Sabbath services

DrJW

On Cruises that are longer [16 days ] Does Oceania make provision for guests to have Sabbath Serivices on Fridays or Saturdays? Some cruise lines invite clergy [Rabbi] to sail so that they can officiate. Is that true as well for Oceania?

When on Riviera last month, there was something in Currents on the Friday of a 7 night cruise to ask if one of the guests would take the lead at the Sabbath service at 6.30 that evening in Riviera lounge.

No idea if someone did or if it's different on longer cruises.

Usually the (so called services) are lead by a layman. We did once have a Reform rabbi on board who took the lead. The service winds up being basically a social event. If you show up knowing that and don't expect an inspirational happening you'll be fine. O does provide a challah and some wine which is nice.

On Cruises that are longer [16 days ] Does Oceania make provision for guests to have Sabbath Serivices on Fridays or Saturdays? Some cruise lines invite clergy [Rabbi] to sail so that they can officiate. Is that true as well for Oceania?

Yes for Friday night and Guest led.

Edited by PaulMCO

We found the services to be well attended (at least 30 people) and meaningful. A gust led them, using a prayer book that I think was provided by O. It definitely wasn't just a social event. IIRC, the services were held right after trivia in the same room--but this was on Insignia & Regatta.

I really liked the very thoughtful Shabbat prayer pamphlet offered plus the challeh but on our May Riviera cruise a cabal of very senior citizens decided to run it by skipping most of the service and making what I considered a mockery of a religious service. Very disappointing.

Edited by CintiPam

I really liked the very thoughtful Shabbat prayer pamphlet offered plus the challeh but on our May Riviera cruise a cabal of very senior citizens decided to run it by skipping most of the service and making what I considered a mockery of a religious service. Very disappointing.

We had a similar experience twice and have not gone back since. Since my DH is a Jewish scholar it is very hard for him (and) me to take. Rather not attend than have to walk out.

desert-island.jpg

An Aunt of mine tells the story of a gentleman who was rescued after thirty years on a desert island .

During his sojourn he had built, at great personal sacrifice, not one but two Jewish Temples on that island, complete down to the smallest detail.

His perplexed rescuers asked about the duplication.

This, said the man, with tears welling up in his eyes, is the Temple in which I attend Services, regularly.

That one, I would never set a foot into, not even if you offered me a million dollars....

desert-island.jpg

An Aunt of mine tells the story of a gentleman who was rescued after thirty years on a desert island .

During his sojourn he had built, at great personal sacrifice, not one but two Jewish Temples on that island, complete down to the smallest detail.

This, said the man, with tears welling up in his eyes, is the Temple in which I attend Services, regularly.That one, I would never set a foot into, not even if you offered me a million dollars....

Oldie but goodie!

desert-island.jpg

This, said the man, with tears welling up in his eyes, is the Temple in which I attend Services, regularly.

That one, I would never set a foot into, not even if you offered me a million dollars....

Cute. I hadn't heard that one before.

For scholars and people who are interested in a real religious service, is it possible to let the cruise director know beforehand that you would like to run the service? Maybe it can be printed in the currents.

That is one battle I do not choose to fight while on vacation.