Sell Me on Trying a Pro Mani Pedi

I've always done my own (natural) nails but found by day 2 or 3 of a water laden cruise, they are chipping and peeling. I do use OPI products with base and top coat and 2 coats of polish.

On a whim last cruise I tried the walmart nail salon:o2 days before I left. It chipped even sooner.:mad:

My friends who are mani-pedi girls get them done in their hair salons or at places downtown, far drive from my house. The owner of salon does my hair but she admits they don't specialize in nails and she goes somewhere else to get her's done, but won't divulge where lol.

Guess I could arbitrarily pick one of the several nail salons in the local mall for upcoming trip but thought I'd post here for helpful hints. One issue is I need to pick my youngest DS up from college dorm on Thursday and there will be lots of hauling stuff, guess I should wait until friday afternoon but we do leave for airport hotel that night.

Have you considered trying a shellac manicure? That may last a lot longer, and you could get it done a bit in advance, especially if you will be moving things right before the cruise. Personally, I avoid those little nail salons that seem to be on every street corner. If you can't get a recommendation from someone, try using google to find a salon that has experience with shellac manicures. Good luck.

I know they are doing a gel overcoat on nails now that lasts along time, you need polish remover to get it off. I do have acrylic nails but did have the gel overcoat put on once and it had a wonderful shine to it and it lasted about three wks. I just have polish on my toes but usually have them done a few days before we leave on a cruise and they last till a wk or so after we get back. I know some folks swear by the larger salon type nail places but truth be told I have never been able to tell the difference between a $30 pedi and a $70 one. I know you need to be sure you are going somewhere that cleans their instruments correctly and their tub so you don't get an infection but other then that the results are all about the same IMHO. Of course I live in a larger city and have lots of choices, but have gone to the same small salon for yrs with no problems.

My toes stay good for much longer than my fingernails. I do my own, and bring my polish and remover and just redo my fingers as needed. Doesn't take too long! I use Maybelline's Express Finish....it's a quick dry, and goes on nice and smooth and dries fast! I also bring the same in a top-coat...that does protect!

I don't like anyone messing with my nails....the one time I did a professional mani/pedi, I cut, filed and shaped my own nails...all they did was polish!

Professional vs Home

Pro

I love the relaxing experience of having someone else do my nails

A big choice of colors and if you are into trendy looks they can do that kind of stuff

I never do my own pedi so if I want one I rely on the professionals to do that for sure

Home

You know best how your nails look and you can get them to look exactly as you wish

You will already have the same polish to repair a chip or problem

It saves money if you don't have to buy anything extra.

So if you want to relax an let someone else do your nails spend the $$ if you are that pressed for time etc then diy!

Sadly, one negative thing about a professional pedicure is the possibility of cross-contamination concerning the utensils that are used. I am absolutely certain I picked up a fungus from having my toes done in a salon. The salon itself was new, clean, and I loved my technician - but, things are only as clean as the instruments. You can google some nasty details online if you really want to scare yourself but for now, I've said no to salons.

I do my own pedicures following the steps I saw my techician use: clip, file and shape not too rounded at the corners, file and buff calluses, lotions, base coat, two coats polish, top coat, maintenance. I use OPI products like she did and the results, although not as relaxing :p are satisfactory.

I can do my own mani-pedi yes. But I like going its my relaxing treat. I've been going to same place for 18 years. My manicure gets screwed up somehow. My pedi always seems to last longer. then again I'll get tired of the color on my hands and change it a week later. I always bring my own color to salon so I can touch it up , if I mess it up(which I do) when I'm on vacay land or cruise.

Its totally up to you which route to go

I usually do my own pedi's but for special events and trips I go pro. I think it's better because they do perfect, super thin, even coats that last forever without chipping or peeling. They also can do French with their eyes closed. The same cannot be said for me although I get it right most of the time. Oh... and they scrub and moisturize waaaaayyyy better than I do at home.

Almost forgot... this does not apply to all salons. I've had bad and good. I found a salon that's outstanding but a little far and on the pricey side. Since I always get a good result it's worth it to me. That's the real trick. Nothing sucks more than spending an hour or more of your day plus your hard earned cash for a pedi that looks and lasts as long like a home job.

Sadly, one negative thing about a professional pedicure is the possibility of cross-contamination concerning the utensils that are used. I am absolutely certain I picked up a fungus from having my toes done in a salon. The salon itself was new, clean, and I loved my technician - but, things are only as clean as the instruments. You can google some nasty details online if you really want to scare yourself but for now, I've said no to salons.

I do my own pedicures following the steps I saw my techician use: clip, file and shape not too rounded at the corners, file and buff calluses, lotions, base coat, two coats polish, top coat, maintenance. I use OPI products like she did and the results, although not as relaxing :p are satisfactory.

I don't get them done often but my DD and I found a place a block from where we live and they give you your own set of tools (files and things they do not santize) So I don't worry to much about it. Never had a bad experience there. Although have had bad experiences in the past at another place close by and we never went back!

I didn't get fungi, but I got ingrown toenails both times because they clipped the sides of my toenails, and they trimmed both of our cuticles to the point of bleeding at the second one. I'm pretty much over it at this point (these were different salons).

I do prefer China Glaze to OPI, but I can't explain exactly why. I think a lot of it is that I like their colors better.

One thing I have noticed- they slop on the polish. I'm pretty sure the beauty magazine "multiple thin coats are better" thing is BS, because when you do two thick coats, it really does look better and last longer. It takes longer to dry, but the result is worth it.

