The gorgeous beaches of the BVI

blue_water

I would have the driver return to Smuggler's a couple hours before back on board time so you will know if you need to call another. But the drivers usually trust you to pay after the return so you should be good.

We love Smuggler's because it gets fewer people and is just a nice beach with nice views of Jost. Long Bay is just before Smuggler's and is also a nice, long walking beach where pelicans like to dive. Long Bay is pictured at the top of the Tortola forum page on tripadvisor, and Smuggler's is just beyond the hill.

Edited by blue_water

• 5 months later...

Just bumping this thread because there have been some questions on the difference between the Tortola beaches. No major changes, CGB is the busiest, Brewers Bay quite a bit less busy, and Long Bay a nice quiet beach. CGB and Brewers are the best options for amenities. Last report is there are still no vendors at Smuggler's Cove so not an option for amenities.

Thank you for all your info. We will be in Tortola the end of March and was looking at an excursion to Jost Van Dyke, White Bay beach. After reading a few reviews I am concerned that this a party beach with a lot of boats pulling in. Is there an area of the beach that has a quiet area with some snorkeling?

Would Brewers Beach be a better option?

Yes White Bay is quite busy most days, especially in high season and on weekends. You can find a less crowded area too. But in my opinion if you're interested in snorkeling Brewers would be the better choice. Maybe not as much fun as White Bay but certainly much closer and Nicole's has anything you want.

You can watch the web cam at Soggy $, that and the other bars will likely be very busy.

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam.aspx

Could you expand a little on Long Bay and give us a more up to date description? Is there no resort there any more? Can you rent chairs and is there shade and food? Thanks!

HI! The Long Bay Resort offered 2 day pass options to day visitors, one included access to their pool and pool bar, and the other added a sandwich and 2 drinks. However that part of the resort has closed and just the oceanfront part of the resort remains open I'm told. So you'd have to contact the resort to ask if these are still available.

<reservations@eliteislands.com>

Otherwise there is a beach side restaurant and I'm sure if loungers are free and folks staying there aren't using them you would be OK using them. Sebastian's restaurant is a short walk drive but it's over a small steep hill. You'll pass it on the way to LB.

Sorry I can't be of more help! :(

HI! The Long Bay Resort offered 2 day pass options to day visitors, one included access to their pool and pool bar, and the other added a sandwich and 2 drinks. However that part of the resort has closed and just the oceanfront part of the resort remains open I'm told. So you'd have to contact the resort to ask if these are still available.

<reservations@eliteislands.com>

Otherwise there is a beach side restaurant and I'm sure if loungers are free and folks staying there aren't using them you would be OK using them. Sebastian's restaurant is a short walk drive but it's over a small steep hill. You'll pass it on the way to LB.

Sorry I can't be of more help! :(

I wrote to the LBR because I was also interested in the situation there. They no longer sell day passes, and the hillside rooms and large pool are no longer in use as I knew. Some units are owned (as condos) but with many of the resort amenities goner like the pool and swim up bar the rental opportunities are no doubt suffering.

But they do rent loungers for $5 each and have a pool by the beach restaurant and the restaurant and bar are open to the public as usual. They also offer use of the tennis courts for $25/hr per court.

LB is a gorgeous, long beach and much quieter than CGB or even Brewers on ship days. If you're looking for a nice beach with great views rather than snorkeling LB is a great choice. It's a bit rocky to the left of the beachfront rooms so you'll want to walk toward the restaurant if swimming.

Hope that helps!:)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

blue-water,

Thanks for the wonderful information you supplied in your post of July 10, 2013. If you are still posting please advise. We will be in Tortola in Feb. 2016 and are looking at the safari drive but would like to enjoy LUNCH at one of the beaches you described. We are not beach people due to skin cancer but do enjoy lunch at a restaurant overlooking a beach. Please recommend some place to us. Thanks.

blue-water,

Thanks for the wonderful information you supplied in your post of July 10, 2013. If you are still posting please advise. We will be in Tortola in Feb. 2016 and are looking at the safari drive but would like to enjoy LUNCH at one of the beaches you described. We are not beach people due to skin cancer but do enjoy lunch at a restaurant overlooking a beach. Please recommend some place to us. Thanks.

Hi, you are certainly welcome and thanks for reading!

For a nice lunch on a beach where you can easily get a table in an open-air but shaded spot I'd recommend Myett's in Cane Garden Bay. CGB will be somewhat busy, but they offer a nice lunch and it's a great spot right by the water for people watching too. The staff is great there and they also have a bar to relax at after lunch.

