Bicycle rentals at port in Grand Cayman

stevecolchester

On past cruises with Norwegian and Princess, have seen a bike tour offered as an excursion in Grand Cayman. Tried to do it once, but they cancelled due to rain. Cruising in March on Costa and they dont have that excursion listed. Does anyone know a place convenient to the port, hopefully walking distance, where I could rent a bicycle for four hours or a day. Would like to see some different areas of of the island than just Georgetown and 7-mile... thanks for any advice you can offer...thanks.

steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, too bad nobody has responded, because I have exactly the same question. I willbe in GC next week, and my wife and I even have a 25 mile ride mapped out - with a couple snorkel stops along the way. Now we just need the bikes! I imagine it won't be too hard to find a bike rental, but I'd prefer to know where I'm going in advance. I'd appreciate knowing if you have any info yet, bit if you don't, I will post when I get back first week of Jan.

• 2 weeks later...

Bicycles

Prices vary but average about US $12 per day for a 10-speed bike and $14 for a mountain bike. Note that traffic can be extremely heavy along West Bay Road during morning and evening rush hours.

Call Cayman Cycle Rentals or stop by the offices at Coconut Place on West Bay Road, the Hyatt Regency Grand Cayman, or Treasure Island Resort, all on Seven Mile Beach. Mountain bicycles are also available for rent from Cayman Cycle Rentals.

Soto's Scooters and Car Fun Rentals also rents bikes; (345) 945-4652.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I really let this go for a long time - I said I would post a month ago and it just slipped my mind. Very sorry!

Anyway, trying to find bikes to rent in Georgetown was an adventure...that never happened. Who knew that when Christmas falls on a Friday, that Boxing Day is officially observed the following Monday? Pretty much half the businesses in Georgetown were shut down, and not a bike to rent on the whole island. No kidding - the concierge at the Marriot called all over for us, and nobody was open. So we had a nice walk up and down Seven Mile Beach, did a little snorkeling, and that was that.

HOWEVER, assuming you are not there on Boxing Day...

We were told that you can usually rent bikes at a stand just a short walk from the tender dock. If you go out of the gated trinket sales area, turn left, and walk less than a quarter mile (past the Dairy Queen but not as far as the Burger King) we were told there is stand there where there are usually bike rentals. Despite many places on the Internet that say you can rent bikes at the Treasure Island Resort, that is NOT true. They were nice, but said they don't do that any more. As I said, the concierge at the Marriot was willing to call around for us. Didn't sound like they actually rented them there at the Marriot, but she knew where to get them if it hadn't been a holiday. The Marriot was a bit of a hike from the dock - probably took us 20-25 minutes to walk that far.

If we had been able to find some bikes, my plan was to bike as far as the Stingray Brewery on the south side of the island. From what I can tell, it would have been a good ride. It's flat, the roads are pretty good for a Caribbean island, and drivers seemed pretty controlled. Saw a number of Cayman residents on mountain bikes, so it seemed pretty biker-friendly. (On the other hand, I would NOT be inclined to bike on Roatan.)

Anyway, just from what I saw, it didn't seem like it would be hard to find bikes to rent on a normal business day. But I can't (unfortunately) give you any more first-hand information than that.

We did walk to the left but it was almost a mile from the ship. Can't remember the name of the place but...............the bikes were in bad shape. We paid before we saw them and they brought them out of a storage area. My husband tried to find the two best ones, but once we took them and got about a half mile down the road, his was not working and he went back to exchange it. He said the second one wasn't much better but we did ride a bit.

We had left our credit card and both driver's licenses as required with the vendor, and when we came back to return the bikes, about an hour before our ship was to sail, the store was locked up! No note or sign, so we asked a nearby vendor and he said that she always goes to her sister's for lunch. (It was mid afternoon by then). He did call her there and she returned in time for us to make it to the ship!

We bike a lot everywhere, but wouldn't rent again unless maybe from a hotel. We are renting in Key West next week on our cruise, but that should be easy!

• 3 years later...

Hi Everyone!

I have just started the West Bay Loop Bike Trail in West Bay in Grand Cayman.

It is a 10 mile coastal Bike loop that runs through the Barkers National Park and little villages around the coast of West Bay.My minibus does pick up and drop off at the Cruise Ship Terminal. I also hire a range of Adult and Children road bikes and beach cruisers depending on what you need.

All the details are on my website, I am Cayman's only dedicated bike operation. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Richard McKee tel 345 939 0911

http://www.westbayloop.com

December 2013

• 1 month later...
Hi Everyone!

It is a 10 mile coastal Bike loop that runs through the Barkers National Park and little villages around the coast of West Bay.My minibus does pick up and drop off at the Cruise Ship Terminal. I also hire a range of Adult and Children road bikes and beach cruisers depending on what you need.

All the details are on my website, I am Cayman's only dedicated bike operation. I look forward to meeting you soon.

December 2013

We've been trying to contact you and have heard nothing there a few of us trying to find out some info . We are on a different thread "Bike Rental"

Hi Everyone!

December 2013

After numerous email attempts with no response, we ventured out to West Bay Loop Tours ($35 each way taxi ride), only to find the company has SHUT DOWN!! This occurred Jan. 29, 2014. Shame on Mr. Richard McKee for responding on Cruise Critic in December (as shown above) and for not removing his website even as of today.

• 2 months later...