Nile River Cruise- Ms Giselle

BOFUSTRAVEL

As far as I know, there is no wireless connection on board, but you may want to check that with Uniworld. There was an internet cafe near our docking place in Luxor, but it was much more difficult to find such a place in Egypt than in other places I've traveled.

Forgot to answer the other part of your question; no free wireless connection at the Cairo Marriott, but there was a business center. I personally found no time to use it, and as I recall, the listed price seemed rather expensive. On board the Giselle, I think the connection price was $9.00 (USD) for 30 minutes. In the internet cafe in Luxor, it was 10 LE or $2.00 USD for 30 minutes.

I just thought of a few other things that will be helpful to you:

1. There is at least one atm on the reception level at the Cairo Marriott. In addition, on that same level there are two banks that are open 24 hours that can change your Egyptian pounds or USD into smaller bills.

2. Include in your luggage 2-3 travel rolls of toilet paper--we found them at REI, a camping specialty store. Otherwise, you will have to tip an attendant everytime you enter a restroom to obtain paper. These rolls were very convenient and fit inside a pocket. Very handy also if you end up with a touch of the "stomach problems" so prevalent in Egypt.

3. You will probably be connecting through Frankfurt airport if Uniworld arranged your air. We find that airport to be very confusing, so be on your toes and ask for directions! It's not so bad connecting to go to Cairo, but when you return you're in a different terminal and will have a long way to go--then you have to go through security again!

4. When returning from Cairo, place any spare batteries in your checked luggage. I had about six extra AA and 3 AAA, and the took them all. I think someone just wanted to sell them to friends as they are certainly not a security threat.

Please don't hesitate if you have other questions!

PJTRAVLER (PAULA)

Thank You for the info. I setup a staging area for packing today we leave on the 14th then we meet up with Uniworld on the 18th. I have 4 Charmin To Go Toilet Paper (2 for each of us.) Trip iternary is California to Seattle, Paris, Cairo. Return trip Jordan, Paris & Belguim (for 7 days). We are doing both Abu Simbel and Petra. Yes I agree with you Frankfurt AP is very confusing.

With all the different climate changes it is going to be a challange packing 1 bag, 1 carry on. I will be layering.

What was security at Cairo aiport like? Do they accept

3oz liquids in a ziptop? Again, Thank You. Letteanne

PJTRAVLER (PAULA)

What was security at Cairo aiport like? Do they accept

3oz liquids in a ziptop? Again, Thank You. Letteanne

security in Cairo was not so demanding. They xray your liquids and let them through. For me that was one bottle of water and one of ice tea(1 liter each)

I had my plastic bag with the 3 oz iiquids in my carryon, and there was no problem. The only problem was with my batteries. The also questioned my luggage scale-didn't know what it was, but after I explained it went through fine. Next time I'll put it in checked baggage, just didn't want to put it back in after I had just weighed it!

Archived