Dec. 1, 2007 Carnival Ecstasy -- Any Birders?

agru

I'm taking this cruise with my girlfriend (a non-birder). We've agreed on a trip to Uxmal during our stop in Progreso. I figure I'll bird while touring -- not the best option, but it's an acceptable compromise.

However, for our stop in Cozumel there's no tours that look to be birder friendly. I'd LOVE to have my girlfriend do something she would enjoy while I strike out with a fellow birder or two to explore the island.

So, are there ANY birders on this particular cruise? If not, does anyone have a suggestion as to the best excursion option for birding on Isla Cozumel? (I don't think my friend will want to rent a car and drive around the island, stopping every so often to stand there and look for birds in the greenery!)

Thanks!

I've checked most of my usual sources, including birdingpal.org (there are a couple of people in the Progreso area, none on Cozumel).

It seems most of the birders/guides in that area are on the mainland.

I'm currently contemplating the Jungle Hiking excursion through Carnival. I'm just not sure if an organized group gives enough time to really look for some of the more elusive species.

Of course, this is a "fun" trip and not a birding specific trip -- so I'll deal if I have to. I'm sure I'll see some, no matter what I/we choose to do.

But, if another birder turns up.......

Thanks!

Archived