Hotels in NOLA

momof5k

I have spent the day surfing the web, perusing Cruise Critic threads and making phone calls to hotels trying to decide where to stay four a few days before our August cruise (and where to park while sailing)

Here is what i have narrowed it down to:

The Holiday Inn on Royal Street has a park and cruise rate of $149.95 a night and it includes parking while sailing.

or

The Quality Inn Maison St Charles which does not offer free cruise parking anymore (apparently) but the AAA rate is $80.10 a night and parking is $17. This will mean paying for street car passes to and from the French Quarter (there are 10 in our group) but includes a continental breakfast. Hmmm..

or

There is the Parc St. Charles hotel near the quarter where the rate is $89 per night and parking (including while on the cruise) is $10 per night. This hotel has no breakfast, and no pool...

Sigh... :confused::confused:

Anyone have any feedback about any of these hotels they could share? Or suggestions for something else? When we sailed out of NOLA in 2011 we stayed at The Drury and liked the location, we could walk everywhere in the french quarter, lovely rooftop pool...and they had a park and cruise package. This was going to be our plan this time too but they are renovating and are not offering the parking package again until 2013. In the meantime, parking is $25 per night :(

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging in there and thanks in advance for any advise you can share!! :confused::confused:

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and the location is excellent. I would not base my bookings on a "breakfast". :) Location is what is important to me. :) Parking is in short supply in these areas and this seems to be a good deal for a week.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn and the location is excellent. I would not base my bookings on a "breakfast". :) Location is what is important to me. :) Parking is in short supply in these areas and this seems to be a good deal for a week.

Thanks Budget Queen! My hubby is a bit concerned staying SO close to the French Quarter and all the Bourbon street action with our kids. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks Budget Queen! My hubby is a bit concerned staying SO close to the French Quarter and all the Bourbon street action with our kids. Any thoughts on that?

There is no Buurbon St "action" on Royal. Bourbon stays on Bourbon, Royal is "artsy", and stays that way too. :)

You would have no problem in avoiding Bourbon all together if you choose to.

There is no Buurbon St "action" on Royal. Bourbon stays on Bourbon, Royal is "artsy", and stays that way too. :)

You would have no problem in avoiding Bourbon all together if you choose to.

Thank you!

• 2 months later...

We're sailing on the Navigator on a TA ending in New Orleans on Nov 17. Since we've never been to New Orleans so we're planning to stay an extra couple of days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel that's moderately priced? We'll be flying out early Mon morning. Any advice or suggestions anyone has regarding hotels, transportation from the port to the hotel to the airport & anything else we should know or be asking would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

We are going on a group cruise and the TA has us in Super 8... It is very inexpensive (like 77.00 nightly) and you can park and cruise...

Anyone stayed there? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true and is making me a little nervous.....

I have spent the day surfing the web, perusing Cruise Critic threads and making phone calls to hotels trying to decide where to stay four a few days before our August cruise (and where to park while sailing)

Here is what i have narrowed it down to:

The Holiday Inn on Royal Street has a park and cruise rate of $149.95 a night and it includes parking while sailing.

or

The Quality Inn Maison St Charles which does not offer free cruise parking anymore (apparently) but the AAA rate is $80.10 a night and parking is $17. This will mean paying for street car passes to and from the French Quarter (there are 10 in our group) but includes a continental breakfast. Hmmm..

or

There is the Parc St. Charles hotel near the quarter where the rate is $89 per night and parking (including while on the cruise) is $10 per night. This hotel has no breakfast, and no pool...

Sigh... :confused::confused:

Anyone have any feedback about any of these hotels they could share? Or suggestions for something else? When we sailed out of NOLA in 2011 we stayed at The Drury and liked the location, we could walk everywhere in the french quarter, lovely rooftop pool...and they had a park and cruise package. This was going to be our plan this time too but they are renovating and are not offering the parking package again until 2013. In the meantime, parking is $25 per night :(

If you have read this far, thanks for hanging in there and thanks in advance for any advise you can share!! :confused::confused:

As a local, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on Royal St. It is a good location for you to see things safely with the kids.

