Specialty Dining - How quickly do we need to book?

nolatravelgirl

I know that I can't book specialty dining till I am on board the ship, but is it a mad dash with a long line? I would hate to rush on board just to stand in a line to book dining reservations. I was hoping to enjoy our day in SJU rather than stopping in the middle of the day to go stand in line.

What is the process? How crazy is it? When do they run out of reservations?

I know that I can't book specialty dining till I am on board the ship, but is it a mad dash with a long line? I would hate to rush on board just to stand in a line to book dining reservations. I was hoping to enjoy our day in SJU rather than stopping in the middle of the day to go stand in line.

It's easy and I have never had a problem. If you want to secure your bookings early then there will be a reservations desk set up just after you check in. Otherwise lots of opportunities once you board. No lines.

I done it outside right after getting room key,. I also seen them set up on deck 4. another place is Windows and naturally in each restaurant. if you like eating 6 to 630 they seem to go fro some odd reason. we might be in port and they are eating. .getting 8 to 9 works for me everytime. you can ask for a window or waiter once you know them. all are good

I

There a usually reservations available up until the end of the cruise (might be hard to get them the last two nights). Very relaxed, don't feel pressured. When you book ask what night is white night or Azamazing evening. I think they even have the buffet schedule if you want Indian night!

Edited by Leo_On_Geo

We wanted to book Prime C but didn't want to queue to book it so day 3 of the cruise we tried to book at Windows and there was only 6pm left for 2 nights and white nights or 9pm on the last night. We were do disappointed as it was such a port-intensive cruise we didn't want to dine early so we didn't get to Prime C. I would queue and book as early as possible if I were you. Maybe fully booked by Suites???

I am in a suite and i book for every seas day and everyday we sail by 6. the other days i might call to see if i can get in or not. i tend to like 8 or 830. would take 9 if a sea day the next day. i only eat starters in general. People cancel-i have- so tables do open up at the last minute.

Do they allow people on back-to-backs to book reservations for the entire booking or just the current segment? We are in after Christmas for New Years and it seems from the roll calls for both that there are several back-to-back folks.

For a 9 pm sailing, on embarkation day, what time does one need to be on board to avoid missing the mandatory drill? (Or does Azamara do a make-up the next day for late boarders?)

Do they allow people on back-to-backs to book reservations for the entire booking or just the current segment? We are in after Christmas for New Years and it seems from the roll calls for both that there are several back-to-back folks.

go to Prime C the last night of the 1st cruise with the dates and times and you can get booked then. they get the manifest about 24 hours ahead. i book my spa and dinner the day before.

For a 9 pm sailing, on embarkation day, what time does one need to be on board to avoid missing the mandatory drill? (Or does Azamara do a make-up the next day for late boarders?)

there is a make up drill at night. i done it several times. mostly it has been at 9 as i sailed at 10. in this case i am guessing it will be at 8 or 830. .now that a guess. it must be done before before the ship moves from the dock. i got on this summer in Athens about 8 pm. i checked in early and then took off.. i ran around deck 5 and went to the drill then to my cabin and started to unpack and went to bed.

Thanks! To clarify, we are not on a back-to-back so I was wondering if it was going to be tougher to get specialty reservations if the continuing passengers had a head start on booking.

How often do they do the various Chefs Tables? And how many seats each time? I understand there are three different menus but have quite figured out the frequency or capacity.

Thanks! To clarify, we are not on a back-to-back so I was wondering if it was going to be tougher to get specialty reservations if the continuing passengers had a head start on booking.

How often do they do the various Chefs Tables? And how many seats each time? I understand there are three different menus but have quite figured out the frequency or capacity.

if they can fill them they will add them. but on a 7 to 10 day figure one each. on a 16 day i seen more than 3. Maybe 2 of each. table hold 12 or 14 .can not remember. they are $95 and i book mine within 24 hours of boarding .they fill up on some cruises and others they do not. just ask when you get on.

We noticed on Quest an arrangement using an adjacent table and 18 were at the chefs table on night and 20 another. Not sure if this affected the experience but it was how they coped with high demand.

On our recent cruise on Quest, we did the Chef's Table and there were only 10 of us. The sommelier was asking us if we were interested in either of the other Chef's Table evenings as he had a number of availabilities. We were also in Prime C a few times when other Chef's tables were scheduled and the table wasn't full.

We booked our specialty dining on day of boarding. We visited the booking table in Windows. We had specific dates we were interested in, with flexible options, and were able to book what we wanted. We are later diners and were pleased with the times available.

There are four dining times per night: 6:00, 6:30, 8:00 and 8:30. We had zero problems getting the nights we wanted, but sometimes we had to take 8:30 instead of 8:00 (didn't want the earlier sittings). Each time we dined there were several empty tables. Don't interrupt your SJU plans to go wait in a non-existent line. (IMO, the $30 per person fee does a good job of scaring away many potential diners.)

We noticed on Quest an arrangement using an adjacent table and 18 were at the chefs table on night and 20 another. Not sure if this affected the experience but it was how they coped with high demand.

I did a French dinner in the drawing room- I was sitting near the fireplace. they had to help me at one point as i wanted the ladies. i have seen them use the high tops. I was watching from the Prime C bar and isay he wonderful help were tired. but have seen 10 or less too.

Be advised that the "Chef's Table" may consist of those higher tables that essentially have bar stools as seats (height-wise). That was the way I saw it set up at the entrance to Prime C on our way to "regular" dining at Prime C on Journey for the Dec/Jan Holiday cruise 2014-2015. I personally dislike that height of table and seating, as I don't find it very comfortable, particularly for a leisurely meal with several courses (I like having my feet on the floor :) ), but will sit at it, if need be. I mention it here because those with mobility issues may find it hard to even sit at such a table. That said, my husband and I are looking forward to trying a "Chef's Table" on our upcoming Dec 2016 Holiday cruise.

Be advised that the "Chef's Table" may consist of those higher tables that essentially have bar stools as seats (height-wise). That was the way I saw it set up at the entrance to Prime C on our way to "regular" dining at Prime C on Journey for the Dec/Jan Holiday cruise 2014-2015. I personally dislike that height of table and seating, as I don't find it very comfortable, particularly for a leisurely meal with several courses (I like having my feet on the floor :) ), but will sit at it, if need be. I mention it here because those with mobility issues may find it hard to even sit at such a table. That said, my husband and I are looking forward to trying a "Chef's Table" on our upcoming Dec 2016 Holiday cruise.

A very good point, it's certainly an issue for me which is why it has to be a special table (like the one they plan for the Middle East trip) before I book now