Sea day activities

elou

Hi, just wondering-----I've been on 2 Caribbean 7 night out of Ft. Lauderdale. Since I do not like gambling or sitting by the pool, I get quite bored. HAL seems to have an occasional trivia or arts and crafts. Also, since I do not like cooking, I do not attend them. Does the 10 night southern Caribbean have anything more to offer (ie. lectures),more trivia, etc? Thanks.

Wow. I love sea days. Here is what I do: nap, read (a lot!), write, talk to people, eat, spend a little time in the gym or walking around the deck, staring at the ocean while my blood pressure drops to normal and the knot in my neck disappears for the first time since I was last on a ship.

We have done a lot of Caribbean cruises -- southern ones as well -- no lecturers.

There are wine tastings -- $15 per person for the Navigator one and $35 per person for the Premium one -- they also add on a 15% gratuity.

Some ships will have a second Trivia game -- usually at a time when we are eating dinner.

We are among those who on sea days love to read while watching the ocean.

All ships show movies and you can get DVD's for your cabin -- free.

There is Bingo - not free.

In a word, no. There will be some things to do on the schedule, but since most people prefer to relax by pool or take in the views (not at the pool) the schedule isn't nearly as activity heavy as it would be on a transatlantic sea day.

HAL has really cut-back on lecturers (like many other cut backs) so you will not find them on Caribbean Cruises. They still do have lecturers on the longer cruises although there do not seem to be as many as in years past. We once had a terrific HAL cruise director who urged passengers to lobby HAL's home office not to cut-back the lecturer budget. They did not listen, still cut most of the lecturers, and later fired the CD.

Hank

wow. I love sea days. Here is what i do: Nap, read (a lot!), write, talk to people, eat, spend a little time in the gym or walking around the deck, staring at the ocean while my blood pressure drops to normal and the knot in my neck disappears for the first time since i was last on a ship.

amen!!!!!!!!!! ;)

The Kindle was, in our opinion, the best invention for sea days. Now, we can carry hundreds of books (for every mood) in a device that is smaller then a Paperback. Although we have always appreciated the wonderful HAL libraries, we now carry our own library. Since DW and I never get tired of reading, those sea days are just an opportunity.

Hank

Here is my list of things that makes sea days my FAVORITE days:

• A visit to the hydrotherapy pool and thermal suite (not this time around :( )
  • The gym (grab a treadmill by the window!)
  • All meals in the dining room
  • Reading
  • Puzzles in the Library
  • Art tour
  • On Deck for a Cure (at least once per cruise)
  • Walking the promenade
  • Falling into conversation with people in the Crow's Nest
  • Finding live music somewhere on board (usually during lunch time at the Lido Pool

Here is my list of things that makes sea days my FAVORITE days:

•  
  • Falling into conversation with people in the Crow's Nest

Ahhhh, so you are the one always making noise in the Crows Nest when others are trying to quietly read :). Gottcha!

Hank

Ahhhh, so you are the one always making noise in the Crows Nest when others are trying to quietly read :). Gottcha!

Hank

Guilty. Although, I wasn't aware it had to be quiet in the Crow's Nest. Is that an unwritten rule? :D

Our next cruise has 10 sea days. I would do a 14 day cruise with no stops. No planned activity is the best day for me!

We are looking at a 14 day cruise (not,on HAL:( ) that will only have 2 ports of call. Sounds amazing to me! LOL I love sea days. I though HAL getting rid of the New York Caribbean cruises was a bad decision. It was a wonderful itinerary.

My problem on sea days always seems to be fitting in everything I want to do! Of course I love the cooking demos, which OP says they don't. I've learned a lot in the computer classes. I've often had to choose between two activities at the same time, and barely get back to the cabin to meet my hubby for dinner, as he's been reading most of the day. I hope to do the art tour in March.