Accessibility at Ports in Canada

We are travelling on the Maasdam from Montreal, Canada to Boston, MA in June/July. I'd like to get advise on accessiblity at each of the ports. We stop in the following ports: Quebec City, Charlottetown, Prince Edward, Syndney, Halifax and Bar Harbor.

My husband can't walk long distances because of a spinal injury so we have a scooter that he will be using. Does anyone have experience with wheelchairs or scooters in these ports? How far is it from the ship to tour buses, taxis or the port towns? Are there excursions that you can recommend for people with mobility issues? Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Halifax is easy. The place where the ships dock is on what is called the boardwalk (runs along the Harbour). Although it is not just made of boards and has pavement and some areas of crushed granite, it is an easy ride on a scooter all the way to the entertainment, restaurant and shopping area. It was built with accessibility in mind. If you don't want to take an organized tour, you don't have to do so but the buses load up right in front of the building where your ship docks.

Your ship docks next to a wonderful immigration museum called Pier 21 that is in the same building. Fully accessible and a joy to visit.

Halifax is a wonderful place to visit. I was just up there in May. Although the city rises up from the Harbour in steps like a wedding cake, the area down by the Harbour is extremely accessible. There is a Visitor Information building on the boardwalk. You can get all sorts of free info there.

I had many good meals in Halifax. If you feel like getting a meal off your ship, it is easy to do.

Thanks for the information about Halifax! I was hoping that some of the ports had short walks from the ship to points of interest and transportation. We went on a cruise last May to the Western Caribbean (before we bought the scooter) and a couple of the docks were very long.

In Halifax you dock at a building, a famous building in fact. It is not very deep front to back. The boardwalk is a fair amout of walking/rolling to get to the heart of the various attractions, but is easy going.

The hospitality in Halifax is great! I love visiting there. As my late mother used to say 'it is a very civil place'.

There are many Canadian residents who answer questions on this part of CC. I hope they give you more complete answers to your questions.

you'll have no problems here the busses are with in 50 to 60 feet from where you will be getting off as for places to see thants another thing their is a small historic section not far from the wharf but if want to see any of the attractions i would suggest booking your own car or a local copmay to take you to where you'd like to go.If your intrested I can suggest some local companys to this for you . Hope this helps.

The dock in Quebec City is quite accessible. The buses can actually drive right up alongside the ships in dock. The only thing is that the dockside promenade is brick paviers, so can be a tad bumpy! The ramps they use to get off the ship are also not too steep, and the dock is right in the heart of Lower Town. The streets do tend to be on the narrow side, however, so that may be an issue, as the fact that you have to climb a great big hill to get to Upper Town and the rest of the old city. However, if you're interested in visiting the Musée de la civilisation (Museum of Civilization) it's right opposite the dock and fully accessible.

Archived