What countries in Europe do Americans need VISA via cruise entry?

LoveAtomy

We are looking at Europe cruise next month and I was wondering which countries require Visa when entering via cruise? Are they considered the same entry whether we enter the country via cruise or regular ways (plane, cars, trains, etc)?

Thank you.

I take "cruise entry" to mean you are stopping in that country for a day stop, or possibly overnight. Not starting or ending your cruise there.

Only Russia requires a visa for cruise entry. Easily arranged by taking a cruise line or private tour, when the tour vendor provides visa coverage.

If you are starting or ending a cruise, Russia and Turkey require visas. No other European country requires a visa, for a visit, arriving by ship or plane, or land.

I see you list "Southeast Asia" as your home country. You need to dig deeper into this. The answers I gave were for Americans, and should apply for "cruise entry" to you. However, landing there on a plane may be different for you.

No to your second question. Different countries have different requirements depending on whether entering by cruise (as in a 1 day stop) vs flying in. That being said, I'm assuming u are American? Because each nationality will have their own rules. Currently all of the countries part of the European Union allow us citizens in without a visa, but they have threatened to change that, though there's no announced date that it would change. Russia will require a visa to fly in but if you do a cruise stop and take a tour a visa isn't needed. We stopped in turkey on a cruise a few years ago and a visa wasn't required but it may be if you are flying in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are looking at Europe cruise next month and I was wondering which countries require Visa when entering via cruise? Are they considered the same entry whether we enter the country via cruise or regular ways (plane, cars, trains, etc)?

Thank you.

I'll assume that by "Americans" you mean people from the U.S.A.? [Note that Canadians and Mexicans and Argentines and anybody else that lives in North or South America is an American. And sometimes citizens of some of those other countries get a bit miffed by the assumption that U.S.of A. citizens are the only Americans.]

So, best thing to do for U.S.A. citizens is to go the the State Department website and browse for their discussion of what visas U.S. citizens require for travel to Europe and everywhere else. Quite thorough information, worth checking out. Note that much of Europe is part of the Schengen Treaty zone - as I understand it this relates to the notion within EU that there should be free passage from one EU country to another. So, no border controls between countries. For us outsiders, this means that one Schengen visa gets us into the EU and from there we can enjoy free travel. But even that visa is usually not required for short term (less than 90 day) tourist visits. Check the website.

Stan

I'll assume that by "Americans" you mean people from the U.S.A.? [Note that Canadians and Mexicans and Argentines and anybody else that lives in North or South America is an American. And sometimes citizens of some of those other countries get a bit miffed by the assumption that U.S.of A. citizens are the only Americans.]

So, best thing to do for U.S.A. citizens is to go the the State Department website and browse for their discussion of what visas U.S. citizens require for travel to Europe and everywhere else. Quite thorough information, worth checking out. Note that much of Europe is part of the Schengen Treaty zone - as I understand it this relates to the notion within EU that there should be free passage from one EU country to another. So, no border controls between countries. For us outsiders, this means that one Schengen visa gets us into the EU and from there we can enjoy free travel. But even that visa is usually not required for short term (less than 90 day) tourist visits. Check the website.

Stan

This is, at best, very confusing. Generally, it is wrong. A US passport owner needs NO visa of any type to go to the EU, or any other standard European country. NONE! We have flown into, and land traveled in, almost all of the EU and Schengen countries, and have NEVER had a visa. (We are US passport holders.) Yes, we have been there under 90 days for all of our visits. But why bring up that? It just confuses things. Probably only a student, or someone one on a business assignment might trigger any visa requirements.

Europeans (and most of the rest of the world) can travel between European countries just like US citizens travel between US states. We just cross the border, without any checks or restrictions. That is what the Schengen Treaty is about.

As mentioned before, Russia and Turkey require visas. Russia, for any visit (if you are not covered by a cruise ship or tour vendor's visa). Turkey, for any visit, other than a partial day cruise ship visit. So, for example, if you are flying into Istanbul to get on a ship, you need a visa. But if you are just stopping in Kusasasi for 9 hours, no visa is required.

