Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Keith and whogo! I really appreciate this information and think it would be best for me to use a service!

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpat View Post
My consulate office is in Chicago. It is about a 5 hour drive for me.
If I faced a 5 hour drive to the Consulate, I'd also pay for a service. Well worth it in that case, compared to the time lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Visas could be denied for being rude to staff.
Sometimes you can attempt to jolly them out of their bad attitude, especially if you speak any Portuguese. But some of them think this is reciprocity for the treatment of Brazilians applying for U.S. visas, who are, in truth, often treated badly at the U.S. Consulates in Brazil, sometimes by Brazilian staff there. I complained once regarding treatment of a Brazilian friend whom I had accompanied, asking to see a supervisor, and she was literally thrown out on the very hot street while I was allowed to wait inside in the a.c. until a U.S. supervisor could make time to see us both. I was shocked.

Old May 6th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Questions:

What you you use for proof of travel plans if you haven't made final payment yet... or should we wait until after final payment in November for Feb 2 departure?

What do we put for employment as we are both retired?

We are in NM and will use Houston consulate. I expect to use a service. Thanks, m--
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014.
Still to Come: Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014

Old May 7th, 2012, 04:32 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMLincoln View Post
Questions:

What you you use for proof of travel plans if you haven't made final payment yet... or should we wait until after final payment in November for Feb 2 departure?

What do we put for employment as we are both retired?

We are in NM and will use Houston consulate. I expect to use a service. Thanks, m--
Our service took care of the verification of the cruise.

If you are retired you put Retired - and next to the dash you put what your former position was. Below it on line 15 put the name of your former company. On line 17, and 18 put the address of the company. If the company no longer is in business or located there just put N/A

Keith

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, thank you Keith, I never would have thought of all of that. I hope the visa service is as helpful as you have been m--
Carnival Spirit - Alaska 09/2003 , Regal Princess - Panama Canal 1 2/2004, Norwegian Sun - W Caribbean 12/2005 B2B, HAL Maasdam - S Caribbean 12/2006, Diamond Princess - Hawaii 12/2007, HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez 04/2008, Carnival Sprit/HAL Oosterdam B2B Mex Rivieria 12/08, HAL Volendam - Alaska 05/2009 , HAL Amsterdam - Panama Canal Dec 2009,Princess - Med/TA Ruby Princess 10/2010, Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean 3/2011, Carnival Liberty - Caribbean 4/2011 , Maasdam - Caribbean 3/2012, Star Princess - Hawaii 11/2012, Carnival Splendor - SA 'Round the Horn 2/2013, HAL Volendam - LA to Sydney 9/2013, Celebrity Solstice Australia to New Zealand 11/2013, Ocean Princess Society Islands and Tahiti to Hawaii B2B 1/2014.
Still to Come: Hurtigruten Midnatsol - N orway W Coast 10/2014, Viking Embla - Rhine, Main, Danube 11/2014, HAL Maasdam - W TA 11/2014

Old May 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
50,000+ Club

RMLincoln, you are very welcome.

Keith

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
20,000+ Club

Very helpful thread! Thanks

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just applied through a visa service for our upcoming Amazon cruise. The service said not to apply more than 120 days before actual entry to Brazil. The service had a special price for our cruise line. I too had a question about occupation, as we are retired. It was easy to email the visa service with questions. We were instructed to put our former occupations and addresses.

With the price of gas in southern California combined with the stressful drive in to Los Angeles we decided to use the service. Another plus was you could pay with a credit card, and at least get some miles for the expense of 2 visas!

Karen

Old August 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Loreto, which visa service did you use?

Old August 29th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mare s. View Post
Loreto, which visa service did you use?
I used Zeirer....ZVS. They have just changed their name to Visa Central. They had a reduced price for Holland America. I received an acknowledgement from them a few days ago and haven't had any requests for more documents, so I guess I did everything correctly.

Out TA gave me a list of visa services. The Brazil Consulate also had a list on their web page, although they don't endorse any particular company.

Karen

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Loreto (Karen)...I've used Zeirer in the past. Was going to go to the Consulate myself, but maybe I'll reconsider. Especially since the Consulate wants payment with only a Postal Money Order. That's another inconvenience (and credit card points are always good)

Old August 30th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreto View Post
With the price of gas in southern California combined with the stressful drive in to Los Angeles we decided to use the service. Another plus was you could pay with a credit card, and at least get some miles for the expense of 2 visas!

Karen
Be glad you're not buying gas in Brazil. Costs more than even in California.

Old August 30th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattony View Post
Be glad you're not buying gas in Brazil. Costs more than even in California.
I feel your pain! We lived in Germany for 3 years where high gas prices were the norm. We complain alot in the US, but should still be grateful our prices don't equal what other countries pay.

We are VERY excited to be visiting Brazil!
Karen

Old August 30th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loreto View Post
With the price of gas in southern California combined with the stressful drive .....
Be even 'gladder' you aren't driving in Brazil! Talk about stressful.....