So PhotoBucket now getting free ads on this site.

framer

I hope a moderator pickup on what I'm going to say here and passes my thoughts along to the powers that keep this board up.

Photobucket is getting free ads place on this system by removing member place content with their ads of their product. If they just placed a blank space I could live with that but I'm being forced to view their ads which I'm guessing are being push on this board which is not receiving ad revenue from them.

Currently I exploring ways to remove them from sites I run.

framer

The general consensus across the internet is they're getting free negative advertisement!

I know a couple of boards that are actually rewriting their code to prohibit links from PB.

The general consensus across the internet is they're getting free negative advertisement!

I know a couple of boards that are actually rewriting their code to prohibit links from PB.

I hope a concerted effort by other groups be made towards this end.

I figured a way. Every bulletin board software I used has a censor function. If you enter/list photobucket.com into the censor, instantly every ad disappears. You might and I've not confirmed this use the .htaccess file to halt the PB from posting it ads. I'll be checking that out tomorrow.

framer

The problem with that is you'll also cut the photos of people with paid PB accounts that are showing up. Most of those are going to transition away I'm sure (including mine) as there's a big difference from $20 a year for bandwidth and $399 a year for 3rd party hosting...

I hope a moderator pickup on what I'm going to say here and passes my thoughts along to the powers that keep this board up.

Photobucket is getting free ads place on this system by removing member place content with their ads of their product. If they just placed a blank space I could live with that but I'm being forced to view their ads which I'm guessing are being push on this board which is not receiving ad revenue from them.

Currently I exploring ways to remove them from sites I run.

framer

I agree with PP. PB "ads" aren't really positive.

I see your point but look at it from PB. Third party hosting isn't generating any revenue. I can't imagine how much bandwidth is being used by CC members.. Not only are posters on CC using PB for dozens of photos in a review post (thread) but other posters include the pictures in quoting. I see your point but the other side is probably more valid.

PB decided to only offer third party hosting to customers willing to pay $$$. People like free. People don't want to pay what PB is charging. Remove your PB links and the "free ads" won't appear. Can't edit your posts to remove the link? Complain to cruise critic. You cancel your health club membership. Do you go to the club every day and swipe your expired card? No. Why should you continue to link to an expired PB account? Or at least an account with expired third party hosting? The current "ad" is intended to motivate posters to either upgrade their PB account or remove their links.

Cruise Critic is a commercial site. Why aren't they doing the hosting? Give every member a free allowance. Pay extra for more? Let Cruise Critic negotiate with PB.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote to Cruise Critic ask if something could be done to alert people that Photobucket hosted pictures are going to disappear (in my case after Aug 16). If that could be done, I would be willing to post the photographs again from my new SmugMug account. I asked about adding a new post # 1. CC reply that they cannot add a new post # 1, but can add something to the beginning of the current post # 1. All that is needed is a note that the photos are now at the end of the comments. Here CC's reply ...

If you want to email the new paragraph I can put it at the top of your post 1. There is no way I could find to make a new post 1 so that may be our best option

Let me know if that works for you

Jenn K

Senior Community Support

IndependentTraveler.com / CruiseCritic.com / FamilyVacationCritic.com