Ebola scare?

pearose

Has anyone heard of any port changes or scares of Ebola or worried about Ebola on any of the Carnival Caribbean cruises?

When did ebola show up in the Caribbean? And what are all the responses about mentioning Africa?

Edited by Bookbug53

Here's one link and there are others if you google "cruiselines cancel itineraries to Africa"

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/travel/278296471.html

That is the same thing I saw on another website. Ok, that makes me feel better. No I have not heard anything about Ebola being found in the Caribbean. Was just curious if anyone else had heard anything about any of their cruises being affected by an Ebola scare.

In the meantime, use bug spray because cases of chikungunya are increasing on several islands -Sint Maarten, the Dominican Republic and the San Juan and Old San Juan area of Puerto Rico. Dengue fever is still out and about too.

Precautions like DEET work, scare tactics don't.

I just read a news website that said Holland America changed one of their itineraries, but Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean do not have any ships going to the affected areas.

CCL, RCL, and NCL all have divisions that go to African ports. But the Carnival, Royal, and Norwegian brands do not.

It's already popped up in my hometown (Dallas, TX) so I wouldn't be surprise if a case hits the Caribbean sometime soon. I think we'll continue to see more and more ebola cases outside Africa as time goes by unfortunately.

Not a worry for me though...I'm going to enjoy my cruise, no matter what the current disaster or epidemic is.

It's already popped up in my hometown (Dallas, TX) so I wouldn't be surprise if a case hits the Caribbean sometime soon. I think we'll continue to see more and more ebola cases outside Africa as time goes by unfortunately.

Not a worry for me though...I'm going to enjoy my cruise, no matter what the current disaster or epidemic is.

I am from Dallas too, and am not really worried about it here even.......and I definitely won't let it ruin my cruise! We sail in February and I can't wait. Was just wondering if anyone had heard or knew anything about any changes in the cruise lines because of it.

I live in SW Florida. We've had a few scares but, that's all they were.

I work for the local hospital and we've taken great measures to prepare for the situation should it occur. Thus far, nothing.

Hopefully it remains that way, however, with the number of tourists we "host" each fall / winter the possibility is very real.

With that said, wash your hands after you touch just about anything and learn the facts about how it's spread. The CDC website is a good starting point to learn about the epidemic and how to keep yourself safe.

I am from Dallas too, and am not really worried about it here even.......and I definitely won't let it ruin my cruise! We sail in February and I can't wait. Was just wondering if anyone had heard or knew anything about any changes in the cruise lines because of it.

Its early yet. keep reading but hopefully this will not spread.

VERY strange to hear you guys talking about an Ebola scare affecting cruises to the Caribbean???

Where in the world are you getting this information and why are you worried about stuff that hasn't happened?

The one case in Dallas seems to be contained no thanks to the hospital that originally sent the patient home to infect others!!

Hopefully this disease, which spread in Africa due to terrible sanitary conditions, will not come here or will not spread in the same way if more cases appear.

The USA, despite its shortcomings, is not a 3rd world country!

I would think European sailings would be more likely to see changes than those in the Caribbean. The first case contracted outside of Africa is a nurse in Spain.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/10/07/after-nurse-contracts-ebola-spanish-health-workers-raise-concerns-about-protective-equipment/

That said, I don't think it's anything to be super worried about on a cruise. The virus is mostly transmitted from victims to people who have close contact with them, either caring for them while they are sick or their bodies after they have passed away. So unless you planned to do some humanitarian medical work on a cruise, you will probably be just fine.

Thinking ebola won't spread is naive at best. It is much more likely to spread by air than cruise ship.

I agree with this 100%! TPTB won't tell you this lest hysteria seeps in. Soak some hand towels in bleach and place in a baggy and pack. It will kill many viruses. That's my plan.

VERY strange to hear you guys talking about an Ebola scare affecting cruises to the Caribbean???

Where in the world are you getting this information and why are you worried about stuff that hasn't happened?

The one case in Dallas seems to be contained no thanks to the hospital that originally sent the patient home to infect others!!

Hopefully this disease, which spread in Africa due to terrible sanitary conditions, will not come here or will not spread in the same way if more cases appear.

The USA, despite its shortcomings, is not a 3rd world country!

The fact is that ebola can live outside the human body both in a liquid or dry state for a number of days. There is nothing wrong with educating yourself and practicing safe behaviors while in public places like airports. While I have no plans to let paranoia ruins any of my vacation time I will also not be touching everything I come across and then picking my nose. Just be smart and have a good time!

I'd be more worried about crew from affected countries. The long incubation period makes it kind of scary. There is much that is not known yet about Ebola. The nurse in Spain who contracted it was wearing a head to toe protective suit with respirator.

But balance that out with the knowledge there are a LOT of nasty bugs in the world. Every year over 2000 cases of bubonic plague are reported world wide.

But the flu takes the cake.... each year on average 26,000 people die of it in the US alone.

Wash your hands.