Alaskan Cruise on Legend July 2018

momsdumplin

My family and I are booked on the Legend for the Alaskan trip. We are so very excited as we are celebrating many milestones in our family. My oldest is graduating from high school, my youngest is turning 16, and the husband and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage! As mentioned, I've booked our cabins and now the real planning begins.

Any suggestions on hotels we can stay in when we come in from South Carolina? We're hoping to fly in the Sunday prior to our Tuesday cruise so we can take in Seattle. We really don't want to rent a car while there but would rather have something close to the airport as well as the cruise terminal and places like the Space Needle. I admit I know nothing about the area, so excuse my ignorance if none of those things are relatively close.

Also, if any of you have been on the 7 day cruise previously, please let me know what items I'll need to pack. I know it's going to be chilly during our trip. We live in the south so cold weather clothing isn't necessarily something we have abundantly in our closets. What will I need to purchase between now and then?

Any other suggestions you can provide? This will be our 3rd cruise but we still feel like newbies.

Thanks!

Oh, y'all are going to have so much fun! We went last year, and I would go again without a second thought!

We stayed at the Maxwell Hotel...very nice, near the Space Needle. We did not rent a car. We took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, then walked to the Space Needle and took the monorail to downtown. The hotel also has transportation that you can arrange through them. We were always up and out before this service started, so we never used it. You are within walking distance to places to eat and there is a grocery right down the street.

For the cruise, make sure you take binoculars. The naturalist onboard will be on the look out for whales and other wildlife and will let you know when spotted. We stayed out on our balcony and was continually amazed! You will hear this more than once, but it is true....layers! This will be a cruise where your luggage will be heavier but remember, you can do laundry and jeans can be worn over and over. If you think dinner service is casual on Caribbean cruises, it is even more so on this cruise. Jeans are very common. Also, if you can, book the Tracy Arms Fjord small boat tour. It is a little pricey but so worth it!

would rather have something close to the airport as well as the cruise terminal and places like the Space Needle. I admit I know nothing about the area, so excuse my ignorance if none of those things are relatively close.

Thanks!

You won't find that as they are spread apart. We found staying near the Space Needle worth it because it was much cheaper and we could use the monorail ($1-3/ride) to get into the city quickly. Then we used a shuttle to get to the terminal. As I just posted, I have all the info in my trip reports. Hopefully it can help you make some decisions. :)

My biggest advice is the splurge on your excursions. Do something at every port, and don't even consider price as a factor. Do WHATEVER you want to do, you are in Alaska, and may not get back!!!! Do a helicopter tour up to a glacier, lots to choose from, pick whichever appeals to the group, but do it.

Pack.... pack jeans, long sleeved shirts, fleece vests and a few sweatshirts or jackets. Pack a rain jacket. It can be sunny or rainy or both every day. It can be 70s-80s at port, and 30s up on the glaciers!

My biggest advice is the splurge on your excursions. Do something at every port, and don't even consider price as a factor. Do WHATEVER you want to do, you are in Alaska, and may not get back!!!! Do a helicopter tour up to a glacier, lots to choose from, pick whichever appeals to the group, but do it.

Haha! That's the same advice we tell everyone who says they're considering this cruise. I know many people go more than once, but I bet a majority only do it one time. We did everything we wanted to do. We did the helicopter onto a glacier - which was awesome!! But you're right, don't wait and think you'll have a second chance.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express by the airport. They had a cruise package that included shuttle to port and then from port to airport. We did this on both Alaskan Cruises we took. The monorail is about a block away so we used that to go downtown. They also have a shuttle that will take you within a certain mile radius. If you are staying multiple nights, it may be more cost effective to do 2 reservations and only book the cruise package the last night since the price is higher to cover the shuttle. Also, breakfast was included so that saved on food.

I never felt the need for a winter coat. Both trips I wore mostly capris with either a long sleeve shirt or short sleeves with a light jacket. Layers are the key. Umbrella/rain gear is key. Only needed it once in 2 cruises but you never know.

Take binoculars to spot wildlife on shore.

Have fun!

I live an hour north of Seattle and used to work in downtown. Whenever I have relatives come over we take them on the UNDERGROUND TOUR! It is pretty amazing.

The space needle is not that big of a deal and imho is better viewed from afar. Pikes Market is fun, but it will be packed. The Museum of Pop Culture is nearby so your kids may like that. There is so much to do. . .But don't skip the Underground Tour!

I live an hour north of Seattle and used to work in downtown. Whenever I have relatives come over we take them on the UNDERGROUND TOUR! It is pretty amazing.

