Gluten Free Snack Options?

mbjonsn

My husband and I are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas in April. This will be our first cruise since my husband has had to eat gluten free. I've completed the dietary restriction paperwork for the MDR, etc., but I'm curious about any snack items, especially in the Cafe Promenade...we always loved their offerings. Do they have anything for someone who has to eat gluten free? Neither one of us could remember anything that was gluten free, but then we weren't really looking for anything specific back then, either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You can get a nice fruit and cheese plate from room service and just not eat the crackers (or bring some of your own). In the WJ in the afternoons, they have a snack bar set up which often includes nachos - corn chips are gluten-free.

My daughter is GF and our last cruise was the first time we dealt with her new diet. They were wonderful in accommodating her for all the main meals (even had GF bread on hand) but she felt there was lack of GF desserts & snacks. It didn't hamper her experience, she just ate more fruit & sherbet but did wish the dessert & snack options were bigger.

My husband and I are leaving on the Adventure of the Seas in April. This will be our first cruise since my husband has had to eat gluten free. I've completed the dietary restriction paperwork for the MDR, etc., but I'm curious about any snack items, especially in the Cafe Promenade...we always loved their offerings. Do they have anything for someone who has to eat gluten free? Neither one of us could remember anything that was gluten free, but then we weren't really looking for anything specific back then, either.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most of the ships have the same gluten free options, the bread is excellent, and freshly made each day. You get several choices from the dining menu, each night ( and no it is not salad every night) There are Udi gluten free cookies that should available, you just have to get them to check. Some of the breakfast areas have Udi bagels. Alas, not much at Johnny Rockets, other than the milk shakes.

We brought along some Breton GF crackers, and ordered a cheese plate from room service, each evening.

Just ask one of the supervisors at the dining places, they are quite aware of GF and keeping the foods separated.

Just off Adventure..

Park Cafe had sammies, and wraps, pizza and desserts.

Donuts, cheesecake on a stick, Willy Wonka Pie, mud cake and a rasp tart type thing, all of those I believe wouldn't be GF

I would also suggest you bring something if you want it.

Just thought I'd let you know specifically about Park Cafe since you mentioned it.

Have a Wonderful trip!

The ship was amazing and the ports were UNBELIEVABLY awesome!!!

My daughter is GF and our last cruise was the first time we dealt with her new diet. They were wonderful in accommodating her for all the main meals (even had GF bread on hand) but she felt there was lack of GF desserts & snacks. It didn't hamper her experience, she just ate more fruit & sherbet but did wish the dessert & snack options were bigger.

I had the same experience. Windjammer was generally a disappointment since my son wanted to go there constantly. But considering that you can still get some great stuff (pancakes!!!), I didn't go hungry.

I had the same experience. Windjammer was generally a disappointment since my son wanted to go there constantly. But considering that you can still get some great stuff (pancakes!!!), I didn't go hungry.

I have Celiac disease, so I completely understand the need for GF items onboard. I found that snacks throughout the day we're kind of tough. But, they do let you bring in your own nonperishable items, so I packed some crackers, Kind bars, etc. I also found the staff in MDR ANDY in the Windjammer to be accommodating. In fact, my experience in WJ was better than in MDR.

Best advice I can give you is to speak to staff in both locations as soon as you arrive. They made special meals for me & took great care of me throughout the cruise. He'll do just fine, and I promise he won't starve. :)

Quite a few years GF cruising different ships.

With the exception of Freedom the bread has been dire.

You need to be very wary of cross contamination in WJ. The fries and mashed potato served there may very well NOT be GF. Speak to a chef there each time before dining, do not rely on the wisdom of the servers. They do occasionally label items that are GF. There's a GF chocolate whipped mousse I'm particularly partial to :eek:

At breakfast in the MDR you can get GF bagels, french toast, muffins and pancakes on request. This can be more difficult in WJ.

UDI cookies should be available from the Cafe. On Legend Latte-tudes did a GF chocolate cake which was wonderful. If there's a Cupcake Cupboard on board they do a rather yummy GF version for purchase.

I don't lose weight cruising that's for sure.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

• 3 weeks later...

Not a snack question...but GF question. I am not that knowledgeable but researching for a friend.

The copy of the MDR menu that I have (from 2014) shows the sliders (on the MDR alternative menu) as GF. Are they? Also, on the Pomodora menu it shows a Rigatoni pasta as GF. Is that true? I saw one dessert that was both sugar-free and GF. Does anyone know can you request any others that are both SF and GF?

thanks.

The chicken sliders are yummy. They will be served in a GF bun.

The BBB dessert is GF and is served nightly. They serve it without the biscotti. They have GF pasta and you can order that whenever. Desserts cannot be altered to be GF as far as I know other than removing any garnish.

It will help your friend to request the menu for the next night and then ask for the specific dish they'd like. Sometimes a dish can be prepared with warning to be GF even if it isn't marked as such it can be adapted..... e.g remove the mashed potato and replace with a baked one.

The chicken sliders are yummy. They will be served in a GF bun.

The BBB dessert is GF and is served nightly. They serve it without the biscotti. They have GF pasta and you can order that whenever. Desserts cannot be altered to be GF as far as I know other than removing any garnish.

It will help your friend to request the menu for the next night and then ask for the specific dish they'd like. Sometimes a dish can be prepared with warning to be GF even if it isn't marked as such it can be adapted..... e.g remove the mashed potato and replace with a baked one.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I found eating GF much easier on the ship than going out to restaurants. The first night our waiter brought me photocopies of the whole weeks menu's with the GF items indicated. Then I ordered the night before at the end of dinner. I did not have to eat the same thing over and over and there were always choices. But I did have the Creme Brule several nights. It is easier to eat in the MDR whenever possible. The salad bar there at lunch was nice.

In the Windjammer if you ask a chef or supervisor they will take you around and show you what is GF. I only went there for breakfast occasionally and was pretty much limited to eggs made to order, hash browns, corned beef hash and fruit.

I don't like GF bread so I didn't try any of it. In windjammer and the place on the promanade if you ask for GF cookies they have packaged Udi's cookies that were pretty good.

It's been a year since my last cruise but leaving tomorrow. I'll update with anything new

Not a snack question...but GF question. I am not that knowledgeable but researching for a friend.

The copy of the MDR menu that I have (from 2014) shows the sliders (on the MDR alternative menu) as GF. Are they? Also, on the Pomodora menu it shows a Rigatoni pasta as GF. Is that true? I saw one dessert that was both sugar-free and GF. Does anyone know can you request any others that are both SF and GF?

thanks.

Most of the items marked GF on the menu are AVAILABLE to be prepared GF. Just ordering it without requesting GF will probably not be. For example the Rigatoni has to be ordered with GF pasta, everyone else gets regular. Same for the sliders and other items. I was told (obviously can't confirm) that all the items for GF passengers are prepared in a different area of the kitchen..

I was told (obviously can't confirm) that all the items for GF passengers are prepared in a different area of the kitchen..

This is true. There is a completely separated work station, knives, cooking vessels are all used for GF only. Other than completely inclosing the station there isn't much else they can do to ensure cross contamination doesn't happen.