Disappointing activities laid on by RCCL

NorbertsNiece

• 2 weeks later...

Cunard do not seem interested in either CC members or "single/solo" passengers, yes there is a "solo" coffe meet the first sea day, but after that the so called "hostess" is totally missing. Even on port days, all you see in the daily sheet is "singles meet at gang plank to plan your day" What use is that , meeting at the bottom of the gang plank on the day in question?

As for the CC meet, they provide nothing at all , barely even give place to meet, and the only senior officer I knew that cared enough to come and actually greet passengers individually was Commodore Warner who has retired.

Also have to say that some passengers have trouble understanding the meaning of with the word "solo".

I have attended that first sea day "solo" coffee meet to find married couples, "partners" , and up to 6 "ladies" travelling as part of a church group. Very few true "solo's".

Which is why I picked the Epic for my first cruise, and now using only the Epic (unless NCL goes crazy and changes things) for solo cruises. Studios had a daily evening meeting for drinks the entire cruise for solo (even those not in studios can attend) and usually made plans with everyone for the night (and the excursions the next morning too).

Whenever I've been on Cunard, there's been "Singles Coffee" every sea day, not just the first. As far as singles meeting at the gangway on port days, I figure that's a bit late. If a port interested me, I've done research and made tentative plans, even before I booked the cruise.

Holland America had a hosted lunch for singles every sea day. But by the end of the cruise only the single guys were still attending, not the single women. I leave you to draw your own conclusions.

The NCL Epic, while I did not especially enjoy the ship, I agree a real effort was made to accommodate singles. Otherwise, Carnival and Royal Caribbean, the singles activity scheduled was indeed pathetic.

I was on the Brilliance of the Seas from 28 November to 5 December. Cruise Compass listed a singles meet-up at 5.30 pm by the Sky Bar. I went up - there were hundreds of people up there as it was Sailaway. I wandered around but couldn't spot anyone else on their own, or anyone in charge of the meet. I gave up. There were no other singles events during the week.

That contrasts with QM2, where I met a few people at the first singles meet-up, so didn't make the time to go to the coffee mornings.

I was disappointed with RCI, and did comment on my passenger survey form.

Which is why I picked the Epic for my first cruise, and now using only the Epic (unless NCL goes crazy and changes things) for solo cruises. Studios had a daily evening meeting for drinks the entire cruise for solo (even those not in studios can attend) and usually made plans with everyone for the night (and the excursions the next morning too).

Is there a wide age-range on these ships? The studios look like a good idea, but it looks like a ship for younger people to me!

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a wide age-range on these ships? The studios look like a good idea, but it looks like a ship for younger people to me!

I wouldn't worry about the age issue. When I was on the Epic last year, there were people in the studios from 20s to 90s. A lot of us met in the living room each evening to have a couple of happy hour drinks and often go to dinner or shows together. It's a great concept for solos, and people seemed to get together regardless of age. I liked it so much I'm heading out in a studio again later this month. Really looking forward to it. I'd say it's worth a try at least once for anyone traveling alone.

I wouldn't worry about the age issue. Really looking forward to it. I'd say it's worth a try at least once for anyone traveling alone.

I've never worried about age differences, but I have found in some instances that younger people don't want to mix with older people. Thanks for your advice, I'll give this ship a try!

I have yet to see anyone from RCL at a singles meet...I've gone to several that were listed in the compass and ZIP...NADA..ZERO...as someone else said there were lot's of people in the general area..but if it was an organized actual meet I sure couldn't tell it...now I don't even bother ...

I am a 36 yr old guy and have been on several cruises on RCCL in the last 4 years. On those cruises, I don't recall there being any type of a happy hour for singles. The Compass has always had events in the clubs, but never before hand.

The party atmosphere is nice, but once in a while it would be nice to meet for drinks in the beginning to meet others to possibly form a table at dinner? I think a mix of both should be present and available.

Any thoughts?:confused:

• 9 months later...

I've just come back from my first solo cruise on Adventure of Seas and was very disappointed by the lack of meets for solo travellers. The only one posted in the CC was midnight on the first sea day in the Night Club - didn't think this was really my scene - tried to drum up enough courage to attend but didn't quite make it! Would have liked an afternoon coffee meet instead. Had a brilliant first solo cruise anyway and met some really nice people.

Every one of the cruises I've been on have offered at minimum a singles meet on the first night, and often also a "singles dance party" that same night. On a few of them, there was an additional singles meet later in the cruise. But that's all.

In every case but one, the meet had no structure, nobody from the cruise line was there, etc. In that one case (my first RCCL cruise, I believe...) there was an entertainment staff member there and for about an hour there were some icebreaker things done - but it was still pretty much a bust, and since it was held in a corner of the dance club, people kept coming and going.