Right next door is Tony's (previously Stanley's Welcome Bar, cousin Tony took it over in '05 or so) and they have our favorite cheeseburger in paradise and fish tacos and the girls are great there. But Myett's is a bit more of a restaurant and probably has more menu items.

Taxi is $8pp each way on the safari taxi and you'll get a mini-tour of the island to boot!

Enjoy!

Thanks again blue water. I really appreciate someone with great local knowledge assisting those of us with issues. We are senior citizens who refuse to stop traveling but we both must stay out of sun as much as possible. We do love to enjoy local foods and scenery. I am certain our visit to Tortola will be great because of you and your advice. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

wonderful information you supplied blue-water can you supply information regarding Shark Bay National Park entrance fee etc what to find see there cost of taxi fares for 6 adults + Return

We are at Tortola on Sunday 10th January 2016 on New ship Britannia

thank you

wonderful information you supplied blue-water can you supply information regarding Shark Bay National Park entrance fee etc what to find see there cost of taxi fares for 6 adults + Return

We are at Tortola on Sunday 10th January 2016 on New ship Britannia

thank you

Hello! We have not yet visited the SB National Park so cannot help with the admissions fee, sorry.

The taxi would take you over Ridge Road which is the spine of the island and drop you at the last switchback on Brewers Bay Road before descending into Brewers Bay. The fare should be $8pp each way.

The BVI forum on TTOL is another source where you can ask this of locals or others who may have done this -

traveltalkonline dot com

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Thanks again blue water. I really appreciate someone with great local knowledge assisting those of us with issues. We are senior citizens who refuse to stop traveling but we both must stay out of sun as much as possible. We do love to enjoy local foods and scenery. I am certain our visit to Tortola will be great because of you and your advice. Thanks

I meant to follow up with another option, Bananakeet is an open-air restaurant/bar within a small hotel (Heritage Inn) just over the hill from CGB. It's not a beach restaurant but does offer spectacular panoramic views of Carrot, Apple, and Long Bays as well as the islands. You'd have to call Chris & Bonkey to be sure they are open at 1-877-831-7230 (toll free). heritageinnbvi dot com

A nice day would be a 1 hour island tour and having the driver drop you there or in CGB for the beach and water views. Just another thought!

And for an even nicer experience the Sugar Mill is an upscale resort just down from Heritage Inn and offers dining in their beachside restaurant. Their site is sugarmillhotel dot com.

Edited by blue_water

• 1 month later...

Hi Blue, we will be in Tortola on an NCL cruise in the beginning of April. Our boys would love to try surfing and I've read Josiah's Bay is good for that. Will there be surf in April? Also, how far of a taxi ride is it to that bay? Will the taxis come back and pick us up? I'm just a bit concerned since it is supposed to be a very quiet beach and I don't want us to get stuck there! :)

If we take the ferry to the Baths i heard their is a less crowded option near by. My DH dislikes crowds

Spring Bay is the less crowded option. We walked there after The Baths and Devil's Bay and literally had the beach to ourselves for about two hours. The same taxis that take you to The Baths will take you and pick you up at Spring Bay. Just be sure to make those arrangements with them that day because they will not automatically stop at Spring Bay.

Hi Blue, we will be in Tortola on an NCL cruise in the beginning of April. Our boys would love to try surfing and I've read Josiah's Bay is good for that. Will there be surf in April? Also, how far of a taxi ride is it to that bay? Will the taxis come back and pick us up? I'm just a bit concerned since it is supposed to be a very quiet beach and I don't want us to get stuck there! :)

Yes Josiah's is probably the best choice. The taxi is about 20 - 25 min and $8pp each way. You would want to coordinate with the driver to return for you, he probably won't charge you until you are back at the port.

We haven't visited Josiah's yet so can't help with details but I believe there is an outfit giving lessons there, or have you already contacted someone there?

https://www.facebook.com/SurfSchoolBVI

http://www.surfschoolbvi.com/

Hi Blue Water,

Just wanted to thank you for your incredible advice and information! We just returned from the Gem 10 day and went to Brewers Bay on our own. Taxis were handled so efficiently -- right at the dispatch center at the end of the pier. Our driver was awesome, very cautious, and returned to get us at our agreed-upon time. We paid him upon the return trip. My husband had been concerned since time in port was so short, but this ran so smoothly! Thanks again for the advice -- we had a beautiful morning of snorkeling at this gorgeous beach!

CTGen04