Which of these three hotels to choose in Vancouver?

I believe I have narrowed down my choices for three nights post cruise in August.

St. Regis Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel

Delta Vancouver Suites

Prices are similar enough not to make too much difference. I think we will want to experience Stanley Park and Granville Island and possibly Chinatown and Gaslight areas.

I can't quite figure out which would be best as far as visiting these places and getting to hotel from port after cruise.

St. Regis has the best rating on TripAdvisor, but that's not always everything....

Looking for opinions from people who have stayed at these hotels or locals who can assist.

Thanks!

I believe I have narrowed down my choices for three nights post cruise in August.

St. Regis Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel

Delta Vancouver Suites

Prices are similar enough not to make too much difference. I think we will want to experience Stanley Park and Granville Island and possibly Chinatown and Gaslight areas.

I can't quite figure out which would be best as far as visiting these places and getting to hotel from port after cruise.

St. Regis has the best rating on TripAdvisor, but that's not always everything....

Looking for opinions from people who have stayed at these hotels or locals who can assist.

Thanks!

Can't comment on rooms, never stayed in any of these, but locationally-speaking I'd give the edge to Delta - it's not just walking distance to the pier, it's EASY walking distance even trundling suitcases (less than five blocks)! Plus, closest to Gastown (right on the edge of it), Chinatown which are the spots you're likely to walk to - Granville Island and Stanley Park are far enough from all three hotels most folks will be taking taxi or transit.

None of them are bad bets though - although some other locals warn against St Reg because they don't like the scruffiness of the immediately-surrounding blocks, it's not at all as bad as it's rep (there used to be an SRO on the next block, whose inhabitants are on about the lowest socioeconomic rung but it closed a couple of years ago - biggest issue these days is noise from construction in the area IMO, which is frankly something it's hard to avoid anywhere downtown!)

My vote goes to the Delta.... closest to the port and bigger rooms.

Metropolitan is my second choice.

St. Regis third.

My vote is based on the neighborhood, traffic noise and amenities.

St. Regis Hotel

Metropolitan Hotel

Delta Vancouver Suites

Thanks!

Over the years I have been in rooms in all of them. For me it would be a toss up between the Metropolitan and the Delta. However if forced to choose I would likely go with the Delta if only for its location and room size. I used to have colleagues who stayed there regularly and thought very highly of it.

Thanks for your replies. I had been leaning towards the Regis because of the amenities but area is important to me and something I would not have otherwise known.

I have found something else which maybe someone knows (or not).

I see on Priceline there is a 5 star hotel express deal for $207 with a 8/10 rating. Down from $357. There is no matching item on the regular price list. States amenities of non-smoking, pets allowed, pool, business center, free internet, restaurant and fitness center. Area given is downtown--Coal Harbor, Stanley Park, Convention area. Wondering if anyone has a clue what it might be. There is a 4.5 star Express Deal in same area with same amenities. This seems to match the regular listing for the Hyatt Regency (of course no way of knowing). Maybe someone here knows if that hotel regularly comes up on Priceline?

Thanks for your replies. I had been leaning towards the Regis because of the amenities but area is important to me and something I would not have otherwise known.

I have found something else which maybe someone knows (or not).

I see on Priceline there is a 5 star hotel express deal for $207 with a 8/10 rating. Down from $357. There is no matching item on the regular price list. States amenities of non-smoking, pets allowed, pool, business center, free internet, restaurant and fitness center. Area given is downtown--Coal Harbor, Stanley Park, Convention area. Wondering if anyone has a clue what it might be. There is a 4.5 star Express Deal in same area with same amenities. This seems to match the regular listing for the Hyatt Regency (of course no way of knowing). Maybe someone here knows if that hotel regularly comes up on Priceline?

Locationally there is not a lot to choose from between the S.R. and the Delta but the property is superior.

I have looking on Booking.com and Hotwire but don't have a clue as what hotel Priceline has. However, I have reservations about it being a real 5* as true 5*s tend to be north of $500. I happen love the Hyatt Regeny but I would place it at 4* .... so much for ratings. Just a SWAG would be that in might be the Westin Bayshore. However, anything that is in the low $200 range in that area is likely to be a good bet....personally I would go for it.

Edited by Putterdude

Locationally there is not a lot to choose from between the S.R. and the Delta but the property is superior.