The space needle is not that big of a deal and imho is better viewed from afar. Pikes Market is fun, but it will be packed. The Museum of Pop Culture is nearby so your kids may like that. There is so much to do. . .But don't skip the Underground Tour!

Yep! We did that tour!! It was really neat and interesting! And I also agree, we skipped the Space Needle and went up in the Sky View Observatory instead. It's cheaper and better views. And way less crowded. Plus, the ticket is valid for all day visits, so we went once during the afternoon and then again in the evening for sunset.

We did the Alaska cruise last August and finding a inexpensive nice hotel was a long process but we stayed @ THE MOORE HOTEL they converted a theater into a hotel the location was excellent if you want to be within walking distance to PIKE PLACE MARKET, THE NEEDLE, SHOPPING, the first Starbucks then you want to stay there. No need to rent a car, the hotel will set u up with a private shuttle to the port

Layers for clothing. We planned a laundry day once during the trip. The attire for the dining room seemed a little relaxed.

We stayed at inn at the market before the trip. Pricey but we loved it. It was in the middle of everything. Then we stayed at the Westin afterwards. Not a fan of that Westin. We went to a Mariners game. It was a simple bus ride.

The Tracey arm boat was great. Buy a city pass and enjoy Seattle. My wife liked the aquarium and she normally hates them. Go to Starbucks early.... my wife thought I was kidding... lines where 60-70 folks deep mid day. Head over to the Alaska board and spend some time.

We stayed at a Hampton Inn downtown and just took a taxi from the airport. Our hotel had a very reasonably priced shuttle to the terminal. Layers are important but keep checking the weather right up until you leave. For our kayak excursion we wore shorts and got hot! Excursions are the best part of the trip. I highly recommend whale watching. My husband and both kids agreed it was their favorite and I can never get them all to agree on anything!

Other packing things would be magnetic hooks to hang rain jackets or hats on the wall and definitely binoculars. Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I forgot to add something. We went to the steakhouse the first night. We skipped the free bottle of wine and ordered some that was discounted. It is at the top of the ship. You are transiting so the views are great and the sun was setting. Plus it was very crowded. I like steak but the sea bass was fantastic.

The chefs table was served in a dance lounge. That would be a good date night dinner.

We did not go on a whale watching trip. I heard good things from those that did.

Going on the Carnival Legend to Alaska on August. Celebrating one of my kids graduating from high school, the other from college and my 50th birthday. We're going early to spend three days in Seattle. Who knows when we'll get to do this again. I must admit that in my research I greatly under budgeted for a hotel. We're staying in the Hampton Inn near the Space Needle. Has anyone done the Mt. Rainier tour?

Going on the Carnival Legend to Alaska on August. Celebrating one of my kids graduating from high school, the other from college and my 50th birthday. We're going early to spend three days in Seattle. Who knows when we'll get to do this again. I must admit that in my research I greatly under budgeted for a hotel. We're staying in the Hampton Inn near the Space Needle. Has anyone done the Mt. Rainier tour?

So, we rented a car with the possible intention of driving to Mt. Rainier. However, we didn't want to get our rental until like 10 a.m. so we could return it 24 hours later (and use their shuttle to the cruise ship). By starting at 10 a.m. we knew we didn't have anywhere near enough time. It's a pretty good drive out there, plus traffic, and then the actual time spent there, trying to hike around, etc... I've been told it's a pretty long day trip if people try to do it. We went to Snoqualmie Falls instead, and then found a small mountain on the drive back that we did some hiking at. Just saw some beautiful scenery.

I will add to the list of things to bring:

Hiking or good grip shoes. The drizzle type rain makes surfaces slippery, especially on excursions. I wore a simple pair of crocs that are closed in without holes most days in the ports and they were great for non slip and for going through little puddles.

I am from Colorado so I was rarely cold but I did bring one of those rain jackets that packs into a tiny little bag from REI. That came in handy as it rained the whole day in Juneau but it wasn't too bulky. Serenity deck at night in that beautiful area is so cool. Its cold out there though so I got a blanket from the "towel" area and then had a hoodie and beanie on and enjoyed all those great stars!

If you feel like 55 - 60 degrees is really cold to you, I would pack a couple pairs of base layer so you can put those on under pretty much anything and be warmer. And a pair of gloves for sure. Just those little sweater ones are sufficient.

Have fun!

My family and I are booked on the Legend for the Alaskan trip. We are so very excited as we are celebrating many milestones in our family. My oldest is graduating from high school, my youngest is turning 16, and the husband and I are celebrating 25 years of marriage! As mentioned, I've booked our cabins and now the real planning begins.

