Cancelling one person on Cruise that leaves in 2 weeks

kbh2

So if one person in a 2 person cabin cancels less than 2 weeks from sailing what are the options? Does that person loose their money and can one person sail in that room alone? Need quick advice.

So if one person in a 2 person cabin cancels less than 2 weeks from sailing what are the options? Does that person loose their money and can one person sail in that room alone? Need quick advice.

Did you get travel insurance?? It sounds like the booking is in full penalty and she will loose everything except for her taxes and fees. Is the one person left a minor?? If not, it won't be a problem.

If the person who can't go has insurance and the reason for not going is covered, then that person should call Carnival and cancel, and initiate an insurance claim. If that's not the case, it would be better for the person to be a no-show. Don't notify Carnival ahead of time and have them just not show up. Their taxes will be refunded and the other person will remain in the cabin.

What if a minor is traveling to the port with their relatives (not a parent) and the parent is meeting them there and the parent ends up missing the ship. Is there anyway for the minor to go ahead and travel with the rest of the family. The minor is booked in the room with the parent that doesn't make it. The family will have a notarized statement authorizing the minor to travel with them. Just trying to plan for any contengencies.

Im available :D

What if a minor is traveling to the port with their relatives (not a parent) and the parent is meeting them there and the parent ends up missing the ship. Is there anyway for the minor to go ahead and travel with the rest of the family. The minor is booked in the room with the parent that doesn't make it. The family will have a notarized statement authorizing the minor to travel with them. Just trying to plan for any contengencies.

The minor would be able to travel with the rest of the family with the notarized statement signed by both parents. Depending on the age of the minor, he/she may not be allwed to occupy the cabin alone. I don't know the age limits, and there are some conditions about how close the cabin has to be to the family. Best to call Carnival to find out the details.

From what I have read it is best for the person to be a no-show. If they call and cancel, even though they won't get their money back, the person that is sailing alone will be charged the solo supplement. I don't know how this works if the person cancelling has insurance. I have no experience with this, but this is what I have read on the boards.

I did this about 2 years ago. Someone couldn't travel due to a death in the family. We didn't have trip insurance (but the trip was pretty cheap), and we just showed up at the port and didn't check her in. We did get a refund of taxes and port fees after the cruise was over.

Delawarealan

A single passenger pays a supplement...that's the truth of the matter. If the second person can't go the lone sailor would still have to pay the fare for two. Though a cruise line will let you "change" the second person without penalty (or I guess a $50 fee if you booked early saver). And this is standard industry wide.

A single passenger pays a supplement...that's the truth of the matter. If the second person can't go the lone sailor would still have to pay the fare for two. Though a cruise line will let you "change" the second person without penalty (or I guess a $50 fee if you booked early saver). And this is standard industry wide.

Is this another of Carnivals new rules under early saver that they are letting you change a person for $50? Used to be with early saver there were no name changes.:confused:

As you can see from others that have posted above there is no single supplement if the person not going is simply a no show.:)

Bill

If the minor is under 12, cannot be in a balcony, has to be next door or across the hall from parent/guardians

If or over, can be in a balcony

If 14 or above, (may be 12, not sure) can be within 3 staterooms of guardian

And yes, a single person will pay supplement, I am booked with 2 kids in 2 rooms, and the booking shows me alone (with supplement) and kids directly across the hall

If you notify Carnival in advance that one person is not going, the remaining passenger in that cabin will be charged a single supplement which is often 150% of the fare. In that situation in the past, I did not notify Carnival in advance of the other person not going and they were just a no-show in which case I did not have to pay the single supplement.

So unless the passenger who is not going purchased insurance, and assuming the passenger going meets Carnival's age requirements, do nothing and just let them be a no-show at the port on embarkation day and the passenger who does go will have the cabin to himself.

Carnival will not issue a refund or credit at this late date so that does not factor into the equation.

