I think I'm done with the Legacy Airlines

kelmac

Well, I'm used to Delta changing schedules on me, but they hit below the belt on this one. We are flying WN (Southwest) to FLL for a holiday cruise out of Miami. I thought it makes sense to fly Delta home out of Miami, as we need to get back home as my wife's teaching schedule starts up Monday morning.

So Jan 4th (Sunday) is a very busy travel day and they changed our connecting flight so we now have almost a five hour layover in Atlanta. At the same time they messed up our seating (SOP). All this, with less than two months to go. Guess what -- too late in the game to make any changes, as all the flights are full on both sides of our layover. Can't really cancel and rebook as the prices are out of sight. I'm stuck, and I've never been stuck before. I've always been able to work the system to a satisfactory alternative. Not looking good this time.

I've already given up on United and American/USAir -- looks like Delta now makes the list. I guess it's Southwest, Alaska and maybe I should give JetBlue a shot? WN is looking better and better these days, and at least they almost never change their schedule once posted.

Never say never, but as of today, I'm done with the "Mega Three".

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Well, I'm used to Delta changing schedules on me, but they hit below the belt on this one. We are flying WN (Southwest) to FLL for a holiday cruise out of Miami. I thought it makes sense to fly Delta home out of Miami, as we need to get back home as my wife's teaching schedule starts up Monday morning.

So Jan 4th (Sunday) is a very busy travel day and they changed our connecting flight so we now have almost a five hour layover in Atlanta. At the same time they messed up our seating (SOP). All this, with less than two months to go. Guess what -- too late in the game to make any changes, as all the flights are full on both sides of our layover. Can't really cancel and rebook as the prices are out of sight. I'm stuck, and I've never been stuck before. I've always been able to work the system to a satisfactory alternative. Not looking good this time.

I've already given up on United and American/USAir -- looks like Delta now makes the list. I guess it's Southwest, Alaska and maybe I should give JetBlue a shot? WN is looking better and better these days, and at least they almost never change their schedule once posted.

Never say never, but as of today, I'm done with the "Mega Three".

Enjoy!

I've done something similar and have sworn off UA. Was a longtime customer, and of CO before that. Had status, but upgrades had become few and far between, and I absolutely hated UA's reliance on regional jets.

We take WN mostly now for domestic travel, and price shop all carriers for the best international flights. Though, I still have some UA miles to burn off. ;)

Have you explored options on Delta that might fit your schedule and actually called them? American changed my wife's schedule last week by 5 hours...she found a flight she wanted, called AA, and they changed it for free with 2 minutes on the phone.

That's going to really limit your flying options. Keep checking the seating chart. People will cancel/upgrade/move seats and you may be able to find something better.

I don't love any airline. I stick with UA because that's where I have status and miles. Just finished a 36 hour mileage run with them, and I was on some of the dumpiest, rundown planes ever. On one flight, there were three broken seats in F, including mine. I ended up with quite a large voucher, and an acceptable seat, but this is par for the course. No airline is great; I just see flights as something to get through to get where I'm going.

i've flown Southwest almost exclusively for domestic flights for ten years - 4 or 5 RTs per year. In that time, I've only had one schedule change after I booked, and a quick call to customer service took my flight option back to something that worked for me with zero inconvenience, except for the call. Even weather delays have been handled smoothly and with minimal inconvenience.

Contrast that to the one time I flew USAir, when my flight time changed three times in a week, customer service was zero help, and I ended up missing a connection because they refused to agree that a ten minute layover might not be enough time to make a connecting flight.

Or the one time that I flew Spirit, and our flight was delayed five hours for "mechanical" issues with zero updates, no options and a "tough luck" attitude from customer service.

Not only do I pay less for my flights with Southwest, if the price drops, I can re-book and get the difference in credit. I have always had excellent customer service regardless of the situation.

Southwest might not always get it right, but they *will* always do what they can to make it right. That's why I stay.

Have you explored options on Delta that might fit your schedule and actually called them? American changed my wife's schedule last week by 5 hours...she found a flight she wanted, called AA, and they changed it for free with 2 minutes on the phone.

Yes, called them. All flights out of MIA are booked full; they moved our flight out of ATL from 5:07pm to 7:36pm. I can get free flight changes, but all flights are full. Even staying overnight in ATL won't work.

That's going to really limit your flying options. Keep checking the seating chart. People will cancel/upgrade/move seats and you may be able to find something better.

I don't love any airline. I stick with UA because that's where I have status and miles. Just finished a 36 hour mileage run with them, and I was on some of the dumpiest, rundown planes ever. On one flight, there were three broken seats in F, including mine. I ended up with quite a large voucher, and an acceptable seat, but this is par for the course. No airline is great; I just see flights as something to get through to get where I'm going.

