Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Has anyone actually TAKEN a Spirit Incentives Cruise??

I got this 4 day cruise from attending a timeshare presentation. Says for Royal Caribbean, but since RC doesn't port from Galveston, we are booked on the Ecstasy for Dec. 4.

I have read all of the negative comments on all the five billion sites out there about Spirit Incentives. So I am hoping that I can find the one or two people out there who have actually taken this cruise and can answer a couple questions for me??

Ive already taken one spirit incentives Hawaii vacation, was great, no problems. Of course its alot of hoopla, and the first 2 dates were not accepted on either Hawaii or this cruise.

My cruise is booked, paid for, I have the documents from Carnival, everything is showing up online (except room). I elected to keep the 1A guarantee room because on my last 2 cruises I got excellent upgrades. Its 33 days out and showing to be TBA on the website and my travel docs.

Is there anyone out there who won this cruise , went on carnival and took a 1A guarantee room, and did you get upgraded??

If not, how cramped is this room with 2 people in it??

Ultimately it doesn't matter if we are stuck in the bunk bed room because we are singles and don't want to share a bed! But it would be nice to hear of someone else getting a good upgrade! Especially one with a window

Thanks in advance!!

Carnival SUNSHINE ~ Feb 23, 2014 (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cozumel)
Carnival LEGEND ~ Sep 25, 2013 (Transatlantic - London to NYC)

Carnival TRIUMPH ~ Nov 29, 2012 (Cozumel)
Carnival CONQUEST ~ Aug 19, 2012 (Jamaica, Cayman Islands, Cozumel)
Norwegian SKY ~ Jan 20, 2012 (Great Stirrup Cay, Nassau Bahamas)
Carnival FREEDOM ~ Aug 13, 2011 (St Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau)
Carnival ELATION ~ August 9, 2010 (Cozumel, Calica)
Carnival GLORY ~ June 6, 2009 (Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten)
Carnival ECSTASY ~ Dec 4, 2008 (Cozumel)
Carnival VALOR ~ May 27, 2007 (Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya)
Carnival FANTASY ~ May 27, 2006 (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)

Old November 29th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just wanted to post a follow-up to my previous posting for any other cruisers who might be seeking the same answer I was.

I kept the 1A bunkbed room, declined any upgrades. This was my 3rd carnival cruise. We ended up getting bumped to E208. Empress Deck (I was on this deck my first cruise) still no window, but I am glad that we didn't pay the extra $$ they were wanting to upgrade, I am very pleased with our room assignment. We also didn't find out the room until about 25 days prior, it suddenly showed up on carnival website! (I was looking every day). So all in all.... the Spirit Incentives cruise worked for me!

Hope this helps someone in their future planning!!

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hey yeah my Husband & I got the same deal from them from the same ole place too LOL

We're also on the Dec 4th Esctasy ship... We didn't pay for any upgrades and was of course given the same 1A but some how now have a 4A whatever that means... This is our 1st cruise...

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:11 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxYummy View Post
Hey yeah my Husband & I got the same deal from them from the same ole place too LOL

We're also on the Dec 4th Esctasy ship... We didn't pay for any upgrades and was of course given the same 1A but some how now have a 4A whatever that means... This is our 1st cruise...
You did good.... two lower beds that can convert into a king size bed. Still an inside, but hey it's a cruise and you will be treated just like the folks who paid cruiseline rates vs. what you paid ! Have a BLAST !!!

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Royal Caribbean does go out of Galveston.. Only part of the year though.
Carnival Fantasy Jan 19 09
Carnival Fantasy Jan 31 08
GRAND PRINCESS - DEC 09 06
RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS-DEC 11 05

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Coolies... Thanks for the info Travelntreats
Well we're not that picky when it comes to sleeping courters, besides like you said convert to king size

Only thing we're not thrilled about is the drive from Dallas... haha maybe I should say him drive...

I can't wait 5 more days, this is our belated Honeymoon @ that

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxYummy View Post
Coolies... Thanks for the info Travelntreats
Well we're not that picky when it comes to sleeping courters, besides like you said convert to king size

Only thing we're not thrilled about is the drive from Dallas... haha maybe I should say him drive...

I can't wait 5 more days, this is our belated Honeymoon @ that
How nice... CONGRATS on finally getting to have that honeymoon, even if belated ! HAVE A GREAT CRUISE !!!