Edited by CruiserBruce

This is, at best, very confusing. Generally, it is wrong. A US passport owner needs NO visa of any type to go to the EU, or any other standard European country. NONE! We have flown into, and land traveled in, almost all of the EU and Schengen countries, and have NEVER had a visa. (We are US passport holders.) Yes, we have been there under 90 days for all of our visits. But why bring up that? It just confuses things. Probably only a student, or someone one on a business assignment might trigger any visa requirements.

Sorry to confuse you Bruce. I guess you didn't read the last line of my post where I said that typically a visa would not be required. People who have not traveled may think of Europe as separate countries. The OP was treating European countries as separate countries. For our purposes, the EU is all one "country" under the Schengen agreement. This is useful background for a novice traveler as it can help them understand why they don't need to worry about Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. but rather only look to the EU requirements. Which, as I said, will probably not involve a visa.

Again, sorry if this confused you Bruce.

No to your second question. Different countries have different requirements depending on whether entering by cruise (as in a 1 day stop) vs flying in. That being said, I'm assuming u are American? Because each nationality will have their own rules. Currently all of the countries part of the European Union allow us citizens in without a visa, but they have threatened to change that, though there's no announced date that it would change. Russia will require a visa to fly in but if you do a cruise stop and take a tour a visa isn't needed. We stopped in turkey on a cruise a few years ago and a visa wasn't required but it may be if you are flying in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not exactly true. A Visa is required if you want to get off the ship in Russia. But there are various types of Visas. An American can apply for a personal tourist Visa (not easy to get..and quite expensive) which will allow him/her to tour Russia on their own (we have done this on one cruise). One can also book a tour/excursion with a licensed Russian tour provider or a cruise ship excursion which also uses a Russian licensed tour provider. Those licensed tour providers will cover you under their Group Visa (and will e-mail the appropriate Visa document that allows you off the ship). So, any US Passport holder who gets off the ship does have a Visa...be it a personal Visa or coverage under a Group Visa.

Hank

Sorry to confuse you Bruce. I guess you didn't read the last line of my post where I said that typically a visa would not be required. People who have not traveled may think of Europe as separate countries. The OP was treating European countries as separate countries. For our purposes, the EU is all one "country" under the Schengen agreement. This is useful background for a novice traveler as it can help them understand why they don't need to worry about Spain, Italy, Germany, etc. but rather only look to the EU requirements. Which, as I said, will probably not involve a visa.

Again, sorry if this confused you Bruce.

This isn't technically true, the UK is part of the EU, but NOT part of the Schengen agreement. You WON'T need a visa to visit the UK, but you will undergo immigration checks if you arrive from another EU country and the USA of course.

Not exactly true. A Visa is required if you want to get off the ship in Russia. But there are various types of Visas. An American can apply for a personal tourist Visa (not easy to get..and quite expensive) which will allow him/her to tour Russia on their own (we have done this on one cruise). One can also book a tour/excursion with a licensed Russian tour provider or a cruise ship excursion which also uses a Russian licensed tour provider. Those licensed tour providers will cover you under their Group Visa (and will e-mail the appropriate Visa document that allows you off the ship). So, any US Passport holder who gets off the ship does have a Visa...be it a personal Visa or coverage under a Group Visa.

Hank

Lots of folk on this thread being pedantic, Hank.

I'll join them :D ..........

No visa is required for cruise visitors to St Petersburg to join a tour with a licensed operator (including ship's tours).

It's not a "group visa", the visit is visa free. Some tour operators & mebbe some cruise lines muddy the water by incorrectly referring to a "group visa", but the tour booking gets you through immigration without a visa.

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ru&u=http://www.rg.ru/2003/09/03/kruizinostrantsy.html

Like I say, I'm being pedantic - because whether it's a group visa or visa-free makes no odds for 99.9 percent of cruise visitors.

But for instance cruisers can enter Russian waters without a visa & stay in port on the ship without a visa

JB :)