Excellent idea; I will check the seating chart every day!

i've flown Southwest almost exclusively for domestic flights for ten years - 4 or 5 RTs per year. In that time, I've only had one schedule change after I booked, and a quick call to customer service took my flight option back to something that worked for me with zero inconvenience, except for the call. Even weather delays have been handled smoothly and with minimal inconvenience.

Contrast that to the one time I flew USAir, when my flight time changed three times in a week, customer service was zero help, and I ended up missing a connection because they refused to agree that a ten minute layover might not be enough time to make a connecting flight.

Or the one time that I flew Spirit, and our flight was delayed five hours for "mechanical" issues with zero updates, no options and a "tough luck" attitude from customer service.

Not only do I pay less for my flights with Southwest, if the price drops, I can re-book and get the difference in credit. I have always had excellent customer service regardless of the situation.

Southwest might not always get it right, but they *will* always do what they can to make it right. That's why I stay.

I agree 100%! I fly WN 10 -- 15 R/Ts a year and have never had an issue. The combo of flying them frequently and their Credit Card enables me to fly free about 25% of the time.

Enjoy!

Excellent idea; I will check the seating chart every day!

Just be aware that the seating chart is a very inaccurate way to gauge available seats on a flight. Checking availability on the airline's website is probably the best with DL since they now no longer allow sites like Expert Flyer to have access to their inventory.

Just be aware that the seating chart is a very inaccurate way to gauge available seats on a flight. Checking availability on the airline's website is probably the best with DL since they now no longer allow sites like Expert Flyer to have access to their inventory.

It's a very accurate way for OP to accomplish what they want. This poster wants to change their already booked seat, not purchase a new ticket. By checking their itinerary, they can look and see if a better seat opened up, that they than may move to.

Edited by 6rugrats

So true; when I called Delta I pointed out the seats I wanted on an afternoon flight, the agent said the flight was completely sold out, but not all seats had been assigned. So the "check seats" map is a waste.

But as 6rugrats pointed out, I can log into our flight and see if anything opens up.

Hope something opens up, but this is all 1st world problems and we will make the best of what ever happens.

PS -- I did check on the Delta flights leaving from FLL, but they were all full as well.

Enjoy!

Be aware that WN is tinkering with their scheduling right now. They are even tinkering with already scheduled flights. Their on-time ratings had gotten poor, due to lessened turnaround time between legs of flights. So, they started adjusting to give a few more minutes.

They delayed releasing the newest booking window (although it is open now) and they adjusted a few existing flights. Our 8 am flights from STL to FLL in February were adjusted from 8 am to 7 45 am. Not a huge change, but enough that we groaned.

Also, their pricing isn't as good as it used to be. We arranged flights for May to fly STL to SEA. I compared on the Southwest site, as well as Kayak and Expedia. United was the least expensive, even with bag fees. When I checked other ratings, and took the existing credit we had with WN into account, we stayed with WN. I would rather fly in a 737 than a little bitty plane from STL to DEN to switch planes. Plus, the WN website showed one price, then when I got to checkout, it was actually less than the shown price! I've never had that happen before! The price in the cart dropped from $345 to $270 per person! Something was strange, but I wasn't going to complain about that!

Be aware that WN is tinkering with their scheduling right now. They are even tinkering with already scheduled flights. Their on-time ratings had gotten poor, due to lessened turnaround time between legs of flights. So, they started adjusting to give a few more minutes.

They delayed releasing the newest booking window (although it is open now) and they adjusted a few existing flights. Our 8 am flights from STL to FLL in February were adjusted from 8 am to 7 45 am. Not a huge change, but enough that we groaned.

Also, their pricing isn't as good as it used to be. We arranged flights for May to fly STL to SEA. I compared on the Southwest site, as well as Kayak and Expedia. United was the least expensive, even with bag fees. When I checked other ratings, and took the existing credit we had with WN into account, we stayed with WN. I would rather fly in a 737 than a little bitty plane from STL to DEN to switch planes. Plus, the WN website showed one price, then when I got to checkout, it was actually less than the shown price! I've never had that happen before! The price in the cart dropped from $345 to $270 per person! Something was strange, but I wasn't going to complain about that!

Saying that Southwest's on-time performance has gotten "poor" is an understatement. They used to be fantastic. Unfortunately, they're pretty well at the bottom now. And yeah, pricing used to be fantastic ten years ago. I miss flying from Kansas City to Chicago for $39 or $49. As a college student, those prices were fantastic.

Regarding the price dropping - a few years ago I was on Expedia looking for some personal travel from, if I remember correctly, Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur on Malaysia Airlines. The roundtrip was supposed to be about $400. When I clicked "purchase", it dropped to $225. I couldn't believe my eyes. Booked that bad boy in a heart beat.

Saying that Southwest's on-time performance has gotten "poor" is an understatement. They used to be fantastic. Unfortunately, they're pretty well at the bottom now. And yeah, pricing used to be fantastic ten years ago. I miss flying from Kansas City to Chicago for $39 or $49. As a college student, those prices were fantastic.