Old September 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am just starting the process with Spirit for my free cruise. I have sent in the $100 deposit and just received an e-mail from them asking to pick a destination, departure and a choice of 3 dates. Do they give you any details on the cruise choices to help you with that decision. Any suggestions as to picking the dates? We are flexible, but do not want the run-a-round. You say you did not pay for any upgrades, but did eventually get them anyway. When did they offer the cabin upgrade and was it from Carnival? Any help or suggestions in making our arrangements would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

i too am in this process ...

i gave them 3 dates and they told me i will hear within 45 days of the 1st day (which is in the beginning of july)

what do you guys think ... will i sail?
Grandeur of the Seas ~ December 2006 (Zach's 1st cruise!)
Enchantment of the Seas ~ November 2007 (The 1st annual Elkettes cruise)
Liberty of the Seas ~ November 2008 (Elkettes #2 ~ and our Liberty baby)
Navigator of the Seas ~ November 2010 (Elkettes #3 ~ baby's 1st cruise!)
Liberty of the Seas ~ December 2011 (baby's 2nd cruise!)
Liberty of the Seas ~ April 2012 (baby's 3rd cruise )

My Liberty Review ~ with lots of pics http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=884591

Our other life, timesharing ...
2007 - Killington Grand, Summer Bay, Vacation Village Berkshires
2008 - Plantation Resort, Wyndham Sea Gardens
2009 - Massanutten, Royal Islander La Plage, Marriott Beachplace Towers
2010 - Wilderness Lodge, Marriott Grande Vista, Oyster Bay Beach Resort, Divi SXM, Pelican Marina Residences, Cypress Pointe Grande Villas
2011 - Vacation Village Berkshires, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Morritt's Grande, Animal Kingdom Villas, Driftwood Beach Resort

Our gift from God is Here!

Proud member of the http://www.pinkboasociety.com/

Old February 1st, 2010, 03:54 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmlaw View Post
i too am in this process ...

i gave them 3 dates and they told me i will hear within 45 days of the 1st day (which is in the beginning of july)

what do you guys think ... will i sail?
I got a cruise (but not really free, but discounted at best) and was told I should hear probably some time in Feb. My first date picked is in May.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello!
My husband and I are going through the same thing. We have paid our deposit and are in the process of hearing back about our dates. I really hope to get one of the first two days selected, but we will see.
Does anyone know about how long it takes to find out if your date has been approved or not? I know it says they will inform us at least 45 days in advance, but that is not a lot of time for us to plan around.
So has everyone had good experiences on the actual cruise? We will be sailing out of Galveston hopefully either in May or August.
Thanks!

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am the one who originally posted this thread back in 2008 and it turned out very well for us (the Spirit Incentives cruise). I believe I started calling them about 60 days out (every few days) just to check in. I found out by phone about a week before I ever got anything in the mail. They will try to upsell you upon your booking, but we didn't... and ended up getting an upgrade. We actually had breakfast the final morning of the cruise with another couple who won the same package, and had paid to upgrade and were only a few doors down from us. So unless you are really particular about getting a window I would just hold off and cross your fingers and more than likely you will get a free upgrade.

I believe the date that they approved was my LAST of my 3 dates. I'm thinking the May would be less people than the August date, (unless its after the 23rd) so you have a good chance at getting May.

Have fun, and I have stayed on various levels of the ship and I have never had a bad experience. I'm just happy to be on a cruise!

Enjoy it!
K

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:38 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'm thinking I need to go hear a sales pitch... or two...
Carnival Ecstasy - April 2011 - Aft Balcony Cabin E255 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Triumph - November 2011 - 8D Balcony Cabin 8356 - Sisters Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2012 - Cove Balcony - Cabin 2357 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - December 2012 - Cove Balcony - Cabin 2290 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2013 - Cove Balcony 2321 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - November 2013 - Cove Balcony 2326 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2014 - Ocean Suite 7243 - Girls Cruise

...and then...

Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

We paid $100 for both to turn into a 5 day instead of a four day. Worked out great.

Old March 8th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xo101 View Post
I am the one who originally posted this thread back in 2008 and it turned out very well for us (the Spirit Incentives cruise). I believe I started calling them about 60 days out (every few days) just to check in. I found out by phone about a week before I ever got anything in the mail. They will try to upsell you upon your booking, but we didn't... and ended up getting an upgrade. We actually had breakfast the final morning of the cruise with another couple who won the same package, and had paid to upgrade and were only a few doors down from us. So unless you are really particular about getting a window I would just hold off and cross your fingers and more than likely you will get a free upgrade.

