Oceania "free" airfare from Savannah

Harbour20

We are new to Oceania and will be flying from Savannah. Has anyone left from Savannah with their "free" airfare to a European city? We are going to Barcelona and returning from Rome. We welcome any advice about choosing their flights or is it best to get our own. Savannah is one of their listed cities to fly from.

Savannah uses Delta and US Air/American pretty much exclusively.

I have read through these threads and seem to understand that their "free" fare is only offered to fly you in on day of embarking and back on day of disembarkment, is that correct?

Free airfare is flying in the day of the cruise and leaving on the end date. If you want to arrive early &/or leave later that is called a "deviation". When you request a deviation, Oceania will give you flight choices, once you accept there is a fee, due at the time of acceptance.

You can request specific flights, but those may involve additional costs.

We have been happy with O's choices usually, but you must do your own research.

"I have read through these threads and seem to understand that their "free" fare is only offered to fly you in on day of embarking and back on day of disembarkment, is that correct?"

If you want to travel on different days the "free" still applies plus an air deviation fee.

Edited by Noxequifans

We are flying out of Savannah the end of October using the "FREE" airfare (which it's not really free) to Rome and flying back from Lisbon. Had we not taken the free air, we would have received an $850 credit pp. We took the standard flight on Delta out the day before which arrives first thing the morning of embarkation. Going through ATL.

Because we're adding two days extra in Lisbon, we took the air deviation for $175pp extra. It was charged immediately to my credit card but we also got to select our seat immediately instead of waiting. We're booked on United for the return going through EWR. Thus it probably depends upon your embarkation and debarkation cities that determine the airlines selected.

Bottom line was it was still cheaper than booking directly for us and cheaper than flying out of Charleston which would have added another $150pp for the non-gateway city.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We are flying out of Savannah the end of October using the "FREE" airfare (which it's not really free) to Rome and flying back from Lisbon. Had we not taken the free air, we would have received an $850 credit pp. We took the standard flight on Delta out the day before which arrives first thing the morning of embarkation. Going through ATL.

Because we're adding two days extra in Lisbon, we took the air deviation for $175pp extra. It was charged immediately to my credit card but we also got to select our seat immediately instead of waiting. We're booked on United for the return going through EWR. Thus it probably depends upon your embarkation and debarkation cities that determine the airlines selected.

Bottom line was it was still cheaper than booking directly for us and cheaper than flying out of Charleston which would have added another $150pp for the non-gateway city.

I have looked at flights on my own and leaving Savannah to Barcelona it is either Delta or US Air, the differences are the connections. US Air has one stop and Delta two and long connections. I just don't know which Oceania will use. I would probably do the deviation to add on days. I can't imagine flying in on the same day the ship leaves, I would be exhausted.

I have looked at flights on my own and leaving Savannah to Barcelona it is either Delta or US Air, the differences are the connections. US Air has one stop and Delta two and long connections. I just don't know which Oceania will use. I would probably do the deviation to add on days. I can't imagine flying in on the same day the ship leaves, I would be exhausted.

Since our plane is scheduled to land at 6:45am, we booked a short transfer at 7:15 to downtown Rome in a Mercedes. Then they take us on a three hour driving tour of Rome and we get dropped off at noon at a hotel where another couple on our roll call will have been staying. We transfer to a van with the same company and take the hour transfer to the embarkation.

The other couple is sharing the cost of the final leg. My DW would not want to be in Rome without at least taking a tour since we're getting there so early.

Hope your arrangements work out.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Then it seems as if the Oceania "Air Deviation" System will work for you seamlessly, because you will be buying into it anyway in order to add extra time pre-cruise, and that will automatically allow you to choose the flights and connections which you prefer.

I think that if you ask for a deviation, you don't have to pay the fee until and unless you accept Oceania's proposal which may also include an add-on. You can reject multiple times, and keep suggesting alternatives.

The good part is if you don't like any of the options, you don't pay the fee and go back to waiting to see what they eventually give you for a "free" flight plan.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you wait to see their included free flight plan, it might be too late to find better alternatives.

What I am not sure of is exactly when they tell you their free plan. We took the credit once and did an air deviation once; haven't used their free plan.

He's correct that you aren't charged air deviation until you accept specific flights.

Although I believe you'll find the availability limited depending upon your airport and other end airport. As I understand it, if you don't like what you're offered and find other flights elsewhere that you ask air deviation for, you will pay the difference between the cruise line's contracted price on certain flights and the flight you desire which isn't on the contract. So it's only another up-charge in addition to the "air deviation" charge.

At that point, I believe it may be cheaper to book your own flight and take the free air credit. That seems to be what I've been able to garner from reading and discussions. However I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yeah Steve, you are "kind of" wrong.

First of all, you cannot presuppose that a flight that a passenger may prefer will necessarily be more expensive than the original Oceania suggested route, so an up-charge would have to be considered a "May be" at best.

Secondly, the Air Credits vary based on the geographic locations of the both the Customer AND the Cruise, so even if you and I were on the same voyage and discussing this over a drink in Martini's, Oceania Air might not have worked for me in New York, but could have been a great bargain for you out of Charleston.

It's always best to price the air both ways.

First of all, you cannot presuppose that a flight that a passenger may prefer will necessarily be more expensive than the original Oceania suggested route, so an up-charge would have to be considered a "May be" at best.

Secondly, the Air Credits vary based on the geographic locations of the both the Customer AND the Cruise, so even if you and I were on the same voyage and discussing this over a drink in Martini's, Oceania Air might not have worked for me in New York, but could have been a great bargain for you out of Charleston.

