Walking to Terminal from Penn Station?

theantireality

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are very excited for our upcoming cruise out of NYC on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving May 17th. We are taking the train into the city and will arrive at Penn Station around 9am. I was thinking that we could be kind of leisurely in making our way to the ship since we have plenty of time. So we may wander around a bit, find somewhere to eat breakfast, and were considering walking to the ship. We will each only have one carry-on sized rolling bag and it might be nice to walk after our train trip. Google maps says that it should be less than a 20 min walk. Has anyone done this before? How long did it take/how far is it? Is it a relatively safe part of the city to be walking through?

Thanks!

I've never done it, but it isn't far. A 20-30 minute walk sounds about right. Taxis seem to take a slightly different route each time (construction, street closures, etc), but the neighborhoods always look pretty safe to me: lots of people on the street but no concentrated groups, a lot of shops and restaurants, nothing looked burned out. The worst I remember seeing was a couple of boarded-up windows. It was mostly just normal urban stuff you'd see in any city.

I would allow 30 minutes. I walk all over NYC, miles and miles (no problem walking from the Battery to Times Square :) ) So it depends on the person.

Walking from Penn, I would head down 34th, to 12th then walk along the Hudson. The ship will be in front of you. :) If you want a look at Times Square, then walk down 7th, then down however far you get 42nd and higher, again to 12th Ave. Ship will be viewable. :)

Hey you can totally walk from Penn station to the pier. It's not a bad area and I have done the walk before when we first cruised (we ended up getting a ride in from family) just to see how long it would be. I can't remember how long it took us but it was not that bad at all. I would recommend walking down 42nd, there is more businesses and places to eat along that way.

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are very excited for our upcoming cruise out of NYC on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving May 17th. We are taking the train into the city and will arrive at Penn Station around 9am. I was thinking that we could be kind of leisurely in making our way to the ship since we have plenty of time. So we may wander around a bit, find somewhere to eat breakfast, and were considering walking to the ship. We will each only have one carry-on sized rolling bag and it might be nice to walk after our train trip. Google maps says that it should be less than a 20 min walk. Has anyone done this before? How long did it take/how far is it? Is it a relatively safe part of the city to be walking through?

Thanks!

I found a web site that lists the top 10 breakfasts in NYC. Here is the link. Hope it helps.

http://www.triposo.com/wander/2014/01/08/top-10-breakfast-new-york-city/

Whatever route you take note that you can enter the outside service elevator at 48th & 12th. Tell the elevator man to take you to 2nd floor to give your

bags to the porters outside..,.very easy to do- I have done it.

Whatever route you take note that you can enter the outside service elevator at 48th & 12th. Tell the elevator man to take you to 2nd floor to give your

bags to the porters outside..,.very easy to do- I have done it.

When you disembark, what street will you be coming out from since someone is picking you up?

Good point about those rollers - typical retail/house brand luggage sold have limited warranty & they aren't designed for the bumpy sidewalks of NYC, for OP arriving NYP at 9 am, still a bit early to stumble into the pier after a quick breakfast.

The leisure "uptown" walk on 8th. or 9th. Avenue is probably a bit nicer & more scenic with places to stop for breakfast, local coffee shop vs. old McD's or Dunkins D's - than to go across to 12th. Avenue & up the waterfront as there are few if any places to eat with that routing.

The M20 local bus run is northbound along 8th Avenue but it will likely remained packed at 9:15 am and not luggage friendly with the AM rush crowds heading for work, etc. (closest stop at W. 46th or W. 49th Street to the pier)