Police officers save Jet Skiers from being ran over by a cruise ship

scubacruiserx2

A Brevard County Marine Sheriff's Unit at the risk of their own lives , saved 2 Jet Skiers from a near tragedy Saturday . The ski had flipped and they were in the path of the departing Carnival Cruise ship Magic when the heroes took action . Well done , you deserve national headlines and our debt of gratitude !!!

Video here :

Edited by scubacruiserx2

That was a scary situation. I bet they will never try to drive in front of a cruise ship ever again! I,ve been on cruise ships going out of the port and people on their boats,jetskis driving in front of the cruise ship .I,ve always said there,s something wrong with those people ,risking their lives doing that crap!!! SMH:eek:

That was a scary situation. I bet they will never try to drive in front of a cruise ship ever again! I,ve been on cruise ships going out of the port and people on their boats,jetskis driving in front of the cruise ship .I,ve always said there,s something wrong with those people ,risking their lives doing that crap!!! SMH:eek:

I thought the harbor patrol not only guides the ship out of the port but, also ensure that other boats, jet skis, are kept their distance from the cruise ship.

I believe there was only ONE officer (LEO) in that boat. The ship's pilot was also credited in news reports with slightly altering course - which gave the LEO a few extra seconds. But that LEO, without a doubt saved those women's lives.

News account here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-carnival-cruise-ship-rescue-jet-ski20170312-story.html

We recently got back from a Norwegian Epic cruise out of Port Canaveral. The sheriff's boat had to race forward to make a guy in a fishing kayak get out of the way of the Epic. People have no clue. No one should be jet skiing or kayaking on the Port Canaveral inlet period. In addition to cruise ships, other large boats come and go all the time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am a retired firefighter (35 years) - some people are just idiots - the operator of that jet ski should be fined or jailed for putting the lives of the rescue/Leo boat in danger - this was NOT an accident - that operator 'choose' to ride in front of that ship.

I thought the harbor patrol not only guides the ship out of the port but, also ensure that other boats, jet skis, are kept their distance from the cruise ship.

In general, boaters (like drivers) are expected to follow the nautical rules of the road (or, in this case, shipping lane) with or without any "police authority" patrolling that byway. That said, there's always idiots to contend with.

With now heightened security, and depending on the port in question, you are correct that a cruise ship may be accompanied by the USCG (or equivalent abroad). But, the USCG or local harbor "patrol" are not who "guides" a ship from port to the open sea (and vice versa). That is the harbor pilot who is abroad briefly to complete that sole function.

That said, it was fortuitous for those jet skiers that the harbor police were close at hand and quick acting. Even if it was possible for the bridge crew to see directly below and in front of the bow, stopping a ship is a "distance eating" maneuver (remember the Exxon Valdez?).

If you live anywhere near one of the US' state maritime academies (particularly if you are a recreational boater/sailor) and you want a real "eye opener," check out the possibility of visiting one of their bridge simulators where you will quickly learn how very dangerous it is to be anywhere near a large ship underway. BTW, the most realistic and comprehensive of these simulators is the multi-story 360 degree simulator at the California Maritime Academy in Vallejo CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am a retired firefighter (35 years) - some people are just idiots - the operator of that jet ski should be fined or jailed for putting the lives of the rescue/Leo boat in danger - this was NOT an accident - that operator 'choose' to ride in front of that ship.

Agree, as a retired Police Officer you are absolutely correct, these people should be charged with being "stupid in public."

Agree, as a retired Police Officer you are absolutely correct, these people should be charged with being "stupid in public."

At the very least, they should be charged for the cost of the rescue. What is more troubling is that they put the rescuers lives in danger by their stupidity. You can't fix stupid.

Some Minnesotans used to believe they had a God-given right to drive on the lakes in the winter, whether or not they were frozen. Police departments were expending considerable resources rescuing these fools. They now get charged for the cost of the rescue.

That's been my experience too Pickels....on all our cruises there's been either harbor patrol or police boat cruising along the ship to keep other boats out of the way. Wonder why there wasn't this time..

Linda: We live on Great South Bay, which occasionally freezes over all the way to Fire Island. Many years ago some local high school boys thought it would be fun to drive their dad's new VW Beetle across the Bay....they didn't get far. Both boys survived the near sinking although I'm not sure about what happened to them after being brought home by the SCPD and left to explain where Dad's new car was.

That's been my experience too Pickels....on all our cruises there's been either harbor patrol or police boat cruising along the ship to keep other boats out of the way. Wonder why there wasn't this time..

Linda: We live on Great South Bay, which occasionally freezes over all the way to Fire Island. Many years ago some local high school boys thought it would be fun to drive their dad's new VW Beetle across the Bay....they didn't get far. Both boys survived the near sinking although I'm not sure about what happened to them after being brought home by the SCPD and left to explain where Dad's new car was.

I suspect that the boat that rescued them was the boat taking the ship out of the harbor and then these jet skiers appeared.