I am completely inept when it comes to doing my own mani-pedis. I far prefer having them done at a salon. They are a rare treat for me. I have very thin nails that break easily. I usually clip them to the quick once a week and leave them naked, but I am trying to get my nails to grow for the cruise so I have been investing in shellac manis this month.

The first one barely lasted 5 days before they began cracking and peeling. I talked to a few friends and did some research and then went to a salon a friend recommended. The second salon was absolutely meticulous about making sure the shellac was applied and dried properly (as opposed to on my cuticles, which the first salon did, which is why they peeled) and they are beautiful and glossy a week later, and I have not been sparing them the abuse.

Definitely going back. Also, I love spa pedis.

This is from a woman of a certain age who has not seen her feet in a few years and who somehow has arms that have shorten so the clipper does not reach. And the eyes need telescopes to bring the 10 little things into the focus:p Pedicures are a necessity and I am sticking to that story:D

Ask your friends who they use. Ask your foot doctor -- they don't like cleaning up pedicure disasters. Pay attention to others with great manicures (or in sandles the toes!) and ask them where they got them done. Find a good technician and treat them royally. Be loyal and keep your feet in good shape -- it is excellent for your health, your mood and happy feet are the best preparation I can think of for a happy vacation. Really a pedicure is serious because a bad one can harm your feet!

I am terrible at doing it myself. But when I go, i bring my own tools. I don't trust their sanitizers, and there are things they can't sanitize. I did buy professional quality tools though, and I've had several manicurists comment that they are better than their own tools. This way, I'm the only one using it, and I know how clean t hey are. Nobody has given me a hard time about it, and I've inspired several others to do the same. You can also use your own color so you'll have it for touch ups.

This is from a woman of a certain age who has not seen her feet in a few years and who somehow has arms that have shorten so the clipper does not reach. And the eyes need telescopes to bring the 10 little things into the focus:p Pedicures are a necessity and I am sticking to that story:D

Ask your friends who they use. Ask your foot doctor -- they don't like cleaning up pedicure disasters. Pay attention to others with great manicures (or in sandles the toes!) and ask them where they got them done. Find a good technician and treat them royally. Be loyal and keep your feet in good shape -- it is excellent for your health, your mood and happy feet are the best preparation I can think of for a happy vacation. Really a pedicure is serious because a bad one can harm your feet!

love your sense of humor! Today I made an appt to visit the podiatrist in a week for another cortisone shot in my one heel that gives me trouble. It helps with all the walking on vacation. I brought up subject of pedicures to receptionist and she suggested that I skip it and only get a pro manicure this trip. She said they get several new patients every month from those who get a first/infrequent pedicure shortly before leaving on vacation and come back with lots of blisters or worse because they've lost the protective layer of callaouses they're used to having. They suggest patients ease into it with a pedicure a month beforehand then another right beforehand. Guess i'll be using my ped egg lol and painting my own toe nails.

The reason I go to a pro is that when I paint my own nails I can somehow get polish on my elbows. I've cut my toenails too short too often, my manicurist does a great job every time. My pedi lasts 4 weeks no matter what and I have them done every 4 weeks.

It's a simple pleasure I indulge in and I think it's worth it.

I have a hard time understanding why a manicurist would spread infection, unless they are unlicensed, or simply lazy. The training in manicure school is strictly for consumer safety, the skill with the actual mani/pedi is learned after the basics.

My manicurist uses a fresh, disposable bowl liner for everyone, a new file every time, her tools are all sanitized. Having worked in the hair industry for years and owning a salon where I employed a manicurist I am well aware what needs to be done.

I love professional mani-pedis, but I don't get them on a regular basis because it's hard to justify the cost.

If you do your own nails, don't skip a primer coat underneath and a top coat over your color. When a pro does it, she does it right. You can't expect the same results unless you go through all the steps too.

Having said that, I have just one hint about having a pro do your nails: The toes are no problem, but I'm SO BAD about nicking my fingernails and putting a "bad spot" on my nails before I even leave the salon. One way to be extra-careful and prevent this is to walk in with your money (pre-counted, enough for a tip) or your credit card tucked into the back of your wallet or a shirt pocket or somewhere EASY TO REACH. Searching through my purse for my wallet, unzipping it, pulling out a credit card . . . it's just more than I can handle without at least one little oops to my just-painted nails.

Another thing I like: Those Sally Hansen nail strips. At $8.50 they're much more expensive than a good bottle of polish, but they're still cheaper than a professional manicure. The result is THICKER than polish and I've never chipped one -- the finish is still PERFECT by the time my nails grow out. The first time I did it, I finagled the stuff so that I had enough to have flower-y toes as well as fingers (yes, out of one package!). I discovered that flowers on your fingers are cool, while flowers on your toes are just weird.

And one more thing on this topic: My grandmother cannot care for her own toenails anymore, but her insurance will pay for her to have the podiatrist trim her nails. She was doing this, but once she discovered that the co-pay was about the same as a trip to the nail salon, she never went back to the doctor again. Now she gives us all nail appointments for birthdays and other occasions, and we think it's great.

For some reason, a salon manicure is smoother than what I can do myself, and it lasts at least 10 days. I usually just get a polish change (about $10 for either hands or feet) because I don't have any skin or cuticle issues. The salon that I go to has a combination fan/UVlight dryer, and it helps my nails to dry quicker and harder.

To me, getting a pedicure in a spa chair is the equivalent of going to a psychiatrist! It is relaxing and provides a feeling of well being and costs a lot less.

I get a manicure (acrylic) every 2 weeks and a pedicure when needed but especially before a cruise.

On long cruises I usually get a manicure which costs more than double what I pay in Chicago, but I don't want my hands to look ragged.

Archived