I'd enjoy that drink in Martini's. :D

I agree that everyone's MMV based upon market specifics. However what I said about the additional surcharge is that if it's not on their contracted list of flights, then you'd have to pay the difference. The only way to find out for sure is to ask. They'll tell you whether it's available with no additional fee other than the air deviation or another surcharge.

The bottom line is we have the option to accept or not accept with no out of pocket cost for checking.

BTW my sister lives in Stamford. Been there many times over the years. Stamford was also the first place I ever tasted Johnny Walker Blue but certainly not the last! :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Yeah Jim and Stan, you are kind of partially wrong. While the air cost and any credits do vary based on the geographic locations of the cruise. they do not vary based on the geographic location of the Customer.

If they did vary based on the geographic location of the customer, fares would be required from every gateway city in North America. In fact, the fare for each specific cruise is the same for any geographic location of the cruise. Simple to see on the cruise fare page since there are only a single listing of fares with the only differences being the cabin category.

Now since the credits are the same for any location in North America, yes, you might vary well discuss how well you did using the credits if say you were going to Europe but, say the person you are talking to lives in Hawaii, he would be in real trouble using the same credit to purchase his own tickets but, the amount credited to each of you would be identical.

True, Oceania would be paying a bunch more for his air tickets than for yours but, with the fares identical, the pluses an minuses should average out for O.

Our cruise leaves from Miami and returns to San Juan.

We chose to use Chicago (about 90 minutes from home) as our "gateway" city because there are non-stop flights from there to MIA and from SJU back.

When our packet came, we were booked on flights with undesirable times and long layovers.

I called Oceania right away, cancelled the "free" air, and booked the non-stop flights on my own for $70 per person more. That was cheaper than the deviation fee.

10 trips out of Savannah and always use the deviation option:

Never disappointed because you can accept or reject:

You will get it right:

Recently Delta has pushed a connection thru JFK which is a issue with the connections between terminals in New York:

Delta new terminal is wonderful but since you are on a regional jet you land in a horrible area of the airport with a long walk and bus ride:

10 trips out of Savannah and always use the deviation option:

Never disappointed because you can accept or reject:

You will get it right:

Recently Delta has pushed a connection thru JFK which is a issue with the connections between terminals in New York:

Delta new terminal is wonderful but since you are on a regional jet you land in a horrible area of the airport with a long walk and bus ride:

Is Delta the airline the only contracted one out of Savannah or have you use US Air as well. Currently it seems Delta's flight to Barcelona are two stop before arriving there.

I think I pretty much understand air deviation requests. That there is a "contracted list of flights" But have a question.

I submitted my request, and it cam back with an "up-charge".

I know I can resubmit, even multiple times. With all the flight options, how do I know which part of my request is making the up-charge?

IS it the airline? The particular flight time??

I want fly DL out of MEM, so there could be in fact a flight of all the DL flights that IS on the list, just not the specific one I requested, that has no up-charge.

But if I ask O to send me their choice, they could chose, AA, but there could also be a do-able DL that I would not know about (but would take) unless I just happen to submit it. Could take many many submissions.

Thoughts?

I think I pretty much understand air deviation requests. That there is a "contracted list of flights" But have a question.

I submitted my request, and it cam back with an "up-charge".

I know I can resubmit, even multiple times. With all the flight options, how do I know which part of my request is making the up-charge?

IS it the airline? The particular flight time??

I want fly DL out of MEM, so there could be in fact a flight of all the DL flights that IS on the list, just not the specific one I requested, that has no up-charge.

But if I ask O to send me their choice, they could chose, AA, but there could also be a do-able DL that I would not know about (but would take) unless I just happen to submit it. Could take many many submissions.

Thoughts?

Unless you want to do endless emails and selections, I found a telephone call worked best for me so when I got an option I didn't like, I could ask for an alternative right then. Of course, I was working with a travel agent. Don't know if that makes a difference then their direct phone line.

Unless you want to do endless emails and selections, I found a telephone call worked best for me so when I got an option I didn't like, I could ask for an alternative right then. Of course, I was working with a travel agent. Don't know if that makes a difference then their direct phone line.

I have a TA, and I submitted my choices via email to the TA (better to have it in writing, less chance of error) I think.

So, she emailed me back with O's offer. All done via email.

How did you communicate so quickly with your TA and O??

Does it not have to be submitted via email???

I have a TA, and I submitted my choices via email to the TA (better to have it in writing, less chance of error) I think.

So, she emailed me back with O's offer. All done via email.

How did you communicate so quickly with your TA and O??

Does it not have to be submitted via email???

I emailed my TA that I was interested in looking at air deviation and asked if she would call me. She called back shortly thereafter and we handled it. I asked for no additional fee flights first and I could live with what she found. Then she emailed me the confirmation number and seat locations. There weren't a lot of choices for me anyway.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I emailed my TA that I was interested in looking at air deviation and asked if she would call me. She called back shortly thereafter and we handled it. I asked for no additional fee flights first and I could live with what she found. Then she emailed me the confirmation number and seat locations. There weren't a lot of choices for me anyway.

I will call her, thanks so much. Sounds like the TA had a list to work off of?

J.

I believe it's something better than a list...called the computer or she called the air people on the other line?

Well, yes, I didn't really mean a paper list, but working together real time with you on the phone.

So, if I have ITAsoftware open on my computer, and her on the phone with O, we can do it that way.