Captain dinner

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:47 AM.
Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Do you mean the formal or gala dining night where the Captain might be in attendance to greet passengers? Or dinner with the Captain, which would always be formal? What cruise line?

A little clarity would help....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

New York City
7,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
If you are invited to the Captain's Table I would wear either a suit or a blazer, slacks and tie.

We had the great honor to dine at the Captain's table on Explorer of the Seas and everyone was decked out.

Jonathan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Liberty of the Seas Review - 8/22/15
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2253857

Live from the Explorer of the Seas - 2/16/14
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990840

Live from the Noordam Transatlantic - 4/5/08
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=749667

2017 - Anthem of the Seas - 2016 - Regal Princess -
2016 - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - 2015 RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2014 - RCCL Quantum of the Seas - 2014 RCCL Explorer of the Seas
2011 - Cunard - Queen Elizabeth - 2010 Celebrity Summit
2009 - Cunard QM2 - 2008 - HAL Eurodam - 2008 HAL Noordam
2007 - HAL Noordam - 2006 - Cunard QM2 - 2006 Cunard QM2
2005 - Cunard QM2 - 2004 Cunard QM2 - 2003 - Cunard QE2
1979 - Royal Viking Line - 1976 - Mississippi Queen - 1974 HAL Rotterdam
1973 - SS France - 1972 - Cunard QE2- 1971 - Cunard QE2 -
1970 - Cunard Franconia - 1969 - Leonard Da Vinci

Royal Carribean Cruise Line - Platinum
Cunard Line - Platinum
Central Ohio
1,857 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
It looks as though OP is going on Serenade of the Seas. I can't help with that one
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

2016 - Carnival Sunshine (CA/NE)
2015 - Carnival Paradise
2014 - Carnival Elation
2012 - Carnival Sensation
5 Posts
Joined May 2017
Originally posted by leaveitallbehind
Do you mean the formal or gala dining night where the Captain might be in attendance to greet passengers? Or dinner with the Captain, which would always be formal? What cruise line?

We are going on royal Caribbean cruise in September I meant formal night

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
Long Island ,NY
2,791 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Royal Caribbean no longer has mandatory formal nights .On my last RCI cruise 4 months ago people wore tee shirts during dinner in the MDR.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by marlg
We are going on royal Caribbean cruise in September I meant formal night

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app
Formal night is only a suggested attire that can be as formal or informal as you want, but typically would be nice clothing. Slacks and a nice polo or shirt to a tuxedo for men is fine - comparable wear for women. Tee shirts, shorts, etc., IMO would be under dressed for dinner on any night in the MDR. On a seven night cruise you will have two formal nights. Enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014

dinner with Captain - always formal? Can't remember ever seeing that in the "cruise rule book."
A more realistic guideline would be something along the lines of "dress for success" or my favorite, "country club casual."
There are multiple starred Michelin restaurants in most cosmopolitan cities where you will find not a single dinner patron in a suit. Of course, they also won't be wearing shorts, wife-beaters, or backwards turned baseball caps with price tags intact.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Flatbush Flyer
dinner with Captain - always formal? Can't remember ever seeing that in the "cruise rule book."
A more realistic guideline would be something along the lines of "dress for success" or my favorite, "country club casual."
There are multiple starred Michelin restaurants in most cosmopolitan cities where you will find not a single dinner patron in a suit. Of course, they also won't be wearing shorts, wife-beaters, or backwards turned baseball caps with price tags intact.

IMO, proper etiquette. If you are invited to the Captain's table - which is what I meant by dinner with the Captain - the attire should be formal. He will be. Maybe not in a "cruise rule book" but IMO the correct dress.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

Las Vegas
10,713 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
IMO, proper etiquette. If you are invited to the Captain's table - which is what I meant by dinner with the Captain - the attire should be formal. He will be. Maybe not in a "cruise rule book" but IMO the correct dress.
So are you suggesting that we bring formal wear with us just in case we are invited to the captain's table. If we are not invited to the captain's table, we can just leave it in our suitcase. Not a good plan in my opinion.

DON
Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by donaldsc
So are you suggesting that we bring formal wear with us just in case we are invited to the captain's table. If we are not invited to the captain's table, we can just leave it in our suitcase. Not a good plan in my opinion.

