Oasis spotting -- will you be there?

I've been reading in this forum about all the places people can go to watch Oasis of the Seas arrive in Ft. Lauderdale. So I'm curious...who's going, and where are you going to watch? Will you attend Royal Caribbean's official welcome party at the Jetty Pavilion at John Lloyd Beach State Park? Do you have an "in" to a great viewing spot? Let us know!

I'll (most likely) be there on the rocks watching her come in. It's times like this i wish i had a jet ski...;)

Well, actually ... I think the Port is restricting all traffic that day (skis, kayaks too) without some type of permit.

You could always zip around her in the ocean!

Now, I might be insane wrong (wouldn't be the first time) ... but I think this is the case.

I posted a detailed thread regarding parking, places to watch in this forum area.

Wish I could have a party here... going to be WAAAAYY too busy that morn.

Haha i can imagine. If i had a jet ski i would for sure cruise around her in the ocean. Would be pretty cool i think. :-)

Trust me its very tempting, if I wasn't working on getting this timelapse I would be out there. If she wasn't coming in so early a good friend would be out there in his boat greeting her out in the ocean too.

I would love to get some video of her a few miles out at sea on the Jet ski.... If I could just clone myself hehe.

Trust me its very tempting, if I wasn't working on getting this timelapse I would be out there. If she wasn't coming in so early a good friend would be out there in his boat greeting her out in the ocean too.

I would love to get some video of her a few miles out at sea on the Jet ski.... If I could just clone myself hehe.

Have they said what time she will be coming in?

Have they said what time she will be coming in?

The countdown clock on http://www.oasisoftheseas.com says that she will be arriving at 9:30AM local time (EST), but the Port Everglades Harbor Master Report says that Oasis will get in at 9:00AM.

To be safe I'll be tuned in to the live stream as soon as I get a chance Friday morning :p

The countdown clock on http://www.oasisoftheseas.com says that she will be arriving at 9:30AM local time (EST), but the Port Everglades Harbor Master Report says that Oasis will get in at 9:00AM.

To be safe I'll be tuned in to the live stream as soon as I get a chance Friday morning :p

Thank for that info I wasnt at that site today as I am having trouble with choppy video.

I tried to get access to a better viewing area than the park, but security is extra tight and I was not able to work anything out. So I will be at the park and since RCL is sponsoring a party it should be a lot of fun. I thought the ship was still supposed to arrive at 8am, so I will check with the port to see if they have adjusted the time.

I'm surprised they wouldn't go for 8am. GMA goes from 7-9 so an 8am targeted arrival would give them the perfect timing to be featured on the show. When the Freedom arrived in NYC a few years ago they timed it with the Today Show so they could have live shots to promote the ship and onboard broadcast. The Today Show goes till 11am now so maybe they will still get a show of her anyway, there has to be a FL NBC affiliate filming it. The Today show struggled to show the Freedom in 3 hours so how are they going to show Oasis in 2 now. Should have stuck with the now 4 hour Today for this behemoth.

OK now I'm getting confused.

Isn't GMA showing her next week. Are they also doing her coming in live?

:confused:

When the Today Show broadcast from onboard Freedom they showed her arrival live on the air as a way to promote the upcoming special. If the posts about the time being changed to 9 or 9:30 are true GMA will unfortunately be off the air already and unable to broadcast it.

Here's the word from Royal Caribbean on Oasis' schedule on Friday:

6:30 am -- Oasis is visible from the shoreline

8 am -- Oasis arrives at mouth of inlet

8:30 am -- Oasis is positioned inside basin

9 am -- Berthing at Terminal 18

Hope this helps you plan you ship watching!

Erica thanks so much for the info. I wasn't going to get there until 8 am as I thought the ship was not going to arrive until 9 am. I would have been too late to have seen it from the beach.

I really appreciate you posting this.

Went over to the 17th st Bridge to do some scouting, here are some cruddy cell phone photo's of the view which should be awesome on Friday:

4094486234_111bed9467_b.jpg

View of Pier 18 in the distance, directly behind the large black crane.

View of the inlet where Oasis will be arriving....

4094487024_62ba618f1e_b.jpg

The Bridge has two viewing areas which seem to be able to fit about 20 people each.

I need some help from my peeps in Ft. Lauderdale! Cruise Critic isn't sending an editor down to Florida to watch Oasis' arrival (we're waiting for the preview cruises/christening instead), but we'd love to get some firsthand accounts of the ship's arrival.

If you are going to watch the ship sail in on Friday, and would be willing to have our UK Editor Kelly call you that morning to get your impressions of the event and description of the scene, please email your cell phone number to me at erica at cruisecritic dot com. Anyone we talk to will get some Cruise Critic swag as a thank you from us for providing us with "local color." We truly appreciate all the help our members give us.

Archived