I have looking on Booking.com and Hotwire but don't have a clue as what hotel Priceline has. However, I have reservations about it being a real 5* as true 5*s tend to be north of $500. I happen love the Hyatt Regeny but I would place it at 4* .... so much for ratings. Just a SWAG would be that in might be the Westin Bayshore. However, anything that is in the low $200 range in that area is likely to be a good bet....personally I would go for it.

I appreciate you looking. Not sure what SWAG represents---sorry unfamiliar with that acronym. Thanks.

Edited by cpl100
spelling

We hadn't realized that in addition to the anonymous-until-you-pay hotels, Priceline also has listings like Hotels.com, etc., with presumably discounted rates for named hotels.

We discovered this recently, but the rates weren't super cheap, but they were less than anything else we could find for the Pacific Rim.

We called the hotel to ask if they would match the price, only because we felt we'd trust the reservation more that way.

Much to our surprise, the hotel rep switched us to a special department for these requests, and the policy is to match the price AND then deduct another 10% for booking directly with them.

We took it!

We got a known hotel (where we've stayed before for conferences), the exact category room we wanted, and the best rate we could find with assurances about precisely which hotel we'd have.

Using Priceline the regular way, we also wouldn't have totally trusted the "star rating".

In the past, we've had some success by email with overseas hotels matching their *own* lower "online" price (and honoring the lowest nightly rate for the entire stay), but we hadn't known about this 10% discount as a policy* anywhere.

Now we'll always ask ;)

* At least in this case, the hotel rep needed to be able to go online to the website we claimed showed the rate and "see it" for himself. Fair enough.

We hadn't realized that in addition to the anonymous-until-you-pay hotels, Priceline also has listings like Hotels.com, etc., with presumably discounted rates for named hotels.

We discovered this recently, but the rates weren't super cheap, but they were less than anything else we could find for the Pacific Rim.

We called the hotel to ask if they would match the price, only because we felt we'd trust the reservation more that way.

Much to our surprise, the hotel rep switched us to a special department for these requests, and the policy is to match the price AND then deduct another 10% for booking directly with them.

We took it!

We got a known hotel (where we've stayed before for conferences), the exact category room we wanted, and the best rate we could find with assurances about precisely which hotel we'd have.

Using Priceline the regular way, we also wouldn't have totally trusted the "star rating".

In the past, we've had some success by email with overseas hotels matching their *own* lower "online" price (and honoring the lowest nightly rate for the entire stay), but we hadn't known about this 10% discount as a policy* anywhere.

Now we'll always ask ;)

* At least in this case, the hotel rep needed to be able to go online to the website we claimed showed the rate and "see it" for himself. Fair enough.

I have never done this with Fairmont Hotels but have with other hotel chains, they stutter and stammer but they do match rate....but I confess I have never got the 10% discount, so that is very good information. I am also guessing that you know that Priceline owns Booking.com which I have found tremendously useful for booking in cities I am not familiar with. I have a slightly different challenge in the sense that Dudette travels in a wheelchair so we need an accessible room, so in the end I need to speaking with the hotel to ensure that we get one.

I have never done this with Fairmont Hotels but have with other hotel chains, they stutter and stammer but they do match rate....but I confess I have never got the 10% discount, so that is very good information. I am also guessing that you know that Priceline owns Booking.com which I have found tremendously useful for booking in cities I am not familiar with. I have a slightly different challenge in the sense that Dudette travels in a wheelchair so we need an accessible room, so in the end I need to speaking with the hotel to ensure that we get one.

One other perk of this booking, though I doubt it's a regular occurrence (but who knows?) is that the online price was "non-refundable". That was okay, and that was confirmed verbally by the phone rep.

However, when our emailed confirmation arrived, there was a cancellation deadline (something like 48 hours, but I'd need to double check).

This thread caused me to go back and check the Priceline rates again... but there is no more availability in the room category we want/have.

No complaints.

One other online trick we've found is to book each night separately (even if a hotel won't honor the lowest rate for the entire stay).

We started noticing that booking 2 or 3 nights (or more) *almost always* was a higher nightly rate than the average booking separately.

It was when we emailed a hotel in Milano about linking the confirmed different nights (this was using their own online rate, not a different website) that the hotel kindly offered the lowest rate for all nights :)

From now on, we'll at least gently ask about this.

