Viking River cruise on Danube during Christmas

Cheekysnana

We just booked a December 8th,2012 Romantic Danube cruise with Viking. I have always wanted to go to Germany during Christmas. I have questions about:

- smoking on board ( we are nonsmokers )

-are cruise tours interesting, or can other tours be had

- how cold is it, really?

Looking forward to hearing comments.

Anyone else doing this cruise?

We just booked the same cruise the week before you (Dec 1).

We did a Christmas cruise last year on the Rhine and found the weather just about perfect. Cool, crisp, occasional light rain, but no problem at all.

The real problem is that you never know what the winter weather will be (no different than here, I guess).

We heard that in 2010 Europe experienced one of it's worse winters in recent memory.

I believe someone posted that they had 20 inches of snow during a 2010 trip and in 2011 we were walking around on some days with an open jacket.

If I may be so bold, you will love the Christmas river cruise.

We did the first as a lark and liked it so much within a few months of getting back we booked another.

Have a wonderful trip!

We just booked the same cruise the week before you (Dec 1).

We did a Christmas cruise last year on the Rhine and found the weather just about perfect. Cool, crisp, occasional light rain, but no problem at all.

The real problem is that you never know what the winter weather will be (no different than here, I guess).

We heard that in 2010 Europe experienced one of it's worse winters in recent memory.

I believe someone posted that they had 20 inches of snow during a 2010 trip and in 2011 we were walking around on some days with an open jacket.

We did the first as a lark and liked it so much within a few months of getting back we booked another.

Have a wonderful trip!

I assume you are on the Njord for Dec 1 cruise? We also are going then, and I started a roll call HERE. Come join us!

Cheers,

We have done 2 Christmas market cruises with a 3rd one booked. On the first cruise it was damp and chilly but not overly so. We were on the Danube in 2010 and ended up spending an extra unscheduled week in Germany because of the snow. Since we are from Florida, it was something we had never really seen before. We did use our thermal underwear.Also scarfs, gloves, vests, etc. The bonus of a Christmas cruise, is that you still get to see the sights that all the other cruises see, but you have the beauty and enchantment of Europe during Christmas.

@ drcpa =- - we were on the Rhine last November (2011) and had to leave the ship and stay in hotels as the river was at extreme lows. Hopefully with the snow of this winter, river levels will be higher.

The weather mid-November on the Rhine (2011) was cold...and windy. The frost when we visited a castle in the mountain was so heavy it appeared to be snowing with blue sky above! The tours for the most part of good...the walking ones as you are docked in a town are good to get your bearings...then go off on your own!

We are off on a Romantic Danube in early November ...

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

The concerts are usually held in the Imperial Library Opera House in the Hofburg Palace building. I am a classical music lover and a bit of a snob, and I was very impressed with the quality of the orchestra and musicians dressed in period costumes. They played Viennese waltzes by Strauss as well as popular arias from Puccini, Donizetti, and Verdi operas. You can buy their CD to have as a memory after the concert. There is open seating and the seats are not that comfortable, and if you wear heavy coats you check them beforehand. A very worthwhile evening, even though you get the feeling that these concerts are catered to river cruise audiences.

Have a wonderful trip!

That was me and yes, in 2010 we had over 20 inches of snow on an early December cruise. It was beautiful but sloppy. Last year we went the week between Christmas and New Years and had very mild weather from Prague to Vienna.

We have been to the markets 7 times, 2 by ship and the rest on our own using public transport. Weather is completely unpredictable and we have seen it all. Pack in layers, be ready for rain and make sure you take appropriate foot wear and jackets to keep you warm and dry.

The markets are simply magical and we are going again this year.

As for tours, it is a mixed bag. We generally prefer to explore on our own so we can move at our own pace and see what we want to see. Whether the tours are interesting is a matter of taste IMO and also what the tour is covering. They are most often walking tours of about 90 minutes duration. We have never booked optionals as we find we can do better on our own and prefer not to travel in groups.

• 3 weeks later...
We just booked a December 8th,2012 Romantic Danube cruise with Viking. I have always wanted to go to Germany during Christmas. I have questions about:

We will be booking Dec 8, 2012 on the Odin, from Nurenberg to Budapest with pre in Prague and post in Budapest. Does anyone have any opinion about the post in Budapest, 4 nights (2 on the ship and 2 nights at hotel). Is there enough to see? This is our first river cruise with many large ship cruises. We look forward to hearing from anyone on this cruise. We will be flying from JFK, New York. Judy and Robert

• 2 months later...

Regarding smoking...we've been on river cruises using 4 different cruise lines and as far as I know smoking is not allowed except outside on the top deck. I don't know about smoking on balconies or terraces on some of the newer ships tho ;(.

We will be booking Dec 8, 2012 on the Odin, from Nurenberg to Budapest with pre in Prague and post in Budapest. Does anyone have any opinion about the post in Budapest, 4 nights (2 on the ship and 2 nights at hotel). Is there enough to see? This is our first river cruise with many large ship cruises. We look forward to hearing from anyone on this cruise. We will be flying from JFK, New York. Judy and Robert

Hi there -

IMHO, four days isn't long enough in Budapest at any time... and especially if you add in the excitement of the Christmas markets!!

We were in Budapest for the 1st time in 2009. We spent 2+ days there, and barely scratched the surface. We are going again next year - at the end of a cruise - and added on an extra day to get 3 full days. Still not sure that we have enough time - but it is all we can manage.

Budapest is a beautiful city.

Enjoy!!

Fran

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We're booked on Freya the same dates as you. We'll be flying from PHX and spending a few days in Prague before the cruise. This is our first river cruise, but we saw Christmas markets in France and Spain last year while on a Seabourn cruise. They were outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...
We will also be on the Freya leaving Nuremburg on Dec. 9. I am concerned about having the right footwear, coat, for any kind of weather. Anyone have any suggestions for comfy waterproof walking shoes, etc?

We are often in Europe in December. My favorite boots are Sorels, which I purchased last year and wore with great success on 2 winter trips to Europe in 2011. Bought my husband a pair and he has been equally pleased.

Shoes would not have been sufficient for several of our trips, as we had 22 inches of snow in 2010 and in previous years have had weather ranging from just cold, to rainy, to snowy.

We both pack down coats, gloves, ear muffs, hats, boots and also a pair of waterproof walking shoes. Merrell, Cole Haan and Ecco are all good choices as is Rockport for men.

OHHH I'm so confused. Here I have been thinking that we were sailing on the 8th of Dec. But it is the 9th. thanks... We are flying to Brussels on Dec.3rd. Then off to Nuremburg for 2 nights before the sailing. I have Uggs (boots) that I hope will be good for walking. Then I got myself a pair of LLBean shoes.

We are Frank & Denise and look forward to meeting you.

Archived