Regarding the price dropping - a few years ago I was on Expedia looking for some personal travel from, if I remember correctly, Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur on Malaysia Airlines. The roundtrip was supposed to be about $400. When I clicked "purchase", it dropped to $225. I couldn't believe my eyes. Booked that bad boy in a heart beat.

Zach you are correct about on time issues, as most WN flights are on time in the morning, but as the day goes on they start to slip and few afternoon/evening flights stay on schedule. Part of the problem of having a point to point routing system, with a quick turnaround. Around our neck of the woods, WN is almost always cheaper, and UA is the most expensive.

By the way, my wife grew up in Olathe, Paola and Hillsdale.

Enjoy!

Zach you are correct about on time issues, as most WN flights are on time in the morning, but as the day goes on they start to slip and few afternoon/evening flights stay on schedule. Part of the problem of having a point to point routing system, with a quick turnaround. Around our neck of the woods, WN is almost always cheaper, and UA is the most expensive.

By the way, my wife grew up in Olathe, Paola and Hillsdale.

Enjoy!

Nice! I moved here from Chicago about 12 years ago to go to college and stayed. I love Kansas City...and everyone who visits me is surprised by how much they end up liking it. Really is a hidden gem in flyover country.

Southwest's problems really started when they expanded in to busier, more delay prone airports several years ago - places like LGA, BOS, etc. Back in the day, many of the airports they served were practically owned by Southwest - there weren't many other flights and airlines to screw things up, and many of them were "out of the way". Now they're at the mercy of busy airports and busy ATC sectors like the Northeast, where operations have gone from minimal (Hartford, Providence and Manchester) to massive (Boston, NYC, Philly, etc)

Recently did a Houston-London trip on United. Very poor compared to what we have experienced on airlines such as Lufthansa, Air Canada.

So much so that we took a second look at next months flight to Bangkok on United. Fortunately two of the thee legs (the longest) are codeshares operated by ANA. We previously had very good flights to Bangkok on Delta but their price was not competitive this time. We were Continental fans.....but no so much United any more. Feel sorry for those with lots of Continental points that got moved over.....the service is just not the same.

Recently did a Houston-London trip on United. Very poor compared to what we have experienced on airlines such as Lufthansa, Air Canada.

So much so that we took a second look at next months flight to Bangkok on United. Fortunately two of the thee legs (the longest) are codeshares operated by ANA. We previously had very good flights to Bangkok on Delta but their price was not competitive this time. We were Continental fans.....but no so much United any more. Feel sorry for those with lots of Continental points that got moved over.....the service is just not the same.

iancal,

I agree! Continental was our go to airline for flights in the winter (better no snow hub). Every winter it would be CO through IAH or WN if the flights connected in HOU. We even did a few non-stops ABQ to MCO and would drive down to Ft Lauderdale with a one-way rental. CO/UA just lost it's mojo with us.

As of late, we only do British Airways (to Europe) out of JFK because they offer an early morning flight. We do WN to either BWI and take the train into NYC, or WN to LGA. We always like to spend some time in NYC before heading over the pond.

Enjoy!

. We were Continental fans.....but no so much United any more. Feel sorry for those with lots of Continental points that got moved over.....the service is just not the same.

I find this interesting. The CEO of UA is CO's previous CEO. The reservation system is CO's. The webpage is basically CO's old webpage. Most policies were changed to CO's policies. There is very little of UA left.

Interesting. I haven't experienced that with Southwest, at least not noticeably. I've had flights with 10-15 minute delays, but nothing monumental.

When flights on Expedia have been cheaper than Southwest, it's been by less than $50 - not enough to justify booking.

Of course, I'm flying out of one of their hub cities, so I would expect service to be a bit more consistent here.

Interesting. I haven't experienced that with Southwest, at least not noticeably. I've had flights with 10-15 minute delays, but nothing monumental.

When flights on Expedia have been cheaper than Southwest, it's been by less than $50 - not enough to justify booking.

Of course, I'm flying out of one of their hub cities, so I would expect service to be a bit more consistent here.

Southwest doesn't technically have any hub cities

Southwest doesn't technically have any hub cities

Fine.

Airport of substantial size with comparably larger number of direct flights departing and arriving on a daily basis that few, if any, other cities serviced by Southwest could compete with.

Or, a hub city, as defined by any other airline on the planet.

Fine.

Airport of substantial size with comparably larger number of direct flights departing and arriving on a daily basis that few, if any, other cities serviced by Southwest could compete with.

Or, a hub city, as defined by any other airline on the planet.

Just the tone of the Cruise Air forum at its finest shining through.:D Don't be offended.

+1 to your comment. Call them whatever you want, but MDW, DEN and DAL are "hubs" for WN (or is it SW?!?!?).

Edited by frugaltravel