DON
I'm not suggesting anything - nor do I understand where you would draw that conclusion. I am only stating my opinion of what the proper dress would be for that. No plan offered.

To your point I agree - if you don't want to bring formal wear in the first place, it would make very little sense to bring it only for dinner with the Captain on the extremely long odds that you would be invited in the first place. Would not suggest that at all. Besides there are other options - a guy can rent a tux if he wants (seen that done), wear what he has (my opinion of what to wear is just that - my opinion), or decline the invitation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sorry, but, when it comes to "dressing up" for dinner out, you are decades behind the times (particularly here on the "left coast").
Again, and with the understanding that I am not suggesting dressing like the slobs that are sometimes described here on CC, what would be proper etiquette for any "served" dinner on a ship is to dress as you would for fine dining in any major metro area. And, that does not translate to "tie and jacket."
As for the Captain's invitation, please be reminded that, beyond getting you from A to B with the utmost concern for the safety of all on board, the Captain's other main job is to run an operation that will convince you to be a repeat customer. If s/he wants to "honor" me with a dinner invitation, s/he is welcome to wear whatever. All I expect or want is an opportunity to share "sea stories."

Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Sorry, but, when it comes to "dressing up" for dinner out, you are decades behind the times (particularly here on the "left coast").
Again, and with the understanding that I am not suggesting dressing like the slobs that are sometimes described here on CC, what would be proper etiquette for any "served" dinner on a ship is to dress as you would for fine dining in any major metro area. And, that does not translate to "tie and jacket."
As for the Captain's invitation, please be reminded that, beyond getting you from A to B with the utmost concern for the safety of all on board, the Captain's other main job is to run an operation that will convince you to be a repeat customer. If s/he wants to "honor" me with a dinner invitation, s/he is welcome to wear whatever. All I expect or want is an opportunity to share "sea stories."

Well the fact of the matter is I have not brought any formal wear on a cruise in some years, so I am not decades behind anything. But in my experience those in attendance with the Captain at his table for dinner have dressed formally for the occasion. And again, it is just my opinion of what I think would be appropriate. Certainly not worth all the debate - it was just a comment to the OP. But thanks for the guidance......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

Texas Gulf Coast
2,671 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
On most mass market cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Carnival you won't see the captain in the dining room, much less be invited to dine with him.
Formal night dress ranges from khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt to a random tux here or there.
Jacket and tie is not required on either cruise line.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
Philly burbs, PA.
10,940 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by BallFour4
On most mass market cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Carnival you won't see the captain in the dining room, much less be invited to dine with him.
Formal night dress ranges from khakis and a Tommy Bahama style shirt to a random tux here or there.
Jacket and tie is not required on either cruise line.

Well you may be right that might be the case these days - and we rarely eat in the MDR anymore so I certainly can't say I've seen it recently. But there was a time where this would happen frequently on RCI - we witnessed it many times in our earlier years of cruising. But a lot has changed over the years....
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI/Celebrity cruises:
Sovereign
Majesty (twice)
Adventure (3 times)
Voyager
Navigator (twice)
Mariner
Serenade
Jewel
Oasis (twice)
Explorer (twice)
Independence (twice)
Freedom
Allure
Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox 7/17
Anthem 8/17
Harmony 3/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19

Upcoming:

Texas Gulf Coast
2,671 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Well you may be right that might be the case these days - and we rarely eat in the MDR anymore so I certainly can't say I've seen it recently. But there was a time where this would happen frequently on RCI - we witnessed it many times in our earlier years of cruising. But a lot has changed over the years....

First cruise was in 76, most recent was January. We've seen it all.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Mardi Gras1976 - Magic, Liberty, Triumph and Freedom in 2016, thirty-three others in between aboard the Celebration, Ecstasy, Elation, Conquest, Imagination, Glory, Splendour, Rhapsody, Freedom, Majesty and Navigator of the Seas sailing to Canada and the Caribbean.
One hand on the starboard rail...
North Carolina Coast!, USA
5,832 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Thus is usually the 2nd night of the cruise. Nowadays the captain might eat in the main dining room but only with officers, not passengers. The captain and the officers will be usually in the atrium to meet all the passengers and have his picture taken with him (which you have to buy) on this night.
VERY few men wear tuxes now ,some a suit and some just Dockers and a polo shirt. Ladies maybe more formal. We have had tablemates say they have to eat in the buffet this night because they didn't bring formal wear. We talk them into coming to the dining room and are always thanked for telling them to come. This is the night they serve lobster and prime rib. If you want both., just order then both or order 2 or 3 lobsters!