Edited by winddawn

Thank you all for your answers I think both of them will still be going as of now. It was a breakup situation with my daughter and boyfriend. They are going to go as friends and enjoy anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your answers I think both of them will still be going as of now. It was a breakup situation with my daughter and boyfriend. They are going to go as friends and enjoy anyway...

Oops

This has the potential to get "messy" :eek:

I don't see how they can charge the one person remaining in the room the solo supplement. They are still getting the money from the other passenger who canceled last minute, assuming they did not have insurance. So how can they keep that money and turn around and charge the other person double, or whatever it is? That is like charging twice!

I could see them doing this if the person had insurance and got their money back, however.

Edited by BigB0882

I don't see how they can charge the one person remaining in the room the solo supplement. They are still getting the money from the other passenger who canceled last minute, assuming they did not have insurance. So how can they keep that money and turn around and charge the other person double, or whatever it is? That is like charging twice!

I could see them doing this if the person had insurance and got their money back, however.

they can and will, because they can. they would probably say something along the lines of 'passenger 2 cancelled and was within full penalty and thereby forfeited their cruise fare per the terms of the contract' and 'passenger 1 is booked solo in a room for which the pricing is based on double occupancy, and thereby must satisfy that term of the contract and financial obligation'. granted saying those two things together is kind of sleazy in my opinion, but they'd probably say something along the lines of x does not relate to y - and both are terms of the contract.

that's why it's best to just no-show in that type of situation, for the benefit of passenger 1. even if passenger 2 has insurance that would reimburse their losses, whether or not it is 'right' or 'fair' to passenger 1 is i suppose a nature of their relationship and agreement. if pax 2 did claim against the insurance and reimburse pax 1 then at least it would be equitable, but it's easier to just no-show.

i don't think it's any more fair in the case of insurance reimbursements - as those are often paid by an outside third party. if the pax cancels with carnival and they impose their penalties, it's none of carnival's business what the pax recovers from insurance or loses due to lack thereof. if the penalty entails loss of 100% of the cruise fare, and the room is paid for in full and there is no equitable loss to carnival - i think they should pass on charging twice as you stated, in re: to the remaining pax - just as how it works when there is a no-show. in essence, you are penalized for being up front with them and cancelling pax 2 in advance, and they make a money grab. it's just a kind of sleazy practice however you look at it :)

Is this another of Carnivals new rules under early saver that they are letting you change a person for $50? Used to be with early saver there were no name changes.:confused:

As you can see from others that have posted above there is no single supplement if the person not going is simply a no show.:)

Bill

No name changed with Early Saver. $50 for other fares. Can do it up to a few days before sail away.

With Early Saver there is no name change allowed. The best way to avoid any further charges when you are so close to sailing is to just show up, check in and say the other paying person is coming. Then they just don't show up. They would lose their fare either way but the person still in the cabin will be able to remain in the cabin and will incur no extra charges.

This happened to me last yr. I just checked in and said my friend was coming later. I paid nothing extra when she didn't show up.

Edited by LSUcajunmom

With Early Saver there is no name change allowed. The best way to avoid any further charges when you are so close to sailing is to just show up, check in and say the other paying person is coming. Then they just don't show up. They would lose their fare either way but the person still in the cabin will be able to remain in the cabin and will incur no extra charges.

This happened to me last yr. I just checked in and said my friend was coming later. I paid nothing extra when she didn't show up.

That's why I asked if it was a new rule since I've never heard of a name change with ES. :)

Thanks for the info.

Bill

If both individuals have insurance through the same carrier and one has to cancel for a covered reason, the insurance company will reimburse the one who can't sail, and also pay the solo supplement for the one who is traveling. I have had this happen. I had to cancel. In order to be reimbursed by insurance, I had to officially cancel with Carnival. My cabinmate was charged the solo supplement by Carnival, and the insurance company reimbursed her. That's why two people traveling together should insure through the same carrrier.