Nieuw Amsterdam 12/16/17 cancelled

ETinCA

Just a heads up that they just cancelled our sailing for 12/16/17. No explanation of why yet, but it is confirmed to be cancelled. I'm guessing they moved the dry dock to these dates. The 12/23 and 12/30 sailings appear to not be affected. Heads up!

Just a heads up that they just cancelled our sailing for 12/16/17. No explanation of why yet, but it is confirmed to be cancelled. I'm guessing they moved the dry dock to these dates. The 12/23 and 12/30 sailings appear to not be affected. Heads up!

drydock or charter would be my guesses

This happened to us with our NA cruise as well for March 19, 2017. We were all booked for about 3 months then were told by our TA our cruise was cancelled. We were offered another cruise and $100 per person shipboard credit as we had verandah cabins booked. Good thing we hadn't purchased our airfare yet. We were lucky as the Eurodam had the same itinerary sailing one day earlier so our solution was easy. Hope yours is as easy to resolve.

Edited by doone

This happened to us with our NA cruise as well for March 19, 2017. We were all booked for about 3 months then were told by our TA our cruise was cancelled. We were offered another cruise and $100 per person shipboard credit as we had verandah cabins booked. Good thing we hadn't purchased our airfare yet. We were lucky as the Eurodam had the same itinerary sailing one day earlier so our solution was easy. Hope yours is as easy to resolve.

Curious as to how far in advance your cruise was canceled. Did they give you a year's advance notice? $100pp sounds very little to me, if I were in that situation that wouldn't make me a happy cruiser. Thanks for sharing your experience and I hope you have a wonderful time on Eurodam. m--

They contacted us about 10 months out. If we weren't able to get the same itinerary within a reasonable timeframe I may have been more upset, but since we were able to get the identical cruise only one day earlier worked for us, as I said we were lucky and happy with the $100 shipboard credit. We look at it this way, life happens, as long as we are able to cruise somewhere we are happy....

Was she scheduled to go into dry dock the following week? If yes, maybe they wanted more time to implement the suggestions we make here on CC :p. If not, it could be a charter.

We came out ahead on this when they changed the P'dam dry dock this spring. We got two more days and two more ports on our cruise for free.

If you HAD booked air, HAL covers the CHANGE FEE for the airlines if you booked yourself... you would just be responsible if there's an increase in fare

Not to steal your thread but we were also booked on the NA for 21 days and it has been cancelled. Ours was from November 25-December 16, 2017.

Our notification gave us several other cruises to choose from with also a $100 per person OBC (we were booked in a Signature Suite).

Just going over the options they have sent us.

Thanks for the heads-up and the additional information. Yes, I guess stuff does happen. I need to remember these types of situations because we have been combining cruises together with tours and time in far away places. So far so good, but maybe not always. m--

We haven't been contacted by HAL yet through our agent so we haven't been offered anything as of yet. When I called HAL they told me of some of the dates to potentially move to but we won't be able do any of them in Nov-Jan. It was scheduled to accommodate kids being out of school etc and back before the holidays. Very bummed as we can't take the Eurodam and be back dec 24 since we would be flying across the county home. Too tight for Christmas. Yes things happen but sure seems like a silly dry dock time. Is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They contacted us about 10 months out. If we weren't able to get the same itinerary within a reasonable timeframe I may have been more upset, but since we were able to get the identical cruise only one day earlier worked for us, as I said we were lucky and happy with the $100 shipboard credit. We look at it this way, life happens, as long as we are able to cruise somewhere we are happy....

Doone you have a great attitude,

It could be dry dock or a charter, which I believe was the reason for my cruise cancellation being it was just that one 7 day cruise that was cancelled.

CJcruzer reports it is chartered.

Edited by boards

I haven't been notified yet, but did notice the other day when checking the price that it was no longer available for booking. I just booked (& paid for) a Retreat Cabana earlier this week, too!

Hopefully I'll hear something soon - these dates were perfect for me, and I even scheduled other things immediately preceding the cruise, so I'll have some juggling to do.

Sue/WDW1972

We were certainly surprised to get the email from our TA that our 3 weeks had been cancelled. She forwarded the cruises that HAL offered and we did finally pick one and it has all been changed now. We are very pleased with our new booking-luckily for us it worked out. I do feel for people that have made other plans around the cruise that has now been cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad it worked out! My TA called them, as her "portal" has been down for a couple days. She was told the dept handling that would be open Monday (the cancellation/rescheduling options). Perhaps it's for the best....reading reviews of recent HAL cruises that ended just before Christmas there are way more kids than I like to have onboard, so moving to an earlier sailing should end up being a good move for me. I'm just eager to see what the options are that HAL is presenting!

Sue/WDW1972

Glad it worked out! My TA called them, as her "portal" has been down for a couple days. She was told the dept handling that would be open Monday (the cancellation/rescheduling options). Perhaps it's for the best....reading reviews of recent HAL cruises that ended just before Christmas there are way more kids than I like to have onboard, so moving to an earlier sailing should end up being a good move for me. I'm just eager to see what the options are that HAL is presenting!

Sue/WDW1972

I know when we decided which cruise we wanted and our TA phoned HAL she said she had to speak to a special department that was handling these-can't remember what she called it. I wonder if HAL sent ours earlier because we were on a 21 day cruise? No idea but am very happy we still found a date around when we wanted and as a bonus get to try the Koningsdam.

One of the things I also really wanted was to see Christmas decorations on whichever ship but be home in time for Christmas and this still works for us.

Some of the options we also had were actually into early 2018 which I had contemplated as well.

I hope you find something that fits your schedule.

Well, I got mine changed but it wasn't easy - major headache for my TA. I was only doing this 7-night itinerary, so I was given a choice of certain other 7-night itineraries. They were mostly early November, which conflicts with another trip we have booked. I had 6 options, with dates of 11/4 (two cruises), 11/12, 11/18, 11/26 or 12/10. I wanted the 11/25 Nieuw Amsterdam, which was the exact same itinerary as the cancelled cruise, but they said no. If I picked anything other than one of the 6 offered I'd be booking at the current rate, losing any promos, etc. I ended up going with 11/26 on the Eurodam, which is a similar itinerary and that'll make 2 Eurodam cruises in 2017 for me (doing the 3/25 sailing).

When I booked, I paid the Explore 4 price, and that was the next nightmare - since that promo had ended, and this new cruise is a cancel/rebook with a new number HAL was having trouble adding my "free" (ha!) Pinnacle dinner and beverage package. My TA will have to continue to work on that with them, as I shouldn't be penalized by them canceling my cruise.

For good news, my Retreat cabana got moved over to the new sailing (most likely my TA specifically mentioning that). Now I need to wait for my Tamarind dinner to be refunded, and when I book on the new date it'll be at the increased price. It's not worth fighting with HAL over $5, lol!

Sue/WDW1972