As a local, I would stay at the Holiday Inn on Royal St. It is a good location for you to see things safely with the kids.

Thanks so much Scott! That is exactly what i was hoping to hear ;)

We are going on a group cruise and the TA has us in Super 8... It is very inexpensive (like 77.00 nightly) and you can park and cruise...

Anyone stayed there? Thoughts? Seems too good to be true and is making me a little nervous.....

Sorry, no place I would ever consider staying, IF I were doing NO touring. You are miles away and will have to drive, then find parking, or take a costly cab back and forth. In my opinion, the only plus, is your parking. It is a lousy location otherwise.

Any suggestions for us staying in New Orleans after our Navigator sailing (It's a TA from Barcelona.) for a couple of days & then flying out? As I mentioned before, we don't know anything about the area thus the reason we decided to stay a couple of days after the cruise.

Thanks

Lynn

I stayed at Doubletree a few times; right across from Harrah's. I also stayed at Ramada on Burbon St; easy to walk around; I wanted to book the Hilton and the Marriott, I believe they are at Convention Area.

Where is it located?

6322 Chef Menteur Highway, I-10 Exit 240 B

I know nothing about the area.... Would like to be in a clean, safe area...

You do not want to stay there! the hotel is located in an area far from downtown and located in one of the least desirable locations imaginable. You are far removed from anything that someone could possibility want to be around. It is basically in the east where the area is still trying to come back from Katrina. I don't want to scare you, but I wouldn't let my worst enemy stay in that area.

Now, if you don't care about being downtown or near the French Quarter, you should reconsider and look at motels in Metairie. It is much safer. IMHO

Any suggestions for us staying in New Orleans after our Navigator sailing (It's a TA from Barcelona.) for a couple of days & then flying out? As I mentioned before, we don't know anything about the area thus the reason we decided to stay a couple of days after the cruise.

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn, we just spent a week at the French Market Inn and are going back in Dec for another week. Great old hotel, which they are currently upgrading. You can walk to anywhere from there. The staff is great and the rooms are clean. The New Orleans School of Cooking is right around the corner and well worth taking a class. If you need a more modern place with lots of "stuff" this may not work for you. If you like historic, clean, friendly and reasonable then give them a ring.

Lynn, we just spent a week at the French Market Inn and are going back in Dec for another week. Great old hotel, which they are currently upgrading. You can walk to anywhere from there. The staff is great and the rooms are clean. The New Orleans School of Cooking is right around the corner and well worth taking a class. If you need a more modern place with lots of "stuff" this may not work for you. If you like historic, clean, friendly and reasonable then give them a ring.

Good choice.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend and I are cruising out of NOLA in Feb.-Mar 2013. We just booked the Staybridge Inn and Suites before and after the cruise. Up to this point I have been pleased with the location (I know it is close to Drury Inn and Harrahs) and the price. Could someone tell me anything about this hotel and ease my mind a bit. Never been to NOLA before and we are staying 4 days after cruise. Thanks!!:D

This is NOT a safe area of town at all! I would not stay in New Orleans East. I am from New Orleans, and we do not drive out there at all. I would look at the Holiday Inn in Gretna, Hampton in Metairie, or Quality Inn on St. Charles.

Thank you for info. Have been trying to research places to eat n must do things. Four days may not be enough but still excited to do what I can within my budget. Any suggestions on restaurants and tours would be appreciated.

Good choice.

I'm sailing Jan. '13. In terms of good location, what does that mean? I haven't done any research yet on New Orleans. We are flying, not driving, so our location needs are (and in this order)

a) touring N.O.

b) getting to and from the cruise

c) getting to and from the airport.

I have no idea where the cruise port is in relation to the areas we will want to visit. Thanks for any input.

Lydia

Archived