Are cruise ships going to be limited????

Kween Karen

I am trying to find out if it is indeed FACT that after 2011 larger cruise ships are going to be banned from cruising in Antarctica. The only information I can find as FACT is that cruise ships larger than 500 cannot LAND passengers.

I want to go on a cruise (HAL Grand Voyage...South America and Antarctica)) but 2011 does not work for me. I am hoping they will continue after that.

Previously, there was a rule that said the number of passengers to descend on the ground will not be able to pass 100, and every minute they are on the peninsula a guide is required for every 20 people.

Last month the IMO passed another restriction:

from USA Today

Beginning in August 2011, most large cruise ships will no longer be able to sail in Antarctica.

The International Maritime Organization this week adopted a ban on using and carrying heavy fuel oil on ships operating in Antarctic waters.

The regulation essentially bans cruise ships with more than 500 passengers from sailing in Antarctica, because even though they would agree to use lighter fuels there, the ban on carriage would prove too costly for those vessels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys!

Cruise Critic has spoken with several of the cruise lines that will be affected by the fuel ban. Here's the latest info:http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3828.

Hope you find it helpful!

Shayne

Thanks for the information. We booked the Prinsendam for January 2011 awhile back because we heard about the new guidelines for fuel.

After seeing the ecological damage that oil spills cause, I am glad to see lighter fuel being required and I am happy to see that some cruise lines will comply with the new guidelines. ;)

Archived