I believe the date that they approved was my LAST of my 3 dates. I'm thinking the May would be less people than the August date, (unless its after the 23rd) so you have a good chance at getting May.

Have fun, and I have stayed on various levels of the ship and I have never had a bad experience. I'm just happy to be on a cruise!

Enjoy it!
K
Thanks a million for the info. I am about to start the process with my wife. We got a free cruise and a vacation getaway from Spirit Incentives via Silver Leaf Resorts. While the ship is in port, are we required to get a hotel while the ship is docked? Are there any hidden fees and the like? Thanks for your help in advance.

Also, do I have to have a credit card? What about a debit card? And what are the chances we can extend our cruise a day? Thanks.

Skillz

Last edited by madskillz; March 8th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old March 9th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank You!

I have been looking for someone who has actually taken the "free" cruise offered by Silver Leaf Resort. It's good to know that the trip does actually exist. I'm going on Sunday to the presentation...just to get the cruise.

What restrictions on travel dates do they give you? Any chance we'd be able to travel during the summer?

I've read that you have to pay some fees beyond the $100 deposit. How much were the fees?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions/advice.

Old March 9th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXgirl View Post
I have been looking for someone who has actually taken the "free" cruise offered by Silver Leaf Resort. It's good to know that the trip does actually exist. I'm going on Sunday to the presentation...just to get the cruise.

What restrictions on travel dates do they give you? Any chance we'd be able to travel during the summer?

I've read that you have to pay some fees beyond the $100 deposit. How much were the fees?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions/advice.
A word of advice - they will wear you down mentally - expect a 3-hour wait max and then they'll show you all of the wonderful niceties and properties on-site. Then, they'll hit you with 3 different folks - and try to get you to sign up for their program. You get a 3rd trip if you sign up with them too. We got the cruise, the 5-day vacation getaway to Aruba, Jamaica, Puerto Rico and Hawaii (our choice) and a severe headache.

Bring a book or a PDA cell phone to pass the time.

Old March 10th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spirit Incentives legit.

Our very first Carnival cruise was the result of a gift for attending a timeshare presentation with RCI in Indy. It was with Spirit Incentives. It is legit, but you must jump through every hoop they give you in the fine print. Not difficult, but stressful, especially if you are wondering all along if it is a scam or how they are going to rip you off. (I know I did). The final of our 3 dates were approved and we were notified well in advance. We declined the upgrade and there were no hidden charges. We were on the Sensation in 2003. We were pleasantly surprised with an ocean view cabin upon embarkation. As I had only been on RCCL 3 times prior, I was floored with how large the cabin was in comparison. We had a great time! We have never been back to RCCL.

The presentation was every bit of 3 hours, but we practiced ahead of time, "No. . .now give me my free cruise" over and over on the way there. They did wear us down mentally to the point of us almost breaking and running out of the place, but we held firm and were rewarded. They seem to get really angry at you at the end as a final pressure tactic.

As an aside, did a timeshare presentation in Cozumel, Mx during our Freedom cruise, as we wanted the free resort day in return. My DH's first language is Polish. We decided that he would only speak Polish in an attempt to shorten the presentation-I would defer to him as the decision maker. Well I'll be dipped if they didn't pull a 20 something Polish man out of there *%# to give DH the presentation in Polish. You have got to be kidding me?! In Mexico! They are good. . .very good!

Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers
Sailed RCI Empress of the Seas x2; X Mercury; Carnival Sensation, Freedom, Valor, Miracle; NCL Epic, Sky, Sun x2, Pearl; MSC Divina

Old March 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXgirl View Post
Any chance we'd be able to travel during the summer?
Our Sensation Cruise was a 5 night to Cozumel and Grand Cayman on 6/14/2003.

Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers Cruise Countdown Tickers
Sailed RCI Empress of the Seas x2; X Mercury; Carnival Sensation, Freedom, Valor, Miracle; NCL Epic, Sky, Sun x2, Pearl; MSC Divina

Old March 10th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

@ Mrs. Squirrel - can you tell me if my wife and I have to leave the ship at night or can we stay aboard the ship at night? I've heard stories from people that they had to disembark and pay for nights in a hotel.

We started the process and need to know how much extra we need to bring.

Also, have you done any other Spirit Incentive programs? We got a 5-day vacation getaway, but we have to pay for airfare and meals. Thanks!