CLT-PHL-ATH or CLT-FCO-ATH

toberman

Traveling to Athens in August and the two options above keep popping up. On the PHL connection, I can choose a 1+30 layover using an RJ to PHL (terminal F, I believe) and transferring to terminal A (east or west). The 2nd option in PHL is flying a wide-body and getting a 3+20 layover. Don't know if 1+30 is pushing it??

For the Rome connection there's a 1+15 layover connecting to Aegean to ATH. I believe both airlines operate out of terminal T3. I'm questioning if that's enough time to clear customs? Does one have to retrieve their bags for customs and recheck them? If so, I really don't think the time is sufficient at FCO - heard it can take up to an hour to get luggage!

Any insight?? Thanks.

Traveling to Athens in August and the two options above keep popping up. On the PHL connection, I can choose a 1+30 layover using an RJ to PHL (terminal F, I believe) and transferring to terminal A (east or west). The 2nd option in PHL is flying a wide-body and getting a 3+20 layover. Don't know if 1+30 is pushing it??

For the Rome connection there's a 1+15 layover connecting to Aegean to ATH. I believe both airlines operate out of terminal T3. I'm questioning if that's enough time to clear customs? Does one have to retrieve their bags for customs and recheck them? If so, I really don't think the time is sufficient at FCO - heard it can take up to an hour to get luggage!

Any insight?? Thanks.

Greece is in the Schengen zone so you'd clear passport control/immigration at FCO but customs and bag claim at ATH.

Greece is in the Schengen zone so you'd clear passport control/immigration at FCO but customs and bag claim at ATH.

Thanks - that would speed things up at FCO. Would sooner do this route, but still thinking it may be tight for the connection.

On the PHL connection, I can choose a 1+30 layover....

For the Rome connection there's a 1+15 layover connecting to Aegean to ATH.

Something to consider: If you don't make the connection at PHL, how many later flights to FCO are there? If you don't make the connection in FCO, how many later flights to ATH are there?