What ship are you going on? The photographers are around to take pictures of you when you are more formally dressed.

You can always see what people are wearing before you go to the dining room. Anytime, freestyle, or what ever they call it for just going to one dining room,starts at 5:30 so just see what men are wearing to the dining room.

We have been cruising for 30+ years. My husband used to wear his tux, then just a suit and when we started cruising, 'informal' meant men did not have to wear a tie with their jacket to dinner! Now he doesn't even wear a jacket and he never feels out of place.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
CRUISE LINES
Dolphin
Commodore
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa
The Big Easy
18,611 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I totally agree with you. In fact, on the occasions we are invited to dine with the captain on both RCI and Celebrity, it was stated to us that a jacket was required.

I can't imagine sitting next to ships officers, dressed in their dress whites, while I'm wearing country club casual. That would be a little rude. Then again, maybe it's that sense of civility that keeps me living on the "right coast."
Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Aquahound
I totally agree with you. In fact, on the occasions we are invited to dine with the captain on both RCI and Celebrity, it was stated to us that a jacket was required.

I can't imagine sitting next to ships officers, dressed in their dress whites, while I'm wearing country club casual. That would be a little rude. Then again, maybe it's that sense of civility that keeps me living on the "right coast."

Seriously?

It would be somewhat ridiculous for folks who fly to cruises to pack a dinner jacket for a cruise line that proudly bills/markets its passenger dress standard as "country club casual" solely on the off chance that the captain will invite him to dinner (only to have the dress standard instantaneously change).

Of course, such a cruise line will not have photographers hawking pix with the captain and will seldom find folks dressed inappropriately for dinner (i.e., shorts, tees, caps, etc). Thus, there is no need to have " jacket required" at a dinner whose sole purpose(s) relate to post #12 above.

As for "dress dinner whites," and with the understanding that worldwide merchant marines may have all sorts of varying company dress standards, understand that the commonly accepted "civilian" equivalent of US military "dress dinner whites (or blues)" is "tuxedo and black tie." However, it is the dinner milieu/event and organizational culture that sets any dress standard rather than any individual participant(s). So, it could easily be said that any officer who chooses to wear "dress whites" at a dinner on a ship that prides/advertises itself on having no requirement for jackets/ties/etc. and SERVING its passengers OR (somewhat confusing) has contradictory and/or non-existent standards (e.g., "formal" or "smart casual" nights on some mass market lines) may, in fact, be overdressed.

Bottom line on a cruise ship: Who is there to serve who?

The Big Easy
18,611 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Seriously?

It would be somewhat ridiculous for folks who fly to cruises to pack a dinner jacket for a cruise line that proudly bills/markets its passenger dress standard as "country club casual" solely on the off chance that the captain will invite him to dinner (only to have the dress standard instantaneously change).

Of course, such a cruise line will not have photographers hawking pix with the captain and will seldom find folks dressed inappropriately for dinner (i.e., shorts, tees, caps, etc). Thus, there is no need to have " jacket required" at a dinner whose sole purpose(s) relate to post #12 above.

As for "dress dinner whites," and with the understanding that worldwide merchant marines may have all sorts of varying company dress standards, understand that the commonly accepted "civilian" equivalent of US military "dress dinner whites (or blues)" is "tuxedo and black tie." However, it is the dinner milieu/event and organizational culture that sets any dress standard rather than any individual participant(s). So, it could easily be said that any officer who chooses to wear "dress whites" at a dinner on a ship that prides/advertises itself on having no requirement for jackets/ties/etc. and SERVING its passengers OR (somewhat confusing) has contradictory and/or non-existent standards (e.g., "formal" or "smart casual" nights on some mass market lines) may, in fact, be overdressed.

Bottom line on a cruise ship: Who is there to serve who?
Yes. Seriously.

The OP is going on Royal Caribbean. Royal Caribbean still has formal nights. The OP asked a very simple question...."what's appropriate wear?" RCI requests a dinner jacket when dining with the ships officers on formal night. Therefore, the correct answer is that formal wear is the appropriate wear.

Argue the rest all you want but it does not change the right answer.