In every other case, the "singles meet" tended to be a number of singles (or couples, or groups... hard to say) showing up at a bar to drink on their own or something like that. With nobody actually coordinating things, nobody actually talked with people they didn't already know. (And the "singles dance parties" were even less useful, because they invariably get overridden by non-singles, so you have no idea who is single and who isn't.)

I've often thought about bringing a sign or something to a singles meet saying "Singles Meet Here", setting it up on a table, and having name tags and/or maybe some icebreaker activities ready, so those of us who actually go to meet other singles can actually say hi to each other.

Of course, if I actually did that, it would be *that* one cruise where the staff showed up and had their own agenda... :D

Every one of the cruises I've been on have offered at minimum a singles meet on the first night, and often also a "singles dance party" that same night. On a few of them, there was an additional singles meet later in the cruise. But that's all.

In every case but one, the meet had no structure, nobody from the cruise line was there, etc. In that one case (my first RCCL cruise, I believe...) there was an entertainment staff member there and for about an hour there were some icebreaker things done - but it was still pretty much a bust, and since it was held in a corner of the dance club, people kept coming and going.

In every other case, the "singles meet" tended to be a number of singles (or couples, or groups... hard to say) showing up at a bar to drink on their own or something like that. With nobody actually coordinating things, nobody actually talked with people they didn't already know. (And the "singles dance parties" were even less useful, because they invariably get overridden by non-singles, so you have no idea who is single and who isn't.)

I've often thought about bringing a sign or something to a singles meet saying "Singles Meet Here", setting it up on a table, and having name tags and/or maybe some icebreaker activities ready, so those of us who actually go to meet other singles can actually say hi to each other.

Of course, if I actually did that, it would be *that* one cruise where the staff showed up and had their own agenda... :D

You have described perfectly what usually happens. The put no effort in to it at all. Basically you are on your own and without being organized they are usually not worth going to. I would rate them all a "F" for this and that goes for basically all the mainstream cruise-lines.

I had a completely different experience while on Voyager of the Seas in May this year. There were regular lunches for the solo travellers, and I often ended up sitting next to people I hadn't met or spoken to before.

The roll call here is great for making contact with other travellers beforehand. I linked my dining reservation with those of other singles, so at least we had a connection there.

My next cruise is on Norwegian Jade, and I know there are a couple of other solo travellers on board as they're also on the roll call. I'll see what the NCL experience is like, especially as we have a number of sea days.

anyone has any experience/comparison with how singles meets are on carnival ? better/worse/same as rccl?

About the same, in my experience - which is to say on the schedule, but with no structure or guidance. On the other hand, on my solo Carnival cruises, I've had much better luck in that they often sit us at a big table for solos for meals -- I've met far more solos that way than at singles meets.

I had a completely different experience while on Voyager of the Seas in May this year. There were regular lunches for the solo travellers, and I often ended up sitting next to people I hadn't met or spoken to before.

The roll call here is great for making contact with other travellers beforehand. I linked my dining reservation with those of other singles, so at least we had a connection there.

My next cruise is on Norwegian Jade, and I know there are a couple of other solo travellers on board as they're also on the roll call. I'll see what the NCL experience is like, especially as we have a number of sea days.

Now that *is* very different. I've never seen anything like that on the schedule on either Carnival or RCCL before. I wonder if there was something special going on there?

I also agree with you about the role call - a great way to meet people. Interesting idea about linking dining reservations with other singles.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been on a few solo trips and found the solo gatherings quite poor. On the Jade in April I happened to be at the one on the first night by chance as I was talking to someone who was also on their own and we'd started chatting after the lifeboat drill. Our station just happened to be at Tankards where the meet was happening and if not for the cruise staff member we would never have known! *LOL*

Only one person turned up legitimately for the meet :eek:

Went to the solo lunch the next day and it was ok but think that was it for the duration.

Was on Adventure of the Seas in May and think the only meets for solos were in the nightclubs so didn't bother going to them as not too confident in those situations on my own :o

Going back on Jade in January so will try the gatherings again should they have them and maybe try and make myself a bit more sociable! *LOL* :D

• 1 month later...

Did you check the bulletin board for other events, or post one yourself? I think the idea is to have an organized event early in the cruise, figuring that adults can plan their own times to meet up later. It's always a good idea to check the bulletin board. If you don't see something interesting, then just post an event yourself....they provide the cards, so just add your event.

NCL did a really good job with the studio's 5:30 informal gathering. It sets up a structure for the week and you don't go through the cruise feeling you were fed to the wolves.

Although I am on the Breakaway 9/15, I kind of wish I kept a 4/13 Epic Reservation that had a $200 in OBC (from the HSN promo last summer and Epic promo at the same time)

Only reason I wouldn't want to do the Epic again was I have seen Blue Man Group enough times, and did Cirque already, but could focus more on being outside and maybe go to Shakers- I didn't go there at all last time

Archived