Upgrades after embarking??

Im getting nervous about the tiny J inside stateroom on the Zuiderdam navigation deck that I booked for my husband and I.

If its INSANELY too small, can i upgrade once I am on the ship? How does this work?

Will it be much more expensive to wait and do it then?

Is it smarter/cheaper to just upgrade now??

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If the ship is sold out, you will not be able to upgrade at any price. (Although you might be able to get on a wait list for if someone cancels at the last minute.) If it isn't sold out, the remaining cabins will go for full rack rate. If you are thinking about moving up, better call your TA ASAP and have them get to work on it.

:)

If you don't think you are going to like your "j" cabin and want to upgrade, do it very soon.

A lot of HAL ships are sold out before the cruises begin. Sometimes there will be notices on the terminal doors that a particular cruise is sold out. Other times, there is note on the front desk on the ship.

If you are reasonably sure you are not going to be happy with the cabin you have booked, you should upgrade now. You will almost always get a better price by upgrading prior to boarding and seeing as many ships are going out fully booked, you may have no choice but to stay in a cabin you do not think you will be happy in.

I had a cabin once on a ship that was 114 sq feet. After that experience everything seems larger. If you booked J hoping for an upgrade then you may want to change cabins before sailing. If not and you are one that uses the cabin just for the purpose of sleeping, showering and changing clothes.. then you should be ok. A couple more feet isn't going to make a difference other than maybe a bigger couch as far as size (Unless you go to a suite). If you feel uneasy about an inside - that's another story. I'd switch to a window one as it should make you feel less "crammed in".

You can visit an online cruise booking site and go through the process as if you were purchasing a cruise. It will show you which cabins are available. Make a selection of a category and the next screen should show you which cabins are available. The fewer to select from, the fuller the ship is.

You can visit an online cruise booking site and go through the process as if you were purchasing a cruise. It will show you which cabins are available. Make a selection of a category and the next screen should show you which cabins are available. The fewer to select from, the fuller the ship is.
The only problem is that most online TAs show a maximum of 11 rooms a category. So if you see 11 rooms you don't know whether there are exactly 11 left, or possibly every room in the category.

If you book through HAL you can select a specific cabin and it will either allow you to reserve it or tell you it's not available. But that would be extremely tedious.

Why not just call HAL and act as though you are going to book a specific cabin? Have in mind what type of cabin you might like to upgrade to and then ask the HAL rep if there are any cabins left in that category. You don't jave to commit yourself to the HAL rep. If there is and you're still interested, call your TA and if the price is right, upgrade.

Not sure "smarter and cheaper" really come into play with your situation. Smarter is probably to call your TA and arrange an upgrade right now. There's absolutely no guarantee that there are going to be any cabins available to upgrade to once you've gotten on the ship. Cheaper really doesn't come into play at all then because no amount of money can buy something that doesn't exist. If you're really as unsure about your cabin as you seem then call your TA right now and see what you can work out. Sounds like you're running a significant risk of being unhappy with your cabin and fretting for much, if not all, of the cruise about what you could have, might have, should have done today.:)

I have yet to sail on a HAL ship that was booked full at time of sailing. Take the advice of everyone and book the category you will be happy with NOW. Chances are very good that it won't be available at the last minute or at the pier.

Happy Sailing!

Archived