bay was good for Friday. We are only getting the 2 day travel pass so what is the best/ cheapest way to get to black bay?

According to something I read on bermuda-attractions.com, there are no longer any regular carriage rides in Hamilton because few ships dock there, so there's no demand. It's possible they may be offered only when a ship is docked there.

Even if there are rides available at times, it's unlikely they would be available on Harbour Nights, because the area on Front Street where they formerly started is right in the heart of the street festival...meaning the streets in that area could be restricted to pedestrians.

To get to Black Bay from Dockyard take a #7 or 8 bus. You might want to consider buying a 3 day transportation pass instead of the 2 day.

Edited by njhorseman

I have been hearing harbour nights is not all that it has cracked up to be so the new plan is to skip St. george's because even though it seems super nice the timing and the next earliest ferry being at 1:00 it really wont work. So Wednesday will stay with the lighthouse and Horseshoe bay beach then if harbour nights is not so good we will get one of the carriage rides at night there. Reviews said they are nice and informational but are romantic!

Thursday stick with caves and then blue hole if we can find it? not trying to do the jungle just that one area.

then one of the other beaches In reviews Shelly bay seemed to be nice and deserted but if you suggested John Smiths I wil;l start looking that up! then we have our ngith tour at 8:00

You said black bay was good for Friday. We are only getting the 2 day travel pass so what is the best/ cheapest way to get to black bay?

Have a look at this link...look at the notes at the bottom of the page.... don't get your hopes up :(

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_0000c1.htm

yes, see this would all work out well as planned if I could do St.Georges on the same day I plan to do crystal caves on Thursday. or else my BF would kill me for the amount of time traveling there on Wednesday....I am guessing the horses are out at this point. So the rest I think is staying the same. Except on Thursday I need to decide after blue hole if we want to do Shelly bay or a different beach!

yes, see this would all work out well as planned if I could do St.Georges on the same day I plan to do crystal caves on Thursday. or else my BF would kill me for the amount of time traveling there on Wednesday....I am guessing the horses are out at this point. So the rest I think is staying the same. Except on Thursday I need to decide after blue hole if we want to do Shelly bay or a different beach!

But please remember that there MIGHT BE NO ferry service on Thursday and Friday. Bus service is reduce and since the cup match is in Somerset this year, the buses will be full to the door at this end of the Island.

Bus #7 on holidays : Leaves Dockyard the earliest at 10:50 am and last one to bring you back at the Dockyard leaves Hamilton at 4:30 pm.

Getting to St-George by bus is about 2 hours on regular service...

Edited by sebas030