Anchorage Area- Severe Weather Alert

steimey

And this is why you need to be prepared for everything...

Special Weather Statement - SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR ANCHORAGE VALID FROM MON JUN 05 2006 06:13 PM ADT UNTIL TUE JUN 06 2006 03:00 PM ADT.

...TEMPERATURES OF 32 DEGREES OR BELOW EXPECTED TONIGHT FOR ANCHORAGE...MATANUSKA VALLEY...AND KENAI PENINSULA... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE ALASKA IS FORECASTING TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S FOR AREAS IN THE MATANUSKA VALLEY...ANCHORAGE AND THE KENAI PENINSULA. A COLD AIR MASS REACHED THE SOUTHCENTRAL REGION OVER THE WEEKEND. YESTERDAY TEMPERATURES IN THESE REGIONS REACHED AS LOW AS 23 DEGREES. LACK OF OVERNIGHT CLOUD COVER AND THE COLD AIR MASS OVER THE REGION SHOULD CAUSE SIMILAR COLD TEMPERATURES TODAY...ESPECIALLY FOR INLAND AREAS SUCH AS SOLDOTNA AND THE EAST SIDE OF ANCHORAGE OR HIGHER ELEVATIONS. MOST OF THIS AREA WILL HAVE TEMPERATURES REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING BUT ISOLATED COLD POCKETS WILL OCCUR. RESIDENTS OF THESE AREAS SHOULD TAKE CARE TO COVER ANY CROPS OR BEDDING PLANTS THAT MAY BE UNPROTECTED.

Yeah that was the warning last night too for the east side of town, bring in the plants if you could.

Actually it's not suppose to get as cold tonight as it did last night. Just called time and temp and at 3:36 p.m. ADT it's 62, so of course no coat for me today.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thanks for the reminder...with all the report of early warm temps it would be so easy to 'foget' the weather resistant jacket with fleece lining for our late July/early August land and cruise visit to Alaska. I will include it for sure!

Just got back yesterday and have to say that we were very happy that we packed EVERYTHING!:D On the ride up to Denali from Anchorage it started to snow (only a dusting, but still it was cold and windy). Our day in Denali National Park was very cold (in the low 30s and wind chill) and some flurries. I wore my ski jacket and snow boots. Then the next day it was warm:confused: Wore a light fleece and short sleeved top. We were laughing that we were Girl Scouts and were "Prepared"

Archived