Nova Virus on Pride of America

Lazy Flamingo

We are very concerned to hear about the outbreak on the ship. There seem to be a lot of bad food reviews . If this virus is so bad to we have any chance of cancelling and getting our money back? Is there anyone else who has been on the last couple of trips who is more positive that the other reviews?

You can always cancel a cruise, but if you are close to your sailing date, you're going to lose money. Noro on a ship is not a covered reason to cancel in terms of the cruise line. Did you purchase travel insurance, that has a cancel for any reason coverage? If you did, you might be able to cancel and get some of your money back.

As for the food, reviews on that are always subjective, but let me say that most feel that good food is not a strength on any NCL ship.

We are very concerned to hear about the outbreak on the ship. There seem to be a lot of bad food reviews . If this virus is so bad to we have any chance of cancelling and getting our money back? Is there anyone else who has been on the last couple of trips who is more positive that the other reviews?

Where did you read of a recent outbreak? I have not seen any mention of this on the NCL forum.

We read about it on Cruise Critic a few hours ago but going back to look now for the link it has been removed. This is probably more concerning??

Removal may have been because someone said something they shouldn't - not because anyone was trying to hide something about an outbreak of Noro.

I wouldn't cancel a cruise because of something like a possible Noro problem. Just wash your hands, etc. and be careful about what you touch. You can get Noro anywhere - school, work, the supermarket. The risk is there unless you never leave your house.

We have been on 25 + cruises and probably about 1/4 of those cruises there has been some sort of norovirus. I have never gotten sick yet and all you can do is wash your hands, keep your hands out of your mouth and use the hand sanitizer.

I would not cancel the cruise at all. They will deep clean the ship before you get on.

The food is better on NCL in the Specialty Restaurants so you can always eat there. We have been on 5 NCL cruises and that is where we started out with out cruises many years ago and since I did not know better I thought the food was awesome. Since I have been on Costa which was the worst ever we then went to Carnival and then thought that food was better. After 5 cruises with them they went downhill for us and now we like Celebrity the best. Royal Caribbean is also to on our list. Like everyone says, food is subjective.

Happy Sailing:):):)

There is Noro virus on most every ship, every cruise.

We only hear about it when the percentage of crew/guests reaches a certain level that requires reporting to CDC.

Use good hygiene as a habit in your everyday life and, of course, keeping yourself clean will carry over to your time aboard the ship.

There is no mention of a reportable incident of norovirus on that ship per the CDC website. I certainly wouldn't worry about it. I've been on 31 cruises and have never been on a ship that had a reportable outbreak and never had it myself.

In the grand scheme of things it's quite rare.

Here is a link to the CDC website. These statistics are updated in near real time.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2014

I would never cancel a cruise because I heard there was a Noro outbreak. If there were an problem, the cruise ship would go into scrub mode and everything on the ship would be wiped down.

As others have said, Noro can be anywhere. You have probably had it yourself several times in your life and did not even know that is what it was.

I too looked at the CDC website and there is no listing for POA having an outbreak

Probably experience some form of a gastro intestinal outbreak of some form. Although common not all are the dreaded Noro virus by far. If you look at the CDC web site more outbreaks are listed as unknown or something else than confirmed Noro virus. You only hear officially about the ones that effect 2% or more of the passengers or crew as that is the legal reporting level.

If you let the possibility of catching something like this scare you off of crusing then you should probably not fly, stay out of malls, avoid public transit, keep your children home from school, not go to your place of employment, never ever visit a hospital and hunker down in your home forever. I don't want to sound mean but you live with these viruses every day in everything that you normally do.

I have been on cruises where there have been outbreaks of something and never gotten sick myself. Just take good precautions and your chances of becoming ill will be minimized.

Edited by Gunner22aa

We read about it on Cruise Critic a few hours ago but going back to look now for the link it has been removed. This is probably more concerning??

As others have suggested, don't cancel your cruise! Just take precautions. Wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face with your hands.

You do know that the chances of you getting NORO virus is greater in a hotel, restaurant, gym, school, etc. than on any cruise? It is people like you that bring the virus on to cruise ship.