AND we'll try Priceline more.

Putterdude, after reading your response I looked at Hotwire (don't usually go there). They have a listing for an area called 'Downtown shopping district, Davie village'. Haven't seen that term. Do you know where that is? It mentioned spa services so I thought it might be the Wedgewood. But it also mentions self service laundry and I don't see that mentioned on the Wedgewood website. 4 1/2 stars which is what Priceline lists the Wedgewood.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Did a little more research on Hotwire (just feeling my way around their website) and it seems something called Sutton Place is also a possibility.

Edited by cpl100

Geezercouple, I had no idea about that.

Do I have this correct: you saw the hotel you wanted on booking.com or hotels.com and called the hotel directly for a price match?

Thanks for sharing!

Geezercouple, I had no idea about that.

Do I have this correct: you saw the hotel you wanted on booking.com or hotels.com and called the hotel directly for a price match?

Thanks for sharing!

Yup, and got an additional 10% knocked off :D

It was actually on Priceline, but an area of Priceline we didn't previously know existed, where you see the hotel and the rate, just like on hotels.com, etc.

[We aren't willing to gamble on "which hotel" with the blinded version of Priceline, or not yet anyway.]

We stumbled upon that using Google for starters, and Priceline was slightly lower than anything else we saw.

So I figured I'd call, given we'd had a good experience overseas by email, although as mentioned, that was a bit different.

Note that I didn't expect much, because not too many years ago, I tried to do that with another hotel (also a Fairmont, so either their policy is new OR the other hotel didn't do it/know about it??), and they weren't interested in discussing it.

But for some reason, I gave it a try.

(A general personal policy is that if one doesn't ask, the "answer" usually defaults to a "no".)

We actually only wanted to try to book directly with the hotel but at the *same* price. What a nice surprise!

And when the confirmation came in by email, the "non-refundable" rate was refundable. We probably won't use that, but it was still a nice surprise.

Good hotel - I can see that being in the Downtown Shopping District as it sits atop the Pacific Center mall and the adjacent Vancouver Center Mall but why they would put the Davie Village in the same category when it is a good seven or eight blocks away is interesting.

Cheers!

Dennis

Putterdude, after reading your response I looked at Hotwire (don't usually go there). They have a listing for an area called 'Downtown shopping district, Davie village'. Haven't seen that term. Do you know where that is? It mentioned spa services so I thought it might be the Wedgewood. But it also mentions self service laundry and I don't see that mentioned on the Wedgewood website. 4 1/2 stars which is what Priceline lists the Wedgewood.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Did a little more research on Hotwire (just feeling my way around their website) and it seems something called Sutton Place is also a possibility.

The challenge is that they are always tinkering with the maps, I suspect to keep us off guard. and frankly I didn't notice it the other day because I was scoping the "Downtown--Coal Harbor, Stanley Park, Convention area". My first reaction was that it was the Sutton Place as well but it is out of the aforementioned zone and I dismissed it.

I booked the Priceline deal and it turned out to be The Four Seasons.

Posting in case it helps anyone in the future.

The Four Seasons at slightly over $200 is a heck of deal, I not sure that I would put it as high as 5*, however it is still and great deal....a lot of folks will be envious of that.

You forgot to mention the BC Liquor Store across the street.:) Seriously,Delta is a very good operator and that property is an excellent hotel for cruisers. It's at the gate to Gastown, the Vancouver Lookout is across the street, and Waterfront Station and Canada Place are vert walkable.

Work puts me up at the Delta Suites several times a month. This is an excellent hotel. Marriott is great as well. I have also stayed at the Metropolitan a few times over the years and it is very nice as well. I would never stay at the St Regis no matter who paid for it! Never!!

You forgot to mention the BC Liquor Store across the street.:) Seriously,Delta is a very good operator and that property is an excellent hotel for cruisers. It's at the gate to Gastown, the Vancouver Lookout is across the street, and Waterfront Station and Canada Place are vert walkable.

The liquor store is across from Delta? Also looking for a hotel in Vancouver pre cruise.

The liquor store is across from Delta? Also looking for a hotel in Vancouver pre cruise.
yep... the building across the street has a liquor store. However it's on the otherside.... so you need to walk around the block.

Note... this public liquor store has limited hours with limited selection. Check the hours of operation to avoid dissappointment.

Edited by xlxo