Bermuda in May

kattlinx13

Hello. I am thinking of booking a cruise from NY to Bermuda next May. The weather shows that the temperature is high 76 and humidity of 88. I don't want it to be cold, I want to be able to lay on the beach. Can anyone give me their opinions of sailing there in May. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went early May two years ago and we're going mid May this year.We had a beautiful beach day, but to us the water temp was a bit chilly.However, plenty of people were in swimming.

Hello. I am thinking of booking a cruise from NY to Bermuda next May. The weather shows that the temperature is high 76 and humidity of 88. I don't want it to be cold, I want to be able to lay on the beach. Can anyone give me their opinions of sailing there in May. Thanks

I don't go in May anymore because the water is too chilly for me. But there are different tolerances. YMMV. Some are okay with the May water temperature. It is better at the end of the month and May 24 which is Bermuda Day marks the beginning of beach season locally in Bermuda. I advise though not booking a sailing where Bermuda Day is one of the days in Bermuda. May is a good time of year for golfers. Pleasant air temperatures and humidity. Laying on the beach not so much but temperature can not be predicted. I have been able to lay on the beach but not being able to go in the water. Also May tends to be when there might be jelly fish swarms.

I don't go in May anymore because the water is too chilly for me. But there are different tolerances. YMMV. Some are okay with the May water temperature. It is better at the end of the month and May 24 which is Bermuda Day marks the beginning of beach season locally in Bermuda. I advise though not booking a sailing where Bermuda Day is one of the days in Bermuda. May is a good time of year for golfers. Pleasant air temperatures and humidity. Laying on the beach not so much but temperature can not be predicted. I have been able to lay on the beach but not being able to go in the water. Also May tends to be when there might be jelly fish swarms.

Hi Charles,

I didn't realize May 24 was a holiday when I book our cruise, so we are arriving in Bermuda that day. Why do you advise against being there that day? I'm trying to plan our activities. thanks for any input!

Terry

Hi Charles,

I didn't realize May 24 was a holiday when I book our cruise, so we are arriving in Bermuda that day. Why do you advise against being there that day? I'm trying to plan our activities. thanks for any input!

Terry

I would not book that day if I knew about it before booking. Most shops and many of the restaurants will be closed. Buses and ferries run on a reduced schedule. The ferry schedule for that day won't be released until a few days before. You so can't make exact plans if the ferry is involved. They have a marathon and bike race in the morning from Somerset to Hamilton. Somerset is right outside the Dockyard. So road congestion is likely. The parade is a big event, I read that Bermudans camp out and reserve the best spots. If my ship was docked in Hamilton that would be great, I would enjoy the festivities on Front Street, if docked at the Dockyard, I am not sure.

So in a nutshell, if I am in Bermuda during that holiday I would make the best of it, but I would not knowingly book to be there then, on a ship docked at the Dockyard.

FYI: according to Bernews.com, this was the ferry schedule for May 24 Bermuda Day LAST YEAR in 2016--I assume it will be the same this year.

Holiday Ferry Schedule For Bermuda Day

May 19, 2016 | 0 Comments

The Department of Marine and Ports Services has posted a notice of the holiday ferry schedule for Bermuda Day on May 24.

A Government spokesperson said, “Blue Route: operating on the weekday schedule between Hamilton and Dockyard as of 7:10am from Hamilton, with the last departure from Hamilton at 8:30pm

“Orange Route: operating on the Monday schedule between Dockyard & St. George’s as of 8:15am from Dockyard, with the last departure from St. George’s at 5:30pm and returning from Dockyard at 6:30pm

“Pink Route: operating on the Public Holiday Schedule between Hamilton, Paget & Warwick as of 10am from Hamilton, with the last departure at6pm. An additional service departing Belmont at 1:15pm & Darrell’s Wharf at 1:20pm.

“Green Route: there will be no regular ferry services to or from Rockaway, Cavello Bay and Watford Bridge. Ferries will transport marathon participants direct to Watford Bridge, departing Hamilton at 7:30am. Our regular scheduled ferry departing Hamilton to Dockyard at7:10am will also transport participants to Watford Bridge after Dockyard.”

We are getting married 5/5 so we head on our honeymoon 5/6. We live in ny and love going out of the NYC port. I guess I will look at the FL cruises again but there aren't that many.

As a New Yorker used to swimming off Long Island in summer, the Bermuda waters in May will be fine. Most people who find it cold are from Maryland and south.

As a New Yorker used to swimming off Long Island in summer, the Bermuda waters in May will be fine. Most people who find it cold are from Maryland and south.

This. We went mid May a few years ago and it was fine. The water was plenty warm enough. What we actually had to worry about was jellyfish. They had people policing the beach at Horseshoe Bay picking up the dead ones on the sand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This. We went mid May a few years ago and it was fine. The water was plenty warm enough. What we actually had to worry about was jellyfish. They had people policing the beach at Horseshoe Bay picking up the dead ones on the sand.

One of the pros of going to Horseshoe Bay over other Bermuda beaches is that they have lifeguards. The lifeguards observe for jellyfish in the water, give warnings to get out of the water and they pick them up off the beach. If someone unfortunately gets stung they will provide first aid.

7c970dd42180415cc0c70783ab0cd011.jpg

We always go mid May and find the water amazing. If you think that water is cold you should travel to Maine in July. It is cold but refreshing after baking on the beach.

I'm used to cool NY lake water so the Bermuda water in May was perfect! We are cruising to Canada and Maine last week of June. We probably won't get a chance to do any swimming off the ship but I'm thinking it will still be chilly in Halifax at least!

I'm used to cool NY lake water so the Bermuda water in May was perfect! We are cruising to Canada and Maine last week of June. We probably won't get a chance to do any swimming off the ship but I'm thinking it will still be chilly in Halifax at least!

I can't deal with the water temperature in May but it is what you are used to. Also age might have something to do with it. I noticed that when I could not stand the water temperature in May there were teenagers and younger frolicking in the water.

Will it be warm enough to wear shorts doing a tour from 5/17-5/19?

Coming from NYC so not really expecting it to be beach weather for swimming but hoping to be able to sit on the beach without freezing.

MARAPRINCE

Yes, you can wear shorts, and yes, you'll be able to sit on the beach w/o freezing.

SBtS

Coming from NYC so not really expecting it to be beach weather for swimming but hoping to be able to sit on the beach without freezing.

MARAPRINCE

We were there exactly that time a few years ago and it was fine. Wore shorts every day and thought the water was plenty warm. Air temps were upper 70's to lower 80's. I'm from NY as well, maybe an hour and a half north of the city.

MARAPRINCE

The air temperature is usually shorts weather and very pleasant in May. Not too humid. Sitting on the beach comfortably depends on the wind.

I've been to Bermuda many times in May and I always have been able to wear shorts. With the bright sun shinning,it can be very warm and lovely. I find the water too cold but there were alot of people enjoying it. Alot of people laying out on the beaches. Perfect weather for exploring the island.

Laura

Average temp in May is mid 70's. With the dew point feels like low 80's during the day. At night, upper 60's to low 70's. Go to weather.bm, then climate data. You can look at daily air and water temps for any month. You can go back a couple years. Just remember, the dew point starts getting progressively higher in May and adds about 5-10 degrees in real feel. By July it adds about 15 degrees to real feel.

so how is april ? i cannot do it but there's a 1400 dollar breakaway inside leaving this sunday. crazy cheap. i figured cause is freezing there , relatively speaking

The weather will be pleasant. Not freezing at all. It is the water temperature that is cool. The air temp would be nice. Would be good for touring, walking and golf weather.