Any suggestions on hotels we can stay in when we come in from South Carolina? We're hoping to fly in the Sunday prior to our Tuesday cruise so we can take in Seattle. We really don't want to rent a car while there but would rather have something close to the airport as well as the cruise terminal and places like the Space Needle. I admit I know nothing about the area, so excuse my ignorance if none of those things are relatively close.

Also, if any of you have been on the 7 day cruise previously, please let me know what items I'll need to pack. I know it's going to be chilly during our trip. We live in the south so cold weather clothing isn't necessarily something we have abundantly in our closets. What will I need to purchase between now and then?

Any other suggestions you can provide? This will be our 3rd cruise but we still feel like newbies.

Thanks!

Congrats on your upcoming cruise and all of the wonderful milestones you will be celebrating! I'll be on the Legend in August so I'd love to hear your experiences. Regarding what to pack- I have heard that the Fun Shops on board will have very reasonably priced jackets as will all of the ports. You'll be able to buy it if you feel you'll need it AND is a souvenir that says Alaska on it so it does double duty LOL!!

There is a board for Seattle departures- lots of great advice over there. We'll be staying in the Pioneer Square section- middle ground between Pike Place Market (my must see) and the Mariners/Seahawks stadiums (must see for DH and DS). Hotels are more expensive downtown compared to airport area, but for us it is worth the extra money to save commute time IMO since we only have a couple of days to see everything (plus the room prices are pretty close to what I pay here in Baltimore/DC area and when I go home to NY).

I would recommend a walking tour if possible- it is such a wonderful way to learn about a new city. Check on trip advisor for some of the free/"pay what you feel it's worth" tours. We are doing an early morning tour of Pike market before they get too busy. We also plan to visit Pacific Science center, have brunch at Space Needle, behind the scenes tours of Safeco and Century Link fields, plan to take water taxi over to West Seattle to spend time at Alki Beach and eat at Marniation Ma Kai... there are lots of fun things to do in Seattle!!

Enjoy your cruise. Be sure to come back here and let us know how much fun you had! :D

I have heard that the Fun Shops on board will have very reasonably priced jackets as will all of the ports. You'll be able to buy it if you feel you'll need it AND is a souvenir that says Alaska on it so it does double duty LOL!!

Yes! We're from Chicago but I didn't pack a heavy coat. I had rain gear though. So I ended up picking up a jacket in the Fun Shops. It was fleece on the inside and then waterproof outside, it says Alaska stitched into the fleece part too. It was great! And I think it was like $25-30. I've used it dozens of times since I've been home from our cruise last summer.

For the cruise: binoculars and windbreaker are essential. One thing that separates Alaska cruises from Caribbean cruises is you will want to be on deck, including at the very front of the ship, much more than on Caribbean cruises because there is constantly amazing, changing scenery.

We did this cruise July 2015 and it was never even chilly in port (I wore short-sleeved shirt at every port, see photo in my signature in our favorite - Skagway).

In Skagway, get the salmon dish at the only Thai restaurant in town. I am not a fan of the salmon we get on the east coast, but pacific salmon is incredible and this restaurant catches their own and cooks them same day.

For Seattle: I highly recommend "Seattle free tours by foot" (you will want to tip the awesome guide afterward, I forgot his name, but don't let the pricetag fool you). I recommend whichever hotel within walking distance of the space needle fits your budget. If you a walking crowd, you will be walking distance to everything that way, including the "hill" (forgot the name) where you have the iconic view of Seattle. If you are a foodie, the best restaurants are not the seafood places on the waterfront.

I have been on eight cruises and Alaska is the only one I would repeat the exact same venue again, and I look forward to that day. It sounds like your trip is much like ours, we spent two days in Portland, took the train through the Cascade Mts., then three days in Seattle before the amazing cruise.

You know how the cruise directors always welcome people aboard with "get ready for the vacation of a lifetime", but most cruises are pretty much the same experience? This is one time they can say that and be telling the truth.

We did this cruise July 2015 and it was never even chilly in port (I wore short-sleeved shirt at every port, see photo in my signature in our favorite - Skagway).

Skagway was the only port where I was comfortable in capris for awhile on the deck during the afternoon. We did an early morning excursion, we came back to town around 1:30-2:00 p.m. and walked around for a bit. But we were tired, so we went back to the ship around 3ish and changed. My son was running around in a t-shirt in shorts by then. For us, every other port was still pretty chilly, jeans & long sleeves. We were also there in July (2016).