Gaelic explorer?

Koshlong

We're looking at the Gaelic Explorers itinerary, calling at Invergordon, Kirkwall, Portree, Tobermory, Portrush and the Isle of Man. On the date that interests me the ship would be the Wind Surf.

We usually cruise on Holland America, so this would bee quite different for us.

I'd love to hear experiences on both the cruise and the ship.

We have been on all three sailboats and one motor yacht. While all are great we adore the Surf for a total of 19 cruises with WS and with one on the Surf coming up in a month. She is mighty and gracious. She has a presence. We love the sails. That is our preference. However, all the ships we have been on are the same as for impecable service, friendliness, great dining and we love " small". Try her you will be impressed. Happy Sailing

( never been on the North Sea ) we did do Tall Ships that was an amazing experience. Have fun.

We're looking at the Gaelic Explorers itinerary, calling at Invergordon, Kirkwall, Portree, Tobermory, Portrush and the Isle of Man. On the date that interests me the ship would be the Wind Surf.

We usually cruise on Holland America, so this would bee quite different for us.

I'd love to hear experiences on both the cruise and the ship.

We're going on that Surf sailing 6/24. Have sailed her from Oslo to Venice and keep going back. Great ship and people. We are anticipating decent weather but know it can change daily up that way. Have talked to people who have done this and all loved it but there is always a risk that ship cannot make port. That can happen anywhere. Even in bad seas she is stable. We were in 50 knot winds off of Spain last year with no problems. Have sailed Holland America and honestly could never go back to large ships after WS, both sailing and motor yachts. June should have less rain than the fall sailing but never a guarantee. The sale price this week is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I like HAL for a mass market cruise experience. Their entertainment is very good. The food and service is also good. However, as on many large ships HAL gets crowded at the buffet and pool areas. I prefer not to hunt for a deck chair. That doesn't ha[ppen on Windstar. The Windsurf is a cut above any HAL ship. The ship is gorgeous. The cabins are beautifully appointed. The first time I thought that I might miss having a veranda. There are many outdoor venues which are close to the cabins. You never have to hunt for a chaise or chair anywhere. The ship is small making it easy to get outside quickly. The cabins have lots of good storage space and superb lighting. I also love the L'Occitane toiletries. The public areas are beautiful. The food and service in all areas are outstanding. In addition to the Veranda (breakfast and lunch) and AmphorA(dinner), there are 2 specialty restaurants at no extra charge. The Yacht Club has sandwiches, coffee, desserts, etc. Room service is free 24/7. All non alcoholic drinks are included anywhere on the ship. Menu selections are very good. Local food selections are often included. The deck BBQ is not to be missed. The service on Windstar is better than HAL. Have a good time on the Windsurf.

Once you sail a small ship you'll never return to a large one.

Yes except we did a fabulous TA crossing on the QM2 a few years ago with James Taylor as the entertainment. Would do it again if the dates worked to get me over there for a WS sail. No jet lag! I keep looking but they haven't meshed for us. It's an incredibly interesting ship that houses a 10,000 volume library and a planetarium. The lecturers were first class. The food was horrible except for a specialty steakhouse and service more like a 3 star hotel but the seas were like a big river and James Taylor was amazing as a fellow passenger and entertainer.

Glad you're going. We have booked several guides for June, a couple of them were highly recommended by another WS cruiser who did this itinerary last year. If you're interested I can give you an email address and would be happy to send you the information. I've also booked on Tours by Locals for a couple of ports.

Happy to share. Email sb44 at gmail dot com. I'll send a copy of info from other CC member and some that I've discovered.

Sorry. For some reason I couldn't edit. Email is sb44ins at gmail dot com. Left off part above.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
We've booked for September. Now the research really begins. Thank you for your encouragement.

Sounds like we are booked on the same trip. Edinburgh to Dublin early Sept. You're gonna love the Windsurf. We've sailed it 3X before and once on one of the Windstar yachts (SeaBreeze). Although lovely the WindSurf is by far our favorite. This will be our first cool weather trip on a Windstar ship so will be a little different. Cathy & Jim Willoughby (Poughkeepsie, NY)

Happy to share. Email sb44 at gmail dot com. I'll send a copy of info from other CC member and some that I've discovered.

I am traveling on the same itinerary in Sept from Edinburgh to Dublin on the Windstar. May drop you an email to see if you can provide an help with a tour or tour guide in Portrush. I tried to contact a group called Dalriada Kingdom Tours via their website but oddly no response. Will send email separately. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. Cathy W.

I am traveling on the same itinerary in Sept from Edinburgh to Dublin on the Windstar. May drop you an email to see if you can provide an help with a tour or tour guide in Portrush. I tried to contact a group called Dalriada Kingdom Tours via their website but oddly no response. Will send email separately. Thanks in advance for any input you can provide. Cathy W.

Hi Cathy. Happy to share. The correct email is sb44ins at gmail dot com. I think the other is a typo. We had great guide in Portrush